FWIW: ST Enterprise Cancelled

Old February 3rd 05, 03:50 AM
Andre Lieven

Default FWIW: ST Enterprise Cancelled

Finding the news on the 'Net tonight, and between Paramount, on their
site, and several major papers, all reporting that Enterprise is
cancelled, and will end it's run of new episodes in May.

Andre

--
" I'm a man... But, I can change... If I have to... I guess. "
The Man Prayer, Red Green.
Old February 3rd 05, 04:31 AM
gb

"Andre Lieven" wrote in message

Finding the news on the 'Net tonight, and between Paramount, on their
site, and several major papers, all reporting that Enterprise is
cancelled, and will end it's run of new episodes in May.

Andre

Here is the Press Release
http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...icle/9469.html

02.02.2005
Star Trek: Enterprise Cancelled!

After four seasons, Star Trek: Enterprise has reached the end of its mission
PRESS RELEASE

UPN and Paramount Network Television have jointly announced that this will
be the final season of Star Trek: Enterprise on UPN. [Production will
continue until the end of this season, which will finish shooting in March.]
The series finale will air on Friday, May 13, 2005.

Old February 3rd 05, 06:14 AM
Pat Flannery

Andre Lieven wrote:

Finding the news on the 'Net tonight, and between Paramount, on their
site, and several major papers, all reporting that Enterprise is
cancelled, and will end it's run of new episodes in May.

"Not with a bang, but a yawn".
Anyway...I'm thinking that it's going to be a matter of minutes before
Jolene Blalock gets a call from Playboy; it worked for Claudia
Christian, it can work here also....better yet...Jolene Blalock AND Jeri
Ryan....together! Yes! Borg Amok Time! Then on to the next Trek
series...an all-lesbian Trek Series! Gates McFadden, Denise Crosby,
Marina Sirtis, Jolene Blalock, Jeri Ryan, Linda Park....and Kirstie
Alley as the slightly chubby Vulcan/Romulan captain of the Lesbos class
starship "Sappho"- NCC-XXX!
And the evil enemy race of the Butchoids they must fight! Claudia
Christian, Andrea Thompson, Denise Crosby (as an evil Butchoid clone)
and their horny-headed dominatrix captain Mira Furlan!
And the strange race of mutant lesbians that both races shall encounter!
Famke Janssen, Halle Berry, Anna Paquin, Rebecca Romijn-Stamos, Denise
Crosby (as a mutant clone of the evil Butchoid clone) and Anna
Nicole-Smith as the strange mutant lesbian leader with the power to suck
the very life energy from men's wallets!
IT'S GOING TO BE GREAT!!!!!!! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Pat
Old February 3rd 05, 10:15 AM
OM

On 3 Feb 2005 03:50:55 GMT, (Andre Lieven)
wrote:

Finding the news on the 'Net tonight, and between Paramount, on their
site, and several major papers, all reporting that Enterprise is
cancelled, and will end it's run of new episodes in May.

....This comes as AbZero surprise. Viacom wants to retool UPeNis into a
different kind of network, one that has a different viewer focus that
also includes trying to gain minority viewers away from the WB of all
places. The problem there is that their top-rated show is geared
towards the inbred audience - the ones that masturbate to something
pretending to be professional wrestling(*) - and if they're going to
recast their currently worthless network into the image they want,
they're going to have to drop the wrestling show as well.

....One thing Viacom and UPN have been guilty of from "Broken Bow"
onwards is the lack of real advertisement for "Enterprise". What they
clearly did was push the first episode - which they did - and then
expect the fans to do UPNs advertising for them. IOW, "We're not going
to spend extra $$$ on 'Star Trek'. If the fans know what's good for
them, they'll spread the word for us and bug the hell out of their
non-Trekkie friends to watch the show or else!" This is nothing new,
as the comic book industry - especially DC Comics - has been pulling
that **** for the past 30 years.

...."Enterprise" wasn't without its flaws, tho. Berman and Braga,
instead of riding the coattails of the concepts seen in the other
series, tried to make the show into something more along the lines of
a National Geographic special at times. True, seeing Brave New Worlds
for the "first" time works, but not to the extent that those two
schmucks pushed it. There should have been more episodes dealing with
the conflict with the Klingons, and the Romulan episode should have
been done during the first season as well. The whole Suliban mess
should have been ended with the pilot, and we should have seen the
Temporal Cold War heat up a lot sooner than it did.

