32mm Celestron - Why do these seem inexpensive?

Old February 4th 05, 12:28 AM
Amyotte

Default 32mm Celestron - Why do these seem inexpensive?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

I am looking for a 32mm EP for my 8"f6 DOB and spotted these.

Are these a decent EP?

Why so cheap?

Brian

Old February 4th 05, 01:35 AM
Mark C

Brian,

If your looking for an inexpensive eyepiece try http://www.owlservices.com/
I have no affiliation other than being a happy customer. If you have a 2"
focuser the 2" Ultrawide is a great deal. They also sell on ebay so you can
save a few dollars getting it on ebay from them.

--
Mark Casazza
http://casazza.net

Old February 4th 05, 01:42 AM
Gaz

Hi Brian

I've got that exact same EP, it's a Celestron Omni. I'm not a premiun
EP guy so when i say I think it's a good EP please realize I'm used to
buying in the $50-70 range (well =A3 in the UK, but believe it or not it
works out $1=3D=A31). I paid =A315 for mine fearing the worst, but I'm very
happy with it. It's feels very well made and it's as least good as my
40mm Orion Sirius which retails at =A350 over here, I'm guessing they
are from the same manufacturers and just rebadged.

For $17 you can't go wrong...

Gaz

Old February 4th 05, 10:44 AM
Sayf Connary

Gaz wrote:
Hi Brian

I've got that exact same EP, it's a Celestron Omni. I'm not a premiun
EP guy so when i say I think it's a good EP please realize I'm used to
buying in the $50-70 range (well £ in the UK, but believe it or not it
works out $1=£1). I paid £15 for mine fearing the worst, but I'm very
happy with it. It's feels very well made and it's as least good as my
40mm Orion Sirius which retails at £50 over here, I'm guessing they
are from the same manufacturers and just rebadged.

For $17 you can't go wrong...

Gaz

I would agree with Gaz. I have three of these Omni eyepieces, plus a 2x
Barlow of the same series and I like them. I think the 32mm is the most
used.

Gaz: where did you purchase yours?? I paid more than 15 for mine! :-(

--
~Sayf
Old February 4th 05, 05:01 PM
Duke

Brian, I think the low price is a reflection of all the new high
performance eyepieces which are more desirable so this pushes down the price
of the older designs. The manufacturers need to clear out these eyepieces
so cut the price.
A good example is the following website

http://www.apogeeinc.com/accessories.html

I have bought several items from them and have not been disappointed.
I bought two of their 7.4mm to 22mm zoom eyepieces for $49.95 each.
They are actually made by Nikon and are sold by several companies with their
own brand name and usually sell for much more. They are very good for the
money and are reviewed on cloudynights.com
George

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...3&ssPage Name

Old February 5th 05, 05:42 AM
Gaz

Sayf Connary wrote:

I would agree with Gaz. I have three of these Omni eyepieces, plus a

2x
Barlow of the same series and I like them. I think the 32mm is the

most
used.

Gaz: where did you purchase yours?? I paid more than 15 for mine! :-(

--
~Sayf

Hi Sayf,

I got mine from Ebay (oh, the shame!), there's a guy on there who
knocks out the full Omni range pretty much all the time. Have you got
the 4mm? I was thinking of getting a cheap high power EP...

Cheers
Gaz

Old February 5th 05, 09:54 PM
Gaz

Amyotte wrote:
Thanks for the input guys.

I ordered a 32mm EP from Owlservices. I already have a 25mm and one

of the
new 9mm Knight Owl Wide Angle EPs from Owl and am happy with them

although I
don't have high end EPs to compare them with.

On a budget the inexpensive ones will do just fine.

Brian

Thats my attitude, as long as I never know what I'm missing theres no
problem. I'd hate to look through a Nagler and them have my hobby
become even more expensive!!

BTW I've also got the 66 deg UltraWide 9mm that is the same eyepiece
you bought under a differnt name, its a cracking EP for the money, a
bargain.

cheers
Gaz

Old February 6th 05, 10:11 AM
Sayf Connary

Gaz wrote:
Hi Sayf,

I got mine from Ebay (oh, the shame!), there's a guy on there who
knocks out the full Omni range pretty much all the time. Have you got
the 4mm? I was thinking of getting a cheap high power EP...

Cheers
Gaz

Thanks Gaz,

I have the 32, 20 and 12 plus the 2x Barlow. I do want to get a couple
of higher power eyepieces which is why I asked where you got yours so
bloody cheap! I think I payed about 30quid each for mine. :-( Oh well,
live and learn.

--
~Sayf
Old February 6th 05, 08:14 PM

Sayf Connary wrote:
Gaz wrote:
Hi Sayf,

I got mine from Ebay (oh, the shame!), there's a guy on there who
knocks out the full Omni range pretty much all the time. Have you

got
the 4mm? I was thinking of getting a cheap high power EP...

Cheers
Gaz

Thanks Gaz,

I have the 32, 20 and 12 plus the 2x Barlow. I do want to get a

couple
of higher power eyepieces which is why I asked where you got yours so

bloody cheap! I think I payed about 30quid each for mine. :-( Oh

well,
live and learn.

--
~Sayf

Here is a link to a fine super-wide angle for a great price )
http://www.astrofieds.com/view.asp?a...=&pr icemax=&