The TRUTH about McCain's "$3 million overhead projector " bull****-- not an "overhead projector;" not funded; Planetarium not part of Univ ofChicago, it's a public museum

Old October 9th 08, 12:06 AM posted to alt.politics,sci.astro.amateur,alt.war.vietnam,alt.military.retired
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names[_1_]

Default The TRUTH about McCain's "$3 million overhead projector " bull****-- not an "overhead projector;" not funded; Planetarium not part of Univ ofChicago, it's a public museum

If McCain will be this dense as to repeat what an aide fed him without
some kind of fact checking, just exactly what will he do in the Oval
Office???

Statement from the Adler Planetarium about John McCain's bull****:

http://www.adlerplanetarium.org/pres...boutdebate.pdf

STATEMENT ABOUT SENATOR JOHN McCAIN’S
COMMENTS AT THE PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE

Last night, during the presidential debate in Nashville, Tennessee,
Senator John McCain
made the following statement:

McCain: “While we were working to eliminate these pork barrel earmarks
he (Senator
Obama) voted for nearly $1 billion in pork barrel earmark projects.
Including $3 million for
an overhead projector at a planetarium in Chicago, Illinois. My
friends, do we need to spend
that kind of money?”

To clarify, the Adler Planetarium requested federal support – which
was not funded – to
replace the projector in its historic Sky Theater, the first
planetarium theater in the
Western Hemisphere. The Adler’s Zeiss Mark VI projector – not an
overhead projector – is
the instrument that re-creates the night sky in a dome theater, the
quintessential
planetarium experience. The Adler’s projector is nearly 40 years old
and is no longer
supported with parts or service by the manufacturer. It is only the
second planetarium
projector in the Adler’s 78 years of operation.

Science literacy is an urgent issue in the United States. To remain
competitive and ensure
national security, it is vital that we educate and inspire the next
generation of explorers to
pursue careers in science, technology, engineering and math.

Senator McCain’s statements about the Adler Planetarium’s request for
federal support do
not accurately reflect the museum's legislative history or
relationship with Senator Obama.
The Adler has approached the Illinois Congressional delegation the
last few years for federal
assistance with various initiatives. These have included museum
exhibitions, equipment and
educational programs we offer to area schools, including the Chicago
Public Schools.

We have made requests to Senators Durbin and Obama, as well as to 6
area Congressmen
from both political parties. We are grateful that all of the Members
we have approached,
including Senator Obama, have deemed our activities worthy of their
support, and have
made appropriations requests on our behalf, as they have for many
worthy Illinois nonprofit
organizations.

As a result of the hard work of our bipartisan congressional
delegation, the Adler has been
fortunate to receive a few federal appropriations the past couple of
years.

However, the Adler has never received an earmark as a result of
Senator Obama's efforts.

This is clearly evidenced by recent transparency laws implemented by
the Congress, which
have resulted in the names of all requesting Members being listed next
to every earmark in
the reports that accompany appropriations bills.

October 8, 2008

End of Adler Planetarium statement.

The Adler IS NOT associated with the University of Chicago.

From the Adler Planetarium website:

-- quote

The Adler Planetarium — America's First Planetarium — was founded in
1930 by Chicago business leader Max Adler. The museum is home to three
full-size theaters, including the all-digital projection Definiti®
Space Theater, the Sky Theater which utilizes a Zeiss optical
projector, and the Universe 3D Theater. It is also home to one of the
world's most important antique instrument collections. The Adler is a
recognized leader in science education, with a focus on inspiring
young people, particularly women and minorities, to pursue careers in
science.

-- end quote

But, then, the Adler is a scientific establishment with the mission of
advancing science education -- and science is something Republicons
don't believe in. For Republicons, the only science textbook they
need is the bible where they read that the Earth was created 6,000
years ago in six calendar days.

Old October 9th 08, 12:30 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
canopus56[_1_]

On Oct 8, 5:06*pm, "Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names"
wrote:
snip all

Thank you. That was very helpful. You may want to considering
forwarding this information to FactCheck.org. http://www.factcheck.org/
- Canopus56

Old October 9th 08, 12:39 AM posted to alt.politics,sci.astro.amateur,alt.war.vietnam,alt.military.retired

"Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names" wrote in
:

Including $3 million for
an overhead projector at a planetarium in Chicago, Illinois. My
friends, do we need to spend
that kind of money?”

It is still pork barrel spending. How long have you known it wouldn't be
repairable? Why couldn't you have been holding fund raisers?
Old October 9th 08, 01:04 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
timeOday

.... wrote:
"Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names" wrote in
:

Including $3 million for
an overhead projector at a planetarium in Chicago, Illinois. My
friends, do we need to spend
that kind of money?”

It is still pork barrel spending.

Expect the spending never happened.

