SpaceX CRS5 Update

Old January 9th 15, 07:29 PM posted to sci.space.station
David Spain[_4_]

Default SpaceX CRS5 Update

On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 6:50:31 PM UTC-5, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
In sci.space.station message
raweb.com, Wed, 7 Jan 2015 17:39:51, JF Mezei jfmezei.spamnot@vaxinati
on.ca posted:

New launch date:

@SpaceX selects Sat., Jan 10 at 4:47a ET to launch #ISScargo mission to
the @Space_Station

[remainder edited away - dls]
--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. E-mail, see Home Page. Turnpike v6.05.
Website http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - w. FAQish topics, links, acronyms

Putting further discussion of this mission in a new thread w/o a date so that it can always remain current.

Dave
Old January 10th 15, 01:09 PM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff[_2_]

In a case like this, a bottom posted comment seems rather silly.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"David Spain" wrote in message
On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 6:50:31 PM UTC-5, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
In sci.space.station message
raweb.com, Wed, 7 Jan 2015 17:39:51, JF Mezei jfmezei.spamnot@vaxinati
on.ca posted:

New launch date:

@SpaceX selects Sat., Jan 10 at 4:47a ET to launch #ISScargo mission to
the @Space_Station

[remainder edited away - dls]
--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. E-mail, see Home Page. Turnpike
v6.05.
Website http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - w. FAQish topics, links,
acronyms
PAS EXE etc. : http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/programs/ - see in
00index.htm
Dates - miscdate.htm estrdate.htm js-dates.htm pas-time.htm critdate.htm
etc.

Old January 10th 15, 07:15 PM posted to sci.space.station
snidely

On Friday or thereabouts, David Spain asked ...
On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 6:50:31 PM UTC-5, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
In sci.space.station message
raweb.com, Wed, 7 Jan 2015 17:39:51, JF Mezei jfmezei.spamnot@vaxinati
on.ca posted:

New launch date:

@SpaceX selects Sat., Jan 10 at 4:47a ET to launch #ISScargo mission to
the @Space_Station

[remainder edited away - dls]
--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. E-mail, see Home Page. Turnpike
v6.05. Website http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - w. FAQish topics, links,
acronyms PAS EXE etc. : http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/programs/ - see in
00index.htm Dates - miscdate.htm estrdate.htm js-dates.htm pas-time.htm
critdate.htm etc.

Putting further discussion of this mission in a new thread w/o a date so that
it can always remain current.

Launch on time and successful, capsule in orbit.

First stage: return "Rocket made it to drone spaceport ship, but landed
hard. Close, but no cigar this time. Bodes well for the future though."

URL:http://www.spacex.com/webcast/

/dps

--
"This is all very fine, but let us not be carried away be excitement,
but ask calmly, how does this person feel about in in his cooler
Old January 17th 15, 08:34 AM posted to sci.space.station
snidely

Snidely is guilty of mn.52677df1c05228b4.127094@snitoo as of
1/10/2015 10:15:10 AM
On Friday or thereabouts, David Spain asked ...
On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 6:50:31 PM UTC-5, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
In sci.space.station message
raweb.com, Wed, 7 Jan 2015 17:39:51, JF Mezei jfmezei.spamnot@vaxinati
on.ca posted:

New launch date:

@SpaceX selects Sat., Jan 10 at 4:47a ET to launch #ISScargo mission to
the @Space_Station

[remainder edited away - dls]
-- (c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. E-mail, see Home Page. Turnpike
v6.05. Website http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - w. FAQish topics,
links, acronyms PAS EXE etc. : http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/programs/
- see in 00index.htm Dates - miscdate.htm estrdate.htm js-dates.htm
pas-time.htm critdate.htm etc.

Putting further discussion of this mission in a new thread w/o a date so
that it can always remain current.

Launch on time and successful, capsule in orbit.

First stage: return "Rocket made it to drone spaceport ship, but landed hard.
Close, but no cigar this time. Bodes well for the future though."

URL:http://www.spacex.com/webcast/

I rather like this part of the launch video, with the globules in the
tank:
URL:http://youtu.be/BCoDwGTpYQs?t=11m45s

Looks like the main mission control room in Hawthorne is staffed by
about 24 people for launch; . What sort of setup do they have in the
bunker at KSC?