....The third season Xindi arc had its good points and bad points. The
worst of all being shared by two aspects of the ending. First, the
aliens who were behind the Xindi were never fully explained, and
secondly, when the Xindi were stopped, their backers were immediately
replaced with the threat of the Alien Space Nazis. It wasn't the fact
that the Xindi wrapup featured the Enterprise vs Alien Space Nazis, it
was that the second group of evil aliens were unnecessary. All Berman
and Braga had to do was have the Xindi backers get stuck in WWII, and
have the final showdown featuring them getting what they deserve. A
poignant revenge scene with Trip getting to make the decision whether
to blow the Xindi backers away (YES!) or sparing them (Yeah, right...)
would have been one hell of a way to end the arc. But then again, such
a resolution is beyond Berman and Braga, and the fact that we got what
we did get was pretty much Manny Coto's doing.

....And then there's the theme song. One of the things Berman played
down and ignored was the fact that, when polled, those who said they
turned off "Enterprise" did so upon hearing that queer-assed Rod
Stewart song, even though the opening teaser looked pretty damned
good. Berman - in an obvious fit of egotistical pique - refused to
change the song to something more palatable, even after _TV Guide_
strongly noted that it was the show's #1 weak point. Berman is
reportedly a heavy Rod Stewart fan, and refuses to admit he was wrong
because it would mean his idol is wrong. If Berman wanted a rock song
for the intro, he already *had* one that was perfect - The Crossing's
"Whereever You Will Go" was used for the pilot premier promos, and
according to insider sources was the original choice until Berman
walked into a staff meeting, played an MP3 of Rod Stewart moaning
'Faith of the Heart", and without inviting debate stated "this is our
theme song. Since Rod's a bit expensive, find me someone who sings
like him." The rest is misery.

....Another thing to consider: "Bordellostar Galactica" and "Stargate:
Hoboken" notwithstanding, putting a genre show on a Friday night has
traditionally been the Kiss of Death. Everyone on the planet *knows*
this, and it was stupid to think that "Enterprise" would be able to
take advantage of its last chance and succeed in the current time
slot. It's the same situation as with TOS: if Viacom and/or UPN and/or
especially Les Moonvies had actually any intention of renewing the
show for a fifth season, the show would have been moved to a more
accessable time slot. It's now clear the sole reason "Enterprise" was
given a fourth season was to make it more attractive as a syndication
package. Such a package was confirmed earlier this week, the
coincedence of which was clearly not unintentional.

....In any case, we should be grateful that at least the last six or so
episodes will be of significantly improved quality, as everyone on the
show has stated in the past that if the show gets cancelled, they're
going out on top with a bang. Considering the scripts that have been
announced - a two-part "Mirror Universe" show that will finally show
us an *entire* Tholian, another two-parter explaining why the Klingons
in TOS looked so different, and one other episode dealing with a major
event that leads to the birth of the Federation - "Enterprise" will
leave its imprint on the Trek franchise in a very permanent way.

....Still, truth be told it may be time to let the franchise rest a
bit. Not ten ****ing years as it was between TOS and ST:TMP, mind you,
but a year or two at least. Long enough for people to get hungry for
Star Trek, and especially enough time for Paranoidmount and Viacom to
realize that Berman and Braga have to go - preferably straight to
Hell, natch - and fully replaced by Manny Coto, the Reeves-Stevenses,
and a third creative influence who has a clue or two how to put the
edge back into Star Trek where necessary. (**) As to who that third
influence might be, who can say?

....One other thing to consider: one idea that has been battered around
recently in light of "Bordellostar Galactica" is a reimaging of TOS,
with all the major roles recast with new actors, and old scripts
reworked and reimaged to fit both the times in which they were
originally scripted and the current views of today. Which means we'd
get Kirk scoring at least *twice* an episode, but at least the
Captain's Yeoman wouldn't be shipped off midway through the first
season.

Of course, with our luck, they'll choose "And The Children Shall Lead"
or "Spock's Brain" for the pilot...

(*) Contrary to popular belief, professional wrestling as a viewable
sport ended in the early 80's not because of Andy Kaufman's mind****
gags with Jerry Lawler, but when a bunch of painted poofs consisting
of Mad Adrian Sweet and his "friends" the Sheepherders, were allowed
into the wrestling leagues and associations of the south and southwest
US. Prior to that, the closest thing you had to glam, swish or
anything you'd expect Elton John to wear circa 1974 was Toro Tanaka's
mask, Wah Hoo McDaniel's Chieftan's headdress, and Ivan Putzki's toy
duck. After the Gay Oz Contingent invaded US "rasslin", it was 110%
downhill from there.