"To clarify, the Adler Planetarium requested federal support – which
was not funded"

Meanwhile, Palin DID receive the bridge to nowhere funding, spent it on
something else, and brags about rejecting it!
Old October 9th 08, 01:11 AM posted to alt.politics,sci.astro.amateur,alt.war.vietnam,alt.military.retired
jay

$3 million overhead projector at a planetarium in Chicago, Illinois...

Shouldn't this funding come from the state or city level instead of
CONgress?
Old October 9th 08, 03:31 AM posted to alt.politics,sci.astro.amateur,alt.war.vietnam,alt.military.retired
What Me Worry?[_2_]

Y'know, Kickin', I don't see any of these repug cowards lining up to say
how sorry they are that McCain would slander an upstanding public official,
and baselessly attack the good name of one of the most venerable and
respected science education institutions in the United States.

I guess they're hoping we wouldn't notice what a lying turd McCain really
is.

"Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names" wrote in message
[...]

From the Adler Planetarium website:

Old October 9th 08, 05:13 AM posted to alt.politics,sci.astro.amateur,alt.war.vietnam,alt.military.retired
jerry warner[_26_]

[...]

From the Adler Planetarium website:

[...]

not to mention the fact that 2mil (if it even cost that) for a
projector helps thousands ++ whereas 2mil to a realtor
goes where? (to his boat!).

Old October 9th 08, 05:14 AM posted to alt.politics,sci.astro.amateur,alt.war.vietnam,alt.military.retired
jerry warner[_26_]

What Me Worry? wrote:

[...]

From the Adler Planetarium website:

[...]

dont worry. McCain is history. Palin a mystery.
Both gone for good in a few months -

Old October 9th 08, 09:38 AM posted to alt.politics,sci.astro.amateur,alt.war.vietnam,alt.military.retired
Chris.B

Now that the Planetarium is in the spotlight you have real leverage to
push for funding. Posting your complaints on a specialist forum with a
very small readership may help to release frustration but won't get
you the necessary funding. Go national and go public! There will never
be a better time!

If nothing else it might damage the republicans and that will help to
save our planet from yet more wars, more superstition, more ignorance,
more weapons, more debt to those you do not respect, more racism, more
oil exploration, less science, less education, fewer real truths and
even more global warming. Never mind the parochial American politics.
You owe it to the planet to stop the knuckle dragging, fat cat morons
from getting another term in office! A vote for the republicans is a
vote for the end of the planet as we know and love it. A vote for the
republicans will completely destroy America's last vestiges of a
reputation in the eyes of the world.

Without real American leadership there will be global famine within 10
years and no way to feed them (and yourselves). Australia's grain
harvest will be a distant memory as productive prairies turn to saline
desert. As will the other breadbaskets of the world. Deserts, one by
one. Do you really want Russia and the KGB in charge of global grain
supplies as well as the last important reserves of oil and natural
gas?

Terrorism will escalate completely out of control as frustration
builds globally over issues which have been blocked, or directly
caused, by your present administration. Drug abuse, alcoholism and
homelessness will spiral worldwide as the discontented seek solace for
their unchanging situation of grinding poverty, lack of justice, lack
of health care and lack of freedom to enjoy the benefits they see you
enjoying every day.

Can you cope with an entire world on the move to avoid
desertification, intolerable heat, an unstable atmosphere of
superstorms and flooding on a truly "biblical" scale? Or will you vote
for the sickly old white guy and the promise of tax cuts to those
already rich beyond *your* wildest dreams?

They've had their chance to lead the world for eight whole years and
fell at the first hurdle. They have been face down in the trough ever
since. The truth is that unfettered greed doesn't work except for a
tiny minority. Why do they they never seem keen on sharing the fat
profits as your factory, workshop and store closes for ever? Aren't
you allowed to be just a little greedy too? Or is it only your right
to be on minimum wage and unemployment benefits as they sail away in
their gin palaces to count their obscene bonuses. Having taken your
jobs, your homes, your hopes and probably your family away from you.
It's hard to keep it all together when you have had your pride and
your job taken away from you.

Hope or hopeless? We can't vote to save our world from your
administration. So the vote is yours alone.This is the most important
election in human history. The entire world is watching with baited
breath. Don't let us down. Forgiveness is no longer an option.
Old October 9th 08, 11:00 AM posted to alt.politics,sci.astro.amateur,alt.war.vietnam,alt.military.retired
The tragedy of balding men with long hair

http://www.adlerplanetarium.org/pres..._AdlerStatemen...

[...]

From the Adler Planetarium website:

[...]

There was a time when Republicans had some of the brightest minds.
They back science and technology. Then the Christian Majority seized
hold of this party and ruined the Republican party. With the
Christians, there came the anti-scientific movement and the anti-
intellectual movement within the party. To become a leader in the
Republican party, you had to sell yourself as being against anything
intellectual. This turn against science and though ushered in less
than intelligent politicians like George Bush, Sarah Pallin and
McCain.

If you're a Republica, you have got to ask yourself this: is this what
I want for my party? Do I want my party to be the party of know-
nothings? Do I want my party to be the party of the stupid?