FWIW: ST Enterprise Cancelled

Old February 23rd 05, 06:54 PM
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

...Yeah, well, Spirit, Opportunity and MCO sort of ruled Mars out,
even as a staging base. I'll give them this point, since they're
setting this in the 21st century.

Subterranean (okay, subareanean) civilization, driven underground by the
freezing of the planet; we already know that they like underground
habitats as was shown in "Invaders From Mars".
Great sequel potential, as you've got to go to Mars and wipe them out
before they figure out how to do it again.

Pat
Old February 23rd 05, 06:57 PM
OM

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 09:35:01 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Way I heard it, Pendragon's was intended to be canon at the beginning; I
don't know if it got changed to modern at some point on the way and then
back to period or what... Pendragon's goes back a lot of years, and
always had a very shoestring budget.

....According to several sources, including Garth Franklin over at Dark
Horizons, the way it went appears to have gone like this:

1) Pendragon started on the canon version of WOTW probably as early as
1996, reportedly spurred by the discovery of possible microfossils on
those Mars meteors.

2) Jump forward a few years. Cruise wants to do a WOTW remake.
Spielberg is nowhere in sight at this time. Cruise wants to do the
Wells novel, but set in modern day NYC, with lots of CGI showing the
city getting wasted. Could it be the boy had some alterior motive
here? Meanwhile, Pendragon is still gathering its &&&'s to start
filming.

3) 9/11. By this time, Spielberg is onboard, but all of a sudden
nobody wants to do anything bad to NYC. Talk is now to put the story
back in the Victorian era as the novel, but do a different take on the
invasion, as viewed from the US if the novel hadn't totally taken
place in Englandland.

4) Someone at Cruiseberg discovers the Pendragon efforts. They ask
Pendragon to stop. Pendragon tells them to go **** themselves. Lawyers
converse. Cruiseberg's lawyers come back and say "Uh...we're the best,
but they've got the rights to the original novel locked up, and no
judge on the planet will rule against them. Not without jeopardizing
his career."

5) Cruiseberg steps up production radically. Instead of a late 2006
release, film budget is increased to afford the accellerated schedule.
Release is now slated for mid 2005.

6) Cruiseberg's lawyers discover that while Pendragon has the rights
to the novel, they don't have distribution rights to the US and
certain other parts of the world. Ergo, Pendragon can release their
film, but who in the US is going to get to see it?

7) Several bootleggers announced last month that they've made
arrangements to have Pendragon's film HQ capped and uploaded to the
various file sharing methodologies within a week of the film's premier
in Englandland. All have reportedly vowed to add a special "tag" at
the front urging people to a) buy the DVD import when it comes out,
and b) boycott the Cruiseberg film by not seeing it in the theater and
downloading it for free instead.

8) Regardless of Cruiseberg's efforts, the Pendragon film is still
going to come out first. And while the effects are cheaper by
comparison, it's actually being predicted as being the better film. As
noted here, some of the predictions are from those who are also rather
sick of the Obligatory Spielberg Cute Brat, and that the only way the
Cruiseberg film could excel is if we get to see the Martians - or
Mor-Tex, or Morthrai, or whatever they're called - eat the little
bitch alive.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old February 23rd 05, 07:29 PM
Andrew Gray

On 2005-02-23, OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote:

Oh... and one other subtle change from Well's novel...in Cruise's movie,
the invaders _aren't_ from Mars.

...Yeah, well, Spirit, Opportunity and MCO sort of ruled Mars out,
even as a staging base. I'll give them this point, since they're
setting this in the 21st century.

Is this the right moment to mention the Epilogue of the musical version?

Bermuda: Fantastic. Look at that dune field!
Pasadena: Hey, wait, I- I'm getting a no-go signal. Now I'm losing one
of the craft. Hey Bermuda, you getting it?
Bermuda: Nah, lost contact. There's a lot of dust blowing up there.
Pasadena: Now I lost the second craft. We got problems.

(...)

http://members.aol.com/skyyeyes/jwwow.htm

--
-Andrew Gray