Space Tourist Spacesuits

Old February 16th 05, 10:00 AM

Default Space Tourist Spacesuits

So will they be one offs yours to keep after your vacation or the
expensive EMUs and Orlans of space agencies?

For sure they will be less complicated and hopefully tamper proof.

--Chris Vancil

Old February 16th 05, 01:58 PM
Mike Rhino

wrote in message
oups.com...
So will they be one offs yours to keep after your vacation or the
expensive EMUs and Orlans of space agencies?

For sure they will be less complicated and hopefully tamper proof.

--Chris Vancil

Tourists don't need to do work in space, so the suits may have no fingers.

Old February 16th 05, 06:59 PM
Earl Colby Pottinger

"Mike Rhino" :

wrote in message
oups.com...
So will they be one offs yours to keep after your vacation or the
expensive EMUs and Orlans of space agencies?

For sure they will be less complicated and hopefully tamper proof.

--Chris Vancil

Tourists don't need to do work in space, so the suits may have no fingers.

Or if they insist in being able to pickup and move things have a simple set
of waldos or claws that are electrical controlled by the tourist hands
slipping into control gloves built in the suit. They would not have the fine
control but do they need it? Even a simple eletromagnet at the end of each
arm. The tourist can use it to drag themselves along a metal frame or pick
(up/down/?) a metal object and let it go but not much else.

Earl Colby Pottinger

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to
Old February 16th 05, 10:36 PM

I don't think space tourists should be allowed to spacewalk anyway.
On a tourist ship, the opening of the external hatch should ONLY be
done as an emergency measure or else when docking with an orbital hotel
or a Lunar cycler.
It's not DisneyLand, it's outer space.
If space-walking is allowed, the suit will have to be economical
and simple and cleaned and re-used after each tourist.

Old February 17th 05, 12:00 AM
Rodney Kelp

"Mike Rhino" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
So will they be one offs yours to keep after your vacation or the
expensive EMUs and Orlans of space agencies?

For sure they will be less complicated and hopefully tamper proof.

--Chris Vancil

Tourists don't need to do work in space, so the suits may have no fingers.

So what happens if there is a habitat breach and you have to keep your space
suit on for a week. How do you **** and crap not to mention eat. Are there
tubes for all these things? I know some of them have a water tube for
drinking. I don't know about the rest.
Somebody doesn't need to tell me oxygen won't last a week or more. I know
they will have to replenish each other from a bulk supply.

Old February 17th 05, 03:22 AM
Mike Rhino

"Rodney Kelp" wrote in message

"Mike Rhino" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
So will they be one offs yours to keep after your vacation or the
expensive EMUs and Orlans of space agencies?

For sure they will be less complicated and hopefully tamper proof.

--Chris Vancil

Tourists don't need to do work in space, so the suits may have no

fingers.

So what happens if there is a habitat breach and you have to keep your

space
suit on for a week. How do you **** and crap not to mention eat. Are

there
tubes for all these things? I know some of them have a water tube for
drinking. I don't know about the rest.
Somebody doesn't need to tell me oxygen won't last a week or more. I know
they will have to replenish each other from a bulk supply.

In thinking about it later, it occurred to me that there are two types of
space suits -- flight suits and space walk suits. Given that tourists will
be flying home with their flight suits, they could keep them if they wanted.
For space walk suits, not only are they expensive to make but it is also
expensive to ship them to space. I think that they'll be re-used. Space
suits without gloves may last longer than standard space suits.

If a tourist is hooked to 3 tethers coming from different directions, the
flight crew can control his position. You might have two long metal arms
with tethers coming off of them and a third tether coming from the air-lock.
Tourists could go out one at a time.

Old February 18th 05, 12:51 AM
Joann Evans

Rodney Kelp wrote:

"Mike Rhino" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
So will they be one offs yours to keep after your vacation or the
expensive EMUs and Orlans of space agencies?

For sure they will be less complicated and hopefully tamper proof.

--Chris Vancil

Tourists don't need to do work in space, so the suits may have no fingers.

So what happens if there is a habitat breach and you have to keep your space
suit on for a week. How do you **** and crap not to mention eat. Are there
tubes for all these things? I know some of them have a water tube for
drinking. I don't know about the rest.
Somebody doesn't need to tell me oxygen won't last a week or more. I know
they will have to replenish each other from a bulk supply.

If we have enough commercial spacecraft commonly operating to make
this possible to begin with, then it's unlikely that one would have to
wait as much as a week for rescue. Even without a dedicated equivalent
of a Coast Guard S&R service, someone(s) will always happen to be
preparing for launch, and be able to meet the launch window constraints.

And a well-designed habitat, like a well designed ship, will be able
to close off sections, and keep them habitable, if one of them
experiences a major pressurization failure. (This has already been
demonstrated on Mir, after all.) Rescue may well come from still
functioning portions of this habitat, before it comes from the ground or
other locations in space.

And there's the matter of evacuation 'lifeboats' as covered in other
threads...

--

You know what to remove, to reply....