sorry about that my key board is acting up

Old August 5th 05, 10:50 AM
Stephen Lombardo

Default sorry about that my key board is acting up

I was going to ask if anyone knows if nasa can use the Enterprise to
build a replacement for Columbia?

Old August 5th 05, 11:08 AM
Brian Lawrence

"Stephen Lombardo" wrote:

I was going to ask if anyone knows if nasa can use the Enterprise to
build a replacement for Columbia?

No.

Even if they could they wouldn't do so now, the shuttle program is
winding down and all remaining vehicles will be retired by 2010.

--

Brian

Old August 5th 05, 11:49 AM
Brian Gaff

Well, I think this has come up before. I think the answer then, and this
was asked no doubt when they lost Challenger as well, was, It could be, but
won't be. Enterprise is older and heavier, and has not got rcc or the
current system of heat shielding. Has it even got engines and the real
innards?

Brian

Old August 5th 05, 11:53 AM
elyob

"Stephen Lombardo" wrote in message
I was going to ask if anyone knows if nasa can use the Enterprise to
build a replacement for Columbia?

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy no

Old August 5th 05, 02:48 PM
Craig Cocca

Stephen,

Is it POSSIBLE that NASA could technically modify Enterprise to fly in
space? Yes.

Is it practical or cost effective, especially now that the sun is
setting on the STS program? No.

Originally, NASA had planned to modify Enterprise for spaceflight after
it completed the Approach and Landing Tests (ALT) up at Dryden in the
1970s. However, NASA was also in the process of using several other
partial Orbiter airframes, called Static Test Articles (STA) to perform
vibration tests and fit checks in support of the overall program. One
of the STA's, known as STA-099, was in a position to be built up into a
space-worthy orbiter, whereas Enterprise would've required extensive
disassembly and modification. Thus, the decision was made to build up
STA-099 into OV-099 "Challenger" as a cost-saving measure.

Today, 28 years later, Enterprise is on display at the Smithsonian Air
and Space Museum, after spending several years sitting statically at
Dulles Airport. I would imagine that it would be an even bigger
project now to refit Enterprise for spaceflight, given the fact that it
hasn't see the light of an Orbiter Processing Facility in 25 years.

-Craig

Old August 5th 05, 04:36 PM
Brian Gaff

Even if they could they wouldn't do so now, the shuttle program is
winding down and all remaining vehicles will be retired by 2010.

How quickly things can change though. I don't mean Enterprise, I mean 2010.

It really depends on whether they lose another Shuttle. They cannot really
afford to.

Brian

Email: