WTH? Aurora in MD?

Old November 9th 04, 02:17 AM
Ranger J. Firespear

Default WTH? Aurora in MD?

Hey everyone!

My name is John and I am not very active in the Astronomy Science.
First time visiting this group. My question is... I am living in
rural MD right now and last night I was looking out my window (to the
north) and saw a very green streak in the sky. I went outside and
looked further and wondered if this could be the Aurora Borealis.
Then I saw Red with streaks and vertical lines going directly up to
the center of the sky. Was this the Aurora? I have been wanting to
see it for many years. It was a beautiful experience and I think I
may be hooked.

Well the rest is just more deep information about me so you can cut
off your reading now. Actually I did visit a observatory on many
occasions over a 3 month span when I was in Cape Canaveral FL taking
engineering classes over the summer. It was at BCC and they had a
nice little observatory with a laser show with popular music artists.
A small little club with about 8 people got to use the telescope
whenever they wanted too and I use to visit them on the weekends alot.

Oh well... Any information on the Aurora (or links) in MD would be
greatly appreciated.

Thx,
John
Old November 9th 04, 04:20 AM
Twittering One

[firespear]
Hey

[Hey!]

_______
HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo"http://journal
s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo/A

Old November 9th 04, 04:21 AM
Twittering One

[firespear]

[...]

I would love
To help. But alas, I'm sitting in traffic
& it's way too slow.

_______

Old November 9th 04, 07:30 AM
Wally Anglesea™

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 21:17:31 -0500, Ranger J. Firespear
wrote:

[...]

Entirely possible you saw an aurora show.

The sun's been really active, and there was a CME (Coronal Mass
Ejection) a couple of days ago.
Go here for current Solar Activity:

http://www.spaceweather.com/

--

Find out about Australia's most dangerous Doomsday Cult:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese/pebble.htm

"You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down."
Old November 9th 04, 07:41 AM
Twittering One

[wanglese]
Entirely possible you saw an aurora show.

The sun's been really active, and there was a CME (Coronal Mass
Ejection) a couple of days ago.
Go here for current Solar Activity:

A fraction, or a full?
Or just an erection ejaculating?
Confess ~
Got rhythm? Got Corona Light?
I'll get go get chips ~
Right back.

_______

Old November 9th 04, 03:38 PM
beavith

wrote:

[...]

i'm surprised that there isn't more comments on it. it was the nicest
auroral show that i've seen in probably a decade. i watched it from
south of cape cod where the air was very clear, but once we got to the
coast the clouds rolled in.
sheets, streamer and streaks, mainly green, some red and a little
blue. i wish i had a camera. there was a particularly dense cloud
that transitioned from green to red right over the pleades.

Old November 10th 04, 05:14 AM
Ranger J. Firespear

wrote:

[...]

I shot some pics with my camera. But I have a sony DSC-T1 with a
little little lens so I don't think anything will come out. I will
see when I process them sometime.

John
Old November 10th 04, 06:02 AM
Twittering One

A small little club with about 8 people got to use the telescope
whenever they wanted too and I use to visit them on the weekends alot.

Tres kewl!
What night club,
Where do you hang
With your personal best