Fred Haise illness?

Old January 29th 15, 03:19 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
[email protected]

Default Fred Haise illness?

On Wednesday, August 16, 1995 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Bryan Hayward wrote:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but what was
Fred Haise's illness on Apollo 13? In the film, "Jim Lovell"
made a joke about it being syphilis. What is the true story?

I worked with Fred Haise back at Grumman after he left NASA. He hosted the premier of the movie for a selected few of his co-workers. I was lucky enough to go. After the showing Fred turned to a bunch of us in the lobby and said, "That was Lovell's story...I wasn't that sick."
Old February 4th 15, 07:42 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
David Spain[_4_]

On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 9:19:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, August 16, 1995 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Bryan Hayward wrote:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but what was
Fred Haise's illness on Apollo 13? In the film, "Jim Lovell"
made a joke about it being syphilis. What is the true story?

I worked with Fred Haise back at Grumman after he left NASA. He hosted the premier of the movie for a selected few of his co-workers. I was lucky enough to go. After the showing Fred turned to a bunch of us in the lobby and said, "That was Lovell's story...I wasn't that sick."

I had read somewhere that it was a urinary track infection. Now I can sympathize with Fred Haise, cause I got one of those when a kidney stone got stuck. You basically run a low grade temperature, which is a nuisance on top of great pain. The infection tho was the least of my problems, somewhat the same as Fred... ;-)

Dave

Old February 4th 15, 07:50 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
David Spain[_4_]

On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 1:42:17 PM UTC-5, David Spain wrote:
On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 9:19:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I worked with Fred Haise back at Grumman after he left NASA. He hosted the premier of the movie for a selected few of his co-workers. I was lucky enough to go. After the showing Fred turned to a bunch of us in the lobby and said, "That was Lovell's story...I wasn't that sick."

Maybe I just have a "contrarian" brain, but the thought that would have occurred to me in the Apollo 13 situation, like a scuba diver that explores underwater caves and finds himself stuck, that one single annoying thought, "Why, oh why did I work SO hard to get myself into this spot?"

Dave
Old February 5th 15, 02:37 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

wrote:
[...]

I've read elsewhere also that it was a UTI due to holding in the pee (since
they weren't allowed to do dumps for a bit. And then Houston forgot to tell
them they could start to dumps again.)

Old June 18th 15, 03:54 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
[email protected]

I don't get it. Everybody knows he had got the clap from some bar ho Haise did a night or two before lift off. Since he was a married man, it's easy to understand why they don't harp on that fact. After all this time though, why can't we just be honest about it?