How many degrees in their orbit do the planets travel in one Earth year?

Old August 11th 15, 10:31 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

Default How many degrees in their orbit do the planets travel in oneEarth year?

On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 1:57:31 PM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:
On Sunday, August 9, 2015 at 3:57:57 PM UTC-6, Brian Denzer wrote:

What is he talking about, how did he arrive at those numbers, and what is the
unit used in the last term (thirds?)?

Yes, that is the standard symbol for the "third", one-sixtieth of a second.

For the Earth to travel 359° 45' 40" 31''' in one year, instead of 360° does mean that what definition of the year he is using is important.

365 days is also

0.999336878...

tropical years; so that's even more likely to be that to which he was referring.

So the figures given are the motions of the planets in tropical coordinates
over a period of 365 days (in sexagesimal notation). The answer to your
original question.

John Savard
Old August 11th 15, 02:12 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Vath

On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 15:44:38 -0700 (PDT), palsing
wrote this crap:

On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 3:26:55 PM UTC-7, Lord Vath wrote:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 14:28:50 -0700 (PDT), palsing

You are the one who claimed to be fluent in Latin,
and yet you don't know how to spell a word contained
in the most common Christian prayer ever... do
your own homework...

What Christian prayer are you talking about? Can you translate?

"Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name..."

Haw Haw! (Nelson pointing at Bart.) A very poor translation. You
are just quoting something that was written over a thousand years ago.
Let me tell you something about modern day spoken English. The most
likely translation is, "Our Father, who is in the sky, sacred is your
name."

... but still, you have a misspelled word, the one for 'hallowed'...

I already pointed out that my spell checker is no good in Latin.

My point was, that although I was required to take Latin in
high school, the university I attended did not require it for admission,
nor did any of the schools to which I applied, including any
of the University of California campuses, or Stanford, or
USC, and there were others that I don't recall. I just believe
that your Latin teacher was wrong when he said that
Latin was 'required' to go to college, that's all.

Well my Latin teacher, and my guidance counselor told us that most
colleges required Latin.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old August 11th 15, 02:14 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Vath

On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 16:55:36 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
wrote this crap:

On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 4:26:55 PM UTC-6, Lord Vath wrote:

What Christian prayer are you talking about? Can you translate?

Our Father
Who art in Heaven
Hallowed be thy name

is rather obvious enough.

Just a quotation that you memorized. In today's English it would be
quite different.

Old August 11th 15, 03:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

wrote this crap:

On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 3:26:55 PM UTC-7, Lord Vath wrote:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 14:28:50 -0700 (PDT), palsing

You are the one who claimed to be fluent in Latin,
and yet you don't know how to spell a word contained
in the most common Christian prayer ever... do
your own homework...

What Christian prayer are you talking about? Can you translate?

"Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name..."

Haw Haw! (Nelson pointing at Bart.) A very poor translation. You
are just quoting something that was written over a thousand years ago.
Let me tell you something about modern day spoken English. The most
likely translation is, "Our Father, who is in the sky, sacred is your
name."

Not according to this...

https://translate.google.com/#auto/e...20nomen%20tuum

Well my Latin teacher, and my guidance counselor told us that most
colleges required Latin.

When your Latin teacher and your guidance counselor went to college, this may have been true. Look back at the article I quoted that told us that by the early 1940's nearly all US colleges had abandoned that requirement...
Old August 11th 15, 04:09 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Vath

wrote this crap:

On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 3:26:55 PM UTC-7, Lord Vath wrote:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 14:28:50 -0700 (PDT), palsing

You are the one who claimed to be fluent in Latin,
and yet you don't know how to spell a word contained
in the most common Christian prayer ever... do
your own homework...

What Christian prayer are you talking about? Can you translate?

"Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name..."

Haw Haw! (Nelson pointing at Bart.) A very poor translation. You
are just quoting something that was written over a thousand years ago.
Let me tell you something about modern day spoken English. The most
likely translation is, "Our Father, who is in the sky, sacred is your
name."

Not according to this...

I don't click on spam and it's all spam. English is a spoken language
and some computer isn't going to tell me how to speak English, or
Latin.

Well my Latin teacher, and my guidance counselor told us that most
colleges required Latin.

When your Latin teacher and your guidance counselor went to college,
this may have been true. Look back at the article I quoted that told
us that by the early 1940's nearly all US colleges had abandoned
that requirement...

I see I won't change your mind. I went to a very prestigious high
school and it was assumed that I would go to a prestigious college
that required Latin.

Old August 11th 15, 04:28 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 11:09:40 -0400, Lord Vath
wrote:

I see I won't change your mind. I went to a very prestigious high
school and it was assumed that I would go to a prestigious college
that required Latin.

I don't think there are any. Certainly, none of the most prestigious
colleges require Latin, nor have for a long time.

Why don't you share with us the name of your prestigious high school,
your prestigious college where you got your prestigious math degree?
Old August 11th 15, 04:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Vath

wrote:

I see I won't change your mind. I went to a very prestigious high
school and it was assumed that I would go to a prestigious college
that required Latin.

I don't think there are any. Certainly, none of the most prestigious
colleges require Latin, nor have for a long time.

Why don't you share with us the name of your prestigious high school,
your prestigious college where you got your prestigious math degree?

Sure. Why don't I give you my birthdate and my social security
number, too?

My high school was called, "Our Lady of Kiss My Ass," And my college
where I got my math degree was, "Byte Me University."

Old August 11th 15, 04:53 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 11:44:13 -0400, Lord Vath
wrote:

Why don't you share with us the name of your prestigious high school,
your prestigious college where you got your prestigious math degree?

Sure. Why don't I give you my birthdate and my social security
number, too?

The only reason not to provide such information is because it would be
shown false. Where a person was educated is not generally seen as
sensitive information. People who actually attended prestigious
colleges are rightfully proud of their accomplishment.

Unless, of course, you went to Podunk High School in South Carolina
and Liberty "University" for "higher" education. That would be pretty
embarrassing (and would explain a lot).
Old August 11th 15, 05:06 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Vath

wrote:

Why don't you share with us the name of your prestigious high school,
your prestigious college where you got your prestigious math degree?

Sure. Why don't I give you my birthdate and my social security
number, too?

The only reason not to provide such information is because it would be
shown false. Where a person was educated is not generally seen as
sensitive information. People who actually attended prestigious
colleges are rightfully proud of their accomplishment.

Unless, of course, you went to Podunk High School in South Carolina
and Liberty "University" for "higher" education. That would be pretty
embarrassing (and would explain a lot).

Sure. I went to Phoenix University and my ATM code is 0000. Do you
want the code for my alarm system, too?