Local Astronomy Education on the Budget Chopping Block

Old February 20th 05, 03:35 PM
Mark C. Farrington

Default Local Astronomy Education on the Budget Chopping Block

I just recently moved to the Memphis, TN area and I'm getting back into
the astronomy hobby. I'm still looking into the local resources I have
available to me and last nights news left me a little saddened.

The Memphis city government announced yesterday that they are shutting
down the Sharpe Planetarium ( http://www.memphismuseums.org/planet.htm )
in addition to many other programs such as city youth sports leagues
because of budget issues.

I haven't had an opportunity to make it out to Sharpe yet and I hope I
can before it shuts down.
Old February 20th 05, 06:00 PM
Davoud

Mark C. Farrington:

I just recently moved to the Memphis, TN area and I'm getting back into
the astronomy hobby. I'm still looking into the local resources I have
available to me and last nights news left me a little saddened.

The Memphis city government announced yesterday that they are shutting
down the Sharpe Planetarium ( http://www.memphismuseums.org/planet.htm )
in addition to many other programs such as city youth sports leagues
because of budget issues.

I haven't had an opportunity to make it out to Sharpe yet and I hope I
can before it shuts down.

Do you have any ideas as to how the City of Memphis could continue to
fund the planetarium and the other programs to which you referred?

Davoud
Old February 22nd 05, 02:01 PM
west

"Mark C. Farrington" wrote in message
.. .
I just recently moved to the Memphis, TN area and I'm getting back into
the astronomy hobby. I'm still looking into the local resources I have
available to me and last nights news left me a little saddened.

The Memphis city government announced yesterday that they are shutting
down the Sharpe Planetarium ( http://www.memphismuseums.org/planet.htm )
in addition to many other programs such as city youth sports leagues
because of budget issues.

I haven't had an opportunity to make it out to Sharpe yet and I hope I
can before it shuts down.

What kind of equipment is housed at the Sharpe Planetarium and how much will
it cost to keep it floating?
Cordially,
west

Old February 23rd 05, 07:02 AM
Mystical Mary

its happening everywhere. No need to fret. We will all be dead soon
due to no health care while the health industry buys Argentina and France
and moves its executives there, on a free ride from Congress and local
city governments!
Good luck.