First visit to KFC; what to see???

Old September 25th 05, 05:25 AM
LittleGreyPoodle

Default First visit to KFC; what to see???

A business trip takes me tomorrow to south Florida for two weeks. I have
a weekend available in-between. I'm a space buff, so I thought a day
trip from Fort Lauderdale would be a drive north to Cape Canaveral.

Any suggestions on what should be the first priority for such a trip?

Thanks in advance.

LittleGreyPoodle
Old September 25th 05, 05:55 AM
Damon Hill

LittleGreyPoodle wrote in news:jFpZe.267271
$E95.106206@fed1read01:

A business trip takes me tomorrow to south Florida for two weeks. I have
a weekend available in-between. I'm a space buff, so I thought a day
trip from Fort Lauderdale would be a drive north to Cape Canaveral.

Any suggestions on what should be the first priority for such a trip?

If, as you say, you are only just now visiting a KFC, I
do suggest the bathroom to wash your hands before and after
eating. That chicken is greasy and so are some of the
restaurants!

Oh, you meant KSC. Well, the visitors center of course,
and take the bus tour. Been a while since I was last there,
but there was a tour of the facility where the ISS modules
were being prepped for flight, including a walk-through
life-sized mockup.

There's a very nice unspoiled beach at Playalinda, straight
east out of Titusville, and a wildlife refuge there as
well. At time time the road went surprisingly close by
one of the Shuttle launch pads, but it's been shifted
north. There are NO facilities out there other than
porta-johns, so you'll need to pack a full lunch and
plenty of ice.

Dixie Crossroads restaurant in Titusville is a must for
me, for the rock shrimp platter. Much better than KFC
any time!

--Damon
Old September 25th 05, 08:25 AM
OM

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 23:55:40 -0500, Damon Hill
wrote:

If, as you say, you are only just now visiting a KFC, I
do suggest the bathroom to wash your hands before and after
eating. That chicken is greasy and so are some of the
restaurants!

....Also, I recommend the Extra Crispy over the Colonel's original
recipe. I for one have never liked fried chicken that didn't have a
crunch to it. At the same time, however, one thing I have always
failed to understand is why they choose to make only a beef stock
gravy available for their reconstituted smashed potatoes, I've always
preferred a cream gravy, and anyone who's grown up in the restaurant
business knows cream gravy is cheaper to make.

....I still recall hearing the Colonel speak here in Austin some 30
years ago, when the Extra Crispy was introduced. He referred to it as
someone having stuck a "damned dough ball" on his chicken, and even
claimed they left out a herb or two from his recipe. But he was always
honest about how he felt the KFC corporation had treated his business
after he sold out in the late 60's, and the fears of such were why he
made damn sure in his contract that they couldn't censor anything he
had to say while continuing to be their spokesman. Such candor had
it's plusses and minuses, tho. On the plus side, it led to
improvements in the biscuits which had tasted akin to wallpaper paste
for most of the 80's. On the minus side, his abrasiveness caused
certain marketing goons in the corporation to ignore an idea he had
for using boneless chicken chunks as a "popcorn chicken" idea five
years before McWormburger introduced their "Soylent McNuggets".

Despite the fact I despise food service almost as much as I despise
the NASA PAO, I still have fond memories of the Colonel, as I do Dave
Thomas and Ray Croc...

OM

--

"Try Andre Dead Duck Canadian Champagne! | http://www.io.com/~o_m
Rated the lamest of the cheapest deported | Sergeant-At-Arms
Old September 25th 05, 02:02 PM
LooseChanj

On or about Sat, 24 Sep 2005 21:25:44 -0700, LittleGreyPoodle made the sensational claim that:
Any suggestions on what should be the first priority for such a trip?

I always get a breast meal with a leg when I go to the KFC here. The closest
one to me is in Cocoa Beach. I love all the fast food places in Cocoa Beach,
they're all slackers.
--
This is a siggy | To E-mail, do note | Just because something
It's properly formatted | who you mean to reply-to | is possible, doesn't

Old September 25th 05, 04:23 PM
David Higgins

OM wrote:
I still have fond memories of the Colonel, as I do Dave
Thomas and Ray Croc...