/dps

--
The presence of this syntax results from the fact that SQLite is really
a Tcl extension that has escaped into the wild.
Old January 20th 15, 10:32 PM posted to sci.space.station
David Spain[_4_]

On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 2:10:24 AM UTC-5, snidely wrote:
Just this Saturday, Jeff Findley puzzled about:
In article mn.85867df1b96dc1a4.127094@snitoo, snidely
says...

Looks like the main mission control room in Hawthorne is staffed by
about 24 people for launch; . What sort of setup do they have in the
bunker at KSC?

You mean NASA at KSC?

No, I mean
what sort of team does SpaceX have at Johnson?"

Erm. I'm confused. Are you talking ground support at SLC-40 at Canaveral?

There's at least the guy that drives the erector out to the pad, the
guy that hooks up the fuel hoses, and the people strapping the capsule
to the 2nd stage. Are there 4-5 people in the block house monitoring
test equipment and communicating back to Hawthorne?

One would think. The erector / strong-back with unfueled F9 is moved via rail trucks from its assembly shed to the pad along a straight rail path. I'm assuming it's standard gauge.

Not sure, since they have not launched a shuttle
from KSC in quite some time. From what I understand, for shuttle,
launch was handled by KSC, but control was turned over to JSC for
control of the actual mission.

I'm sure all of the gory details are on "the net". It's worth a Google.
Go ahead, you can do it...

I'm not interested in Googling shuttle launches; my curiosity is about
SpaceX.

Different folks, different processes. AFAIK KSC nor any of its Merritt Island facilities is involved in this at all.

That *will* change with F9H.

Also I'm sure for rendezvous operations with ISS there is a SpaceX rep or two present at JSC and possibly at (Star City?) Moscow at ISS mission control....

But for F9 from SLC-40 the launch support I presume is whatever was used for the older Titan-III missions launched from there. I don't believe that involved the LC-39A/B infrastructure. I could be wrong (but I don't think so ;-)...

Dave
Old January 20th 15, 10:55 PM posted to sci.space.station
David Spain[_4_]

Here I'll let Scott Henderson and Neil Hanks explain it better than I can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHVIduoyZX8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FlhbMraqxA

Dave
Old January 21st 15, 10:54 AM posted to sci.space.station
snidely

David Spain is guilty of
as of 1/20/2015
1:55:55 PM
Here I'll let Scott Henderson and Neil Hanks explain it better than I can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHVIduoyZX8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FlhbMraqxA

Thank you, especially the 2nd link

Relevant to my question:
URL:http://youtu.be/_FlhbMraqxA?t=49m20s

/dps

--
I have always been glad we weren't killed that night. I do not know
any particular reason, but I have always been glad.
Old January 21st 15, 10:58 AM posted to sci.space.station
snidely

Snidely explained on 1/21/2015 :
David Spain is guilty of
as of 1/20/2015
1:55:55 PM
Here I'll let Scott Henderson and Neil Hanks explain it better than I can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHVIduoyZX8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FlhbMraqxA

Thank you, especially the 2nd link

Relevant to my question:
URL:http://youtu.be/_FlhbMraqxA?t=49m20s

But not occupied by the launch crew at that point, nor any intro to
what happens there. Also, that is a relatively short portion of the
video, but I estimate between 15 and 30 crew. And a lot fewer other
employees crowding the glass wall ;-)

/dps

--
I have always been glad we weren't killed that night. I do not know
any particular reason, but I have always been glad.
_Roughing It_, Mark Twain

Expedition 26 / SpaceX Falcon 9 - COTS 1 Update John[_30_] Space Shuttle 0 December 9th 10 08:08 PM
SpaceX Launch Update Ed Kyle Policy 15 March 22nd 06 07:23 PM
SpaceX Launch Update Space Cadet Policy 8 December 11th 05 05:01 PM
SpaceX Update - Secret Stuff Tom Kent Policy 2 June 9th 05 10:51 PM
SpaceX update or Saturn V take 2 Douglas Holmes Policy 33 February 15th 05 09:36 AM