Azimuth

Old July 31st 03, 08:48 PM
Brian Tilley

Default Azimuth

Hi,

Hope this isn't a dumb question, but does azimuth correlate with
either Magnetic North or True North? That is, is azimuth, in degrees,
the same as the number of degrees from either magnetic or true north?

If I know the current azimuth for an object in the sky, can I use a
compass to find it?

I realize I would also need to know the altitude to determine it's
location above the horizon.

Thanks
Old August 1st 03, 02:43 AM
Tony Vinci

..
Azimuth is the angle (to the East of North) of an object.
Yes 270 deg. means due West and 0 (or 360 deg.) would mean due
North. If you were facing North and wanted to look at something
that had an azimuth of 350 deg. you would either spin almost
entirely around to your right or more likely simply look 10 deg.
to your left. Again azimuth always refers to an angle to the
East (clockwise) of North. It usually doesn't have to be stated
as xx deg. E of N. It is assumed to be E of N so it is usually
simply stated as an azimuth of 115 deg. or whatever.
Hope that helps.
Tony