"Or my name is not Kroc, that's Kroc with a K"

(Listen to "Boom, Like That")
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4765621
Old September 25th 05, 07:33 PM
Andrew Gray

On 2005-09-25, David Higgins wrote:
OM wrote:
I still have fond memories of the Colonel, as I do Dave
Thomas and Ray Croc...

"Or my name is not Kroc, that's Kroc with a K"

About halfway through that song, first time I heard it, I realised what
it was talking about and started laughing...

--
-Andrew Gray

Old September 25th 05, 09:08 PM
Stan Marsh

Aside from the KSC Visitors Center, the Astronaut Hall of Fame is very
interesting. There used to be a MOST excellent "historical" tour of the
older facilities (for Explorer, Mercury etc.) but am not sure if it still
originates from KSC. You might check with: http://www.afspacemuseum.org/ ;
I enjoyed touring the old pads and blockhouses most of all. Have fun. God
help you if you misspell anything, huh?

Old September 26th 05, 12:11 AM
Pat Flannery

Damon Hill wrote:

If, as you say, you are only just now visiting a KFC, I
do suggest the bathroom to wash your hands before and after
eating. That chicken is greasy and so are some of the
restaurants!

They should have a restaurant down there where you can eat space food,
kids might get a real kick out of that.
When I was a kid, I wanted dinner to consist of a plate with some
squeeze tubes on it. I thought vitamin pills were neat, and wondered if
you could live off of them alone.

Oh, you meant KSC. Well, the visitors center of course,
and take the bus tour. Been a while since I was last there,
but there was a tour of the facility where the ISS modules
were being prepped for flight, including a walk-through
life-sized mockup.

There's a very nice unspoiled beach at Playalinda, straight
east out of Titusville, and a wildlife refuge there as
well. At time time the road went surprisingly close by
one of the Shuttle launch pads, but it's been shifted
north. There are NO facilities out there other than
porta-johns, so you'll need to pack a full lunch and
plenty of ice.

A snakebite kit might be a good idea also- not that that well be of much
use after the Coral Snake gets you, but it will give you something to
play with while you're dying.
To get you in the proper mood for your visit to the beach, here is
webpage devoted to Florida's venomous snakes:
http://www.floridaconservation.org/v...s/snakesv.html
Keep an eye peeled for Loggerhead Sea Turtles- although there have never
been reports of these aquatic horrors coming up on shore and eating
beachcombers, that could just mean that no one has ever survived the
attack, and all of their victims have been dragged to a watery grave in
a matter of seconds.
Also, remember that most Florida species of butterflies posses venomous
stingers and biting mouthparts, so you will want to pack a can of
butterfly repellent.
Make sure to stop at Ernie's Alligator Petting Zoo in Titusville,
located conveniently close to the Titusville Trauma Center.

Dixie Crossroads restaurant in Titusville is a must for
me, for the rock shrimp platter. Much better than KFC
any time!

The platter is made out of granite and weighs fourteen pounds BTW. ;-)

Pat
Old September 26th 05, 12:24 AM
Damon Hill

Pat Flannery wrote in
:

Damon Hill wrote:

Dixie Crossroads restaurant in Titusville is a must for
me, for the rock shrimp platter. Much better than KFC
any time!

The platter is made out of granite and weighs fourteen pounds BTW. ;-)

Everything Pat says should be taken with at least
a shaker of salt, if not the whole box!

--Damon
Old September 26th 05, 01:11 AM
Pat Flannery

LooseChanj wrote:

I always get a breast meal with a leg when I go to the KFC here. The closest
one to me is in Cocoa Beach. I love all the fast food places in Cocoa Beach,
they're all slackers.

I knew a tall blonde girl named Barbi who worked in a fried chicken
place in our town.
I went in and asked for the Barbi Box meal...her co-worker asked what
was in a Barbi Box.
I replied it was two breasts, two thighs, two legs, a couple of buns and
all the honey you could want.
I didn't realize that her mother was standing behind me when I said
this... :-[

Pat