The night was still, the Moon was up ...

Old May 30th 15, 09:32 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2

Default The night was still, the Moon was up ...

.... so it was time to bring out a 5" refractor and shoot the Moon. Here are some results:

http://www.astromart.com/common/imag...7.jpg&caption=

http://www.astromart.com/common/imag...8.jpg&caption=

http://www.astromart.com/common/imag...8.jpg&caption=

http://www.astromart.com/common/imag...0.jpg&caption=

All images shot with AP 130F6.3 GT refractor using a cheap and cheerful QHY5-II video camera, images stacked with Registax, on the night of 5-27-2015.

Views thru the eyepiece on this hazy warm humid night were incredibly detailed and 3-D looking.

Uncalunie
Old May 31st 15, 05:08 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sketcher

Thanks Uncalunie! The 5" refractor and QHY5-II are evidently capable of getting along nicely with one another. It was good to see your sharp images of some of my 'old' lunar acquaintances.

Sketcher,
To sketch is to see.

Old May 31st 15, 05:53 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On Saturday, 30 May 2015 22:32:18 UTC+2, Uncarollo2 wrote:
... so it was time to bring out a 5" refractor and shoot the Moon. Here are some results:

All images shot with AP 130F6.3 GT refractor using a cheap and cheerful QHY5-II video camera, images stacked with Registax, on the night of 5-27-2015.

Views thru the eyepiece on this hazy warm humid night were incredibly detailed and 3-D looking.

Uncalunie

Remarkable images. Well done.

Old May 31st 15, 07:21 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 9:32:18 PM UTC+1, Uncarollo2 wrote:
... so it was time to bring out a 5" refractor and shoot the Moon. Here are some results:

http://www.astromart.com/common/imag...7.jpg&caption=

http://www.astromart.com/common/imag...8.jpg&caption=

http://www.astromart.com/common/imag...8.jpg&caption=

http://www.astromart.com/common/imag...0.jpg&caption=

All images shot with AP 130F6.3 GT refractor using a cheap and cheerful QHY5-II video camera, images stacked with Registax, on the night of 5-27-2015.

Views thru the eyepiece on this hazy warm humid night were incredibly detailed and 3-D looking.

Uncalunie

Beautiful pictures - lousy description .

Try - 'The moon came into view' or some variant on that grown-up theme.

"He [Copernicus] thus speaks of "sunrise" and "sunset," of the "rising and setting" of the stars, of changes in the obliquity of the ecliptic and of variations in the equinoctial points, of the mean motion and variations in motion of the sun, and so on. All these things really relate to the earth, but since we are fixed to the earth and consequently share in its every motion, we cannot discover them in the earth directly, and are obliged to refer them to the heavenly bodies in which they make their appearance to us. Hence we name them as if they took place where they appear to us to take place; and from this
one may see how natural it is to accommodate things to our customary way of seeing them." Galileo

The guys who walked at the moon a number of decades ago didn't look 'down' at the Earth so we don't look 'up' at the moon and although the romantic description is beautiful and always will be, it will be far more beautiful among those who also have a sense of the motions of the Earth,the central Sun and all those things which give us a sense of of motion and place in the solar system.

Old May 31st 15, 08:43 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

http://www.astromart.com/common/image_popup.asp?image=/images/forums/820000-820999/820637.jpg&caption

http://www.astromart.com/common/image_popup.asp?image=/images/forums/820000-820999/820638.jpg&caption

http://www.astromart.com/common/image_popup.asp?image=/images/forums/820000-820999/820618.jpg&caption

http://www.astromart.com/common/image_popup.asp?image=/images/forums/820000-820999/820620.jpg&caption

[...]

Arrant nonsense. The lunar astronauts looked up at the Earth. Just as we
look up at the Moon.

https://m.facebook.com/OfficialAlanB...6461055940282/
Old June 1st 15, 08:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2

On Sunday, May 31, 2015 at 12:07:22 AM UTC-5, Mike Collins wrote:
Uncarollo2 wrote:
... so it was time to bring out a 5" refractor and shoot the Moon. Here are some results:

http://www.astromart.com/common/imag...7.jpg&caption=

http://www.astromart.com/common/imag...8.jpg&caption=

http://www.astromart.com/common/imag...8.jpg&caption=

http://www.astromart.com/common/imag...0.jpg&caption=

All images shot with AP 130F6.3 GT refractor using a cheap and cheerful
QHY5-II video camera, images stacked with Registax, on the night of 5-27-2015.

Views thru the eyepiece on this hazy warm humid night were incredibly
detailed and 3-D looking.

Uncalunie

Beautiful.

Thank you everybody. I figured since this was and astronomy newsgroup, we might want to do a bit of astronomy from time to time.

Uncalunie
Old June 1st 15, 08:45 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

Uncarollo2 wrote:
... so it was time to bring out a 5" refractor and shoot the Moon. Here are some results:

http://www.astromart.com/common/imag...7.jpg&caption=

http://www.astromart.com/common/imag...8.jpg&caption=

http://www.astromart.com/common/imag...8.jpg&caption=

http://www.astromart.com/common/imag...0.jpg&caption=

All images shot with AP 130F6.3 GT refractor using a cheap and cheerful
QHY5-II video camera, images stacked with Registax, on the night of 5-27-2015.

Views thru the eyepiece on this hazy warm humid night were incredibly
detailed and 3-D looking.

Uncalunie

Beautiful.

Thank you everybody. I figured since this was and astronomy newsgroup, we might want to do a bit of astronomy from time to time.

Uncalunie

Try real astronomy when you are up for it -

http://archive.org/stream/siderealme...ge/10/mode/2up

Great having magnification power but you come from a community that thinks the moons spins as it orbits the Earth in direct conflict with the achievements of those men who first developed telescopes and the great astronomers who could put the appearance and traits of the moon in context.

You are practicing photography and nothing else as it sure isn't astronomy.