Satellite observing endangered by US Gov regulation!!!

Old February 7th 05, 05:30 AM
TF

Default Satellite observing endangered by US Gov regulation!!!

Information gleamed from another newsgroup..

Appears that after March 2005, keps, TLE's, orbital elements information
that was available from NORAD will now be tightly guarded.....

http://celestrak.com/NORAD/elements/notice.asp

TF

Old February 7th 05, 05:47 AM
Chris L Peterson

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 20:30:57 -0800, "TF" wrote:

Information gleamed from another newsgroup..

Appears that after March 2005, keps, TLE's, orbital elements information
that was available from NORAD will now be tightly guarded.....

http://celestrak.com/NORAD/elements/notice.asp

What makes you think the information will be unavailable? The NASA OAG
page will go down, but the data is now available through the Space-Track
pages. I've been using them for a while now, and the information is the
same. I've seen nothing to suggest that anything will change in March.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old February 7th 05, 06:43 AM
TF

"Chris L Peterson" wrote in message
What makes you think the information will be unavailable? The NASA OAG
page will go down, but the data is now available through the Space-Track
pages. I've been using them for a while now, and the information is the
same. I've seen nothing to suggest that anything will change in March.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

I guess you didnt go thru the Terms and Conditions ???

TF

Old February 7th 05, 07:28 AM
Chris L Peterson

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 21:43:45 -0800, "TF" wrote:

I guess you didnt go thru the Terms and Conditions ???

I did, but I didn't see anything that particularly bothers me. I still
have access to the data. I can still check for decays. My planetarium
programs can still automatically download TLEs.

Sure, there's the obvious governmental paranoia about the data. But that
is so trivial compared to all the other paranoia that is daily screwing
up the lives of Americans that I don't have the energy to be very
concerned about this!

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old February 7th 05, 04:03 PM
Florian

My planetarium programs can still automatically download TLEs.

Hi Chris,

How does your program handle this? I use Orbitron and i don't think=20
it yet has the ability to logon to the space-track site using my=20
name and password.

-Florian

Old February 7th 05, 04:05 PM
RMOLLISE

Chris L Peterson wrote:

Sure, there's the obvious governmental paranoia about the data. But

that
is so trivial compared to all the other paranoia that is daily

screwing
up the lives of Americans that I don't have the energy to be very
concerned about this!

Hi:

Well, you gotta understand...they can't have some nut-job pointing a
green laser pointer at a KH! :-)

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html

Old February 7th 05, 04:37 PM
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 15:03:27 GMT, "Florian"
wrote:

My planetarium programs can still automatically download TLEs.

Hi Chris,

How does your program handle this? I use Orbitron and i don't think
it yet has the ability to logon to the space-track site using my
name and password.

-Florian

The latest version of TheSky gets its satellite elements from
Space-Track. The dialog that lets you select the element set (or
complete catalogs) of interest has boxes for username and password.
Obviously, there is no issue of redistribution here since Space-Track is
the direct source of the data.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old February 7th 05, 08:24 PM
Shawn

RMOLLISE wrote:
Chris L Peterson wrote:

Sure, there's the obvious governmental paranoia about the data. But

that

is so trivial compared to all the other paranoia that is daily

screwing

up the lives of Americans that I don't have the energy to be very
concerned about this!

Hi:

Well, you gotta understand...they can't have some nut-job pointing a
green laser pointer at a KH! :-)

LOL!
Thanks Rod. Reminds me I've got to order my GLP. Coulda really used it
last night when a friend and I were looking for the Clown Face (found it
anyway).

Shawn
Old February 7th 05, 09:29 PM
ASK

Hi Ron,

That's the first thing I thought of also when I saw this thread... Cannt
have people pointing their GLP at those sensitive satellites!!! GOES
satellite weather Image.... GLP followed by partly cloudy green clouds.

LOL!!

"RMOLLISE" wrote in message
ps.com...

Old February 7th 05, 09:53 PM
Mark

Another good reason to turn them around and look the other way...

RMOLLISE wrote:
Chris L Peterson wrote:

Sure, there's the obvious governmental paranoia about the data. But

that
is so trivial compared to all the other paranoia that is daily

screwing
up the lives of Americans that I don't have the energy to be very
concerned about this!

Hi:

Well, you gotta understand...they can't have some nut-job pointing a
green laser pointer at a KH! :-)

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html

M31's other satellite galaxies Bill McClain Amateur Astronomy 31 October 28th 04 09:52 AM
the Pegasus Dwarf is a satellite of our galaxy? sheep defender Astronomy Misc 16 October 28th 04 09:52 AM
Satellite Tracking Pete UK Astronomy 0 June 21st 04 09:11 PM
Relative Beginner at Satellite Observing PZeller66 Satellites 8 May 8th 04 10:48 PM
Successful Launch for Boeing-Built Galaxy XIII/Horizons-1 Satellite Gene Nygaard Policy 0 October 6th 03 05:24 PM