OT - Report From The Convention

Old September 7th 04, 02:00 AM
http://149.137.107.8/home/homeJ.html user id: Gue

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message ...
"Bruce Palmer" wrote in message
et...
If you look at a picture of Madison Square Garden you'll see 2 parts:
the round arena part and a 30-story office building part. One of my
clients is in the office building part also known as 2 Penn Plaza.

I spoke with someone there earlier today where they're running a
skeleton shift this week and allowing any employee who can work from
home to do so. Among other things they run a fairly sizable IBM
mainframe system. They have a contract with Iron Mountain services
which is a company that maintains offsite storage of backup tapes.
These backup tapes are rotated in weekly and monthly cycles.

Monday is the day Iron Mountain makes its pickups and today their
plain-white panel van snaked through Manhattan traffic towards the
fortress that is Madison Square Garden and 2 Penn Plaza. Hilarity
ensued when the driver was stopped by the police and secret service
several blocks short of his destination. Much fun was had by all.
Especially the driver, Abdullah.

He got the tapes but only after parking half a mile away and carting the
tapes away from the building on a dolly. I can just hear him at work
this morning... "You want me to drive this plain-white van _where_?"

Poor bugger. I wonder, would the same thing happen to a "Joe" or "Pete"
(white, Anglo-Saxon) etc?

http://149.137.107.8/home/homeJ.html user id: Guest password: Guest