Any LCROSS viewing parties in Seattle area?

Old October 5th 09, 11:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
mx

Default Any LCROSS viewing parties in Seattle area?

To be honest, since my largest scope is 6" aperature and NASA says use
10" or larger to view the event, I'm hoping to get a quick peek at the
plume through someone else's scope. (Telescope vendors should have
publicized this a couple of months in advance: The "need" to buy a
12.5" dob might have seemed more immediate!) Surprisingly, it looks
like there is a decent chance of clear skies in Western Washington.
Anyone planning to get up early (or stay up really late) for the
crash?

If you want to reply in a non-public way, my preferred email is
whiskey alpha golf echo novermber AT uw.edu

Topic drift: Is this going to require really dark skies, or is mag
4.5 good enough
Old October 6th 09, 12:23 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Marty[_3_]

On Oct 5, 5:15*pm, mx wrote:
To be honest, since my largest scope is 6" aperature and NASA says use
10" or larger to view the event, I'm hoping to get a quick peek at the
plume through someone else's scope. *(Telescope vendors should have
publicized this a couple of months in advance: *The "need" to buy a
12.5" dob might have seemed more immediate!) *Surprisingly, it looks
like there is a decent chance of clear skies in Western Washington.
Anyone planning to get up early (or stay up really late) for the
crash?

If you want to reply in a non-public way, my preferred email is
whiskey alpha golf echo novermber AT uw.edu

Topic drift: *Is this going to require really dark skies, or is mag
4.5 good enough

I'm debating whether it's worth getting up early to TRY and catch a
peek with an 8 inch SCT. Probably a waste of time, but if I don't
look, and it turns out to be brighter than expected...
Marty
Old October 6th 09, 04:47 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sketcher

mx wrote:
To be honest, since my largest scope is 6" aperature and NASA says use
10" or larger to view the event, I'm hoping to get a quick peek at the
plume through someone else's scope.

I wouldn't rule out a 6-inch scope on this. If the 6-incher ends up
being the largest/best telescope you're able get your hands on I'd say
definitely give it a try. Prior to the event, I seem to recall there
being doubt that amateurs would see anything relating to the Shoemaker-
Levy9 impacts on Jupiter. As it turned out, pretty much any amateur
telescope proved sufficient to show at least some of the impact
scars. There are a lot of unknowns for the LCROSS event. One should
also keep in mind that it could take a little time (after impact) for
the plume to extend high enough to see. In other words, don't give up
too early!

Topic drift: *Is this going to require really dark skies, or is mag
4.5 good enough

Considering the proximity of a bright moon, I wouldn't expect one's
naked-eye limiting magnitude to be a factor.

My own weather isn't looking very promising. It snowed most of
today. More snow seems likely near zero hour. Nevertheless, I'll
check on conditions much closer to the 11:30 UT impact time -- just in
case.

Sketcher,
To sketch is to see.
Old October 6th 09, 03:29 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ken S. Tucker

On Oct 5, 8:47 pm, Sketcher wrote:
mx wrote:
[...]

Have a look at,
http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/mainmenu/sitemap_e.html

then go down and see,

# Astronomy Sky Condition Forecasts
* Cloud forecast
* Seeing forecast
* Sky transparency forecast
* Weather forecast near the ground

It may help us.
Ken

Old October 6th 09, 03:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin R. Howell[_8_]

mx wrote:
[...]

Or better yet, go to the Clear Sky Chart site:
http://cleardarksky.com/csk/

--
Martin R. Howell
The Astro Post