Help with these eyepieces pleeeeeese?

Old November 29th 03, 12:05 PM
Timothy O'Connor

Default Help with these eyepieces pleeeeeese?

I was hoping that a few of you talented fellows (nice pitch huh!) might be
able to help me indentify and possibly rate some
eyepieces I have:

http://www.pbase.com/timothyo/stuff

The two Celestron ones came as a freebie with my secondhand C8, but the 7.5
mm plossl was purchased from ebay - The seller had no idea who made it. It
seems rather good - The build quality is not el-cheapo anyway.

I ask for help, because I dont have a lot of experience in this area - Is it
worth spending some money to replace them, or will they do the job?

Old November 29th 03, 02:33 PM
Engineer Scott

That 7mm Ortho looks very similar to a Celestron 6mm Ortho I have. It
compares very favorably to the University Optics Orthos available
today. It's maybe not quite as nice, but very good by any measure. It
should make a great eyepiece for viewing the planets. It should be
very sharp with good contrast with a slightly smaller field of view
than a Plössl. Look on the chrome barrel. You should see a Japan with
a circle 'T' or circle 'V'. The circle 'V' indicates it's made by
Vixen. I'm not sure who makes the circle 'T' but they are of very high
quality and you'll find it stamped on some of the better eyepieces
from Japan.

It's a keeper.

scotty