(**) I'd take the job, but I work too cheap, and I refuse to join a
scumbag, bottom-feeding, dogsucking union.

OM

--

"No ******* ever won a war by dying for |
http://www.io.com/~o_m

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old February 3rd 05, 03:34 PM
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

...One other thing to consider: one idea that has been battered around
recently in light of "Bordellostar Galactica" is a reimaging of TOS,
with all the major roles recast with new actors, and old scripts
reworked and reimaged to fit both the times in which they were
originally scripted and the current views of today. Which means we'd
get Kirk scoring at least *twice* an episode, but at least the
Captain's Yeoman wouldn't be shipped off midway through the first
season.

This particular Horta has had a long enough (actually too long) life-
it's time to let it die.
Even the original series wasn't as good as Babylon 5, and Voyager and
Enterprise were really, really, weak.
Now The X-Files... now _that_ was a science fiction series!
Some individual episodes of that were better than many entire sci-fi TV
series.
Although I still think they should have pushed "Space- Above And Beyond"
just a little further; it could have been the best parody since "Bill,
The Galactic Hero". I see them now, descending in their Hammerheads
towards the small moon Glitch in the Fubar system...unaware that this is
going to be anything more than another milk run...as the two lead
Hammerheads "Missile Magnet" and "Gold Star For Mommy" (piloted by Col.
Corpse and Lt. Stiff respectively) head towards the hidden Chig base,
they are unaware that a Chig fighter with 23,824 kill markings on its
side (sides, top, and bottom actually...although there is just enough
space left on the lower aft side of the starboard fin to squeeze in two
more if necessary) has just pulled in behind them.... ;-)

Pat
Old February 3rd 05, 04:21 PM
OM

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 08:37:02 -0600, "gb"
wrote:

Unfortunately, it may end just as TOS did -- with no closure.

....And arguably, that's one of the reasons it refused to die. Had
"Turnabout Intruder" (*) been followed by one final episode, fans
would have been left with that sense of closure, and while there would
have been the desire for more adventures, the numbers of fans would
have never reached the critical mass required to create the Trekkie
phenomenon.

(*) AKA "James T. Kirk's Crossgender Fantasy", natch.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old February 3rd 05, 04:30 PM
Andre Lieven

Pat Flannery ) writes:
OM wrote:

...One other thing to consider: one idea that has been battered around
recently in light of "Bordellostar Galactica" is a reimaging of TOS,
with all the major roles recast with new actors, and old scripts
reworked and reimaged to fit both the times in which they were
originally scripted and the current views of today. Which means we'd
get Kirk scoring at least *twice* an episode, but at least the
Captain's Yeoman wouldn't be shipped off midway through the first
season.

This particular Horta has had a long enough (actually too long) life-
it's time to let it die.

Well, counting the movies, we've had 25 years of Trek, 18 of them in
a row, and many of those doubled up. The market for Trek may well be
saturated, and the early 70s effect of " gads, we'll watch anything
calling itself SF, as if there is any such thing on, it's likely
the only such thing on " is well over.

So, in a more crowded market, you have to do more than just show up,
in order to get an audience, never mind the fan audience.

Even the original series wasn't as good as Babylon 5, and Voyager and
Enterprise were really, really, weak.

Well, TOS was pretty good, or it's times. Surely a wider show than
LOst In Space.

But yeah, Voyager coming in after Babylon 5 set the bar at a new
height, well, that made Trek ordinary, which it never really was
before. Not " must see teevee ", just " whats on the Trek channel
tonight. "

Now The X-Files... now _that_ was a science fiction series!

Naw... It had the at least to me, cheapness of doing SF in contemporay
times and places. Thats hard to do, unless you're a free ranging
anthology show, like original TZ or Outer Limits.

But, the 90s proliferation of so called SF shows, all set today,
well, thats just ordinary teevee, too.

SF tends to work best when it's not here and now, with a couple of
exceptions to that rule. Quantum Leap, for instance, was here, but
was not just now...

Some individual episodes of that were better than many entire sci-fi
TV series.

Well, thats true; Loads of awful shows out there...

[...]

Andre

Old February 3rd 05, 04:37 PM
OM

On 3 Feb 2005 16:30:05 GMT, (Andre Lieven)
wrote:

Well, thats true; Loads of awful shows out there...

....The scary thing is, tho, is that if it were reimaged today, using
today's SFX and writing styles, "The Starlost" would probably be one
hell of a hit. Especially if you did location shooting of all things.

OM

--

"No ******* ever won a war by dying for |
http://www.io.com/~o_m