How many degrees in their orbit do the planets travel in one Earth year?

Old August 10th 15, 09:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Vath

Default How many degrees in their orbit do the planets travel in one Earth year?

On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 13:40:40 -0700 (PDT), palsing
wrote this crap:

On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 12:56:10 PM UTC-7, Lord Vath wrote:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 10:10:11 -0700 (PDT), palsing
wrote this insightful observation:

On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 6:14:57 AM UTC-7, Lord Vath wrote:

... I speak fluent Latin, as do a lot of the scientific
community.

Depends on your definition of 'fluent'.

Pater Noster
qui es in caelis
sanctificentur nomen tuum...

You misspelled an important word there, so much for your fluency...

Oh gee. My spellchecker isn't fluent in Latin. Please tell me what
word I misspelled.

The priest who writes the Latin for the Catholic Church's
official documents and encyclicals estimates that there are probably
no more than 100 people world-wide within the Catholic Church
who truly speak fluent Latin today.

Do you have his name? and his e-mail address?

Father Reginald Foster, now retired...

Reginald foster is a common name. My Latin teacher was Father Sottek,
now long time deceased.

My Latin teacher in high school spoke fluent Latin
and told me that he knew of only a very few others
in the USA who could do so.

MY Latin teacher told me that Latin was *required* for a college
degree.

That depends on which college.

At the time MOST colleges required Latin.

I didn't have to take any language in college because
my 4 years of Latin and 2 years of Greek in high school
fulfilled that requirement.

Good for you. But I wasn't talking about taking language in college.

I doubt very seriously that you are one of them...

Sucks to be you. I am also a concert pianist. I have a grand piano
in my living room.

So do lots of people. So do I, a 1912 Aeolian 4'10" grand.

Take a video of your best effort and post it on YouTube...

Nah. I don't think so. You would accuse me of making a phony video.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old August 10th 15, 10:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Vath

wrote this crap:

Sucks to be you. I am also a concert pianist. I have a grand piano
in my living room.

So do lots of people. So do I, a 1912 Aeolian 4'10" grand.

I had to look this up. Probably most people are not familiar with an
Aeolian piano. "Aeolian" is the Greek god of wind. This suits you.
The Aeolian piano is a player piano.

Old August 10th 15, 10:28 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

wrote this crap:

On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 12:56:10 PM UTC-7, Lord Vath wrote:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 10:10:11 -0700 (PDT), palsing
wrote this insightful observation:

On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 6:14:57 AM UTC-7, Lord Vath wrote:

... I speak fluent Latin, as do a lot of the scientific
community.

Depends on your definition of 'fluent'.

Pater Noster
qui es in caelis
sanctificentur nomen tuum...

You misspelled an important word there, so much for your fluency...

Oh gee. My spellchecker isn't fluent in Latin. Please tell me what
word I misspelled.

You are the one who claimed to be fluent in Latin, and yet you don't know how to spell a word contained in the most common Christian prayer ever... do your own homework...

The priest who writes the Latin for the Catholic Church's
official documents and encyclicals estimates that there are probably
no more than 100 people world-wide within the Catholic Church
who truly speak fluent Latin today.

Do you have his name? and his e-mail address?

Father Reginald Foster, now retired...

Reginald foster is a common name. My Latin teacher was Father Sottek,
now long time deceased.

My Latin teacher in high school spoke fluent Latin
and told me that he knew of only a very few others
in the USA who could do so.

MY Latin teacher told me that Latin was *required* for a college
degree.

That depends on which college.

At the time MOST colleges required Latin.

Not very likely, unless you are older than the hills... this article, talking about language requirements of colleges over the years...

http://www.adfl.org/bulletin/v24n3/old/243029.htm

.... states that "Greek and Latin were at the heart of the curricula of colleges and college-preparatory schools for more than two and a half centuries--in fact, from the founding of the Boston Latin School in 1635 and of Harvard College the following year until the late 1800s. But as arguments for the modern languages and other more "practical" subjects became increasingly vocal, Greek and Latin requirements were gradually eliminated (Reinhold). By the 1930s and 1940s, most American colleges had dropped the entrance requirement, and, largely as a consequence, the study of Greek and Latin was declining in the schools; Greek enrollments plummeted, and Latin enrollments fell from over 50% of the public secondary schools (PSS) population at the turn of the century to only 16% in 1934 and less than 8% in 1948..."

Take a video of your best effort and post it on YouTube...

Nah. I don't think so. You would accuse me of making a phony video.

It would certainly NOT be a phony video if you simply stated, on camera, something like "Hi, I'm Lord Vath and I would like to play for you", or something to that effect. Be bold, accept the challenge, and back up your 'concert pianist' boast...
Old August 10th 15, 10:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

wrote this crap:

Sucks to be you. I am also a concert pianist. I have a grand piano
in my living room.

So do lots of people. So do I, a 1912 Aeolian 4'10" grand.

I had to look this up. Probably most people are not familiar with an
Aeolian piano. "Aeolian" is the Greek god of wind. This suits you.
The Aeolian piano is a player piano.

Good grief, can't you even perform a decent Google search? Aeolian was certainly known for making player pianos back in the day, but they were also known for much more than that, and mine is not a player piano...

http://www.robertspianos.com/cdetail...Aeolian-Pianos

.... I bought it because it was very solid, and the price was right.... it is not the best ever made, but it is just fine for what it is.
Old August 10th 15, 11:16 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Vath

wrote this crap:

Sucks to be you. I am also a concert pianist. I have a grand piano
in my living room.

So do lots of people. So do I, a 1912 Aeolian 4'10" grand.

I had to look this up. Probably most people are not familiar with an
Aeolian piano. "Aeolian" is the Greek god of wind. This suits you.
The Aeolian piano is a player piano.

Good grief, can't you even perform a decent Google search?

Always a pleasure to cross swords with you. Why yes. I can and did do
a search. I showed you what I learned.

Aeolian was certainly known for making player pianos back in the day,
but they were also known for much more than that,
and mine is not a player piano...

Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

... I bought it because it was very solid, and the
price was right.... it is not the best ever made,
but it is just fine for what it is.

I'm happy for you.

Old August 10th 15, 11:27 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Vath

On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 14:28:50 -0700 (PDT), palsing
wrote this crap:

... I speak fluent Latin, as do a lot of the scientific
community.

Depends on your definition of 'fluent'.

Pater Noster
qui es in caelis
sanctificentur nomen tuum...

You misspelled an important word there, so much for your fluency...

Oh gee. My spellchecker isn't fluent in Latin. Please tell me what
word I misspelled.

You are the one who claimed to be fluent in Latin,
and yet you don't know how to spell a word contained
in the most common Christian prayer ever... do
your own homework...

What Christian prayer are you talking about? Can you translate?

[...]

I went to a very prestigious high school and was required to take
Latin. And yes, I am that old. I used to work on radios that had
vacuum tubes.

Take a video of your best effort and post it on YouTube...

Nah. I don't think so. You would accuse me of making a phony video.

It would certainly NOT be a phony video if you simply stated, on
camera, something like "Hi, I'm Lord Vath and I would like to
play for you", or something to that effect. Be bold, accept the
challenge, and back up your 'concert pianist' boast...

Actually, I might do that. This time of year I like to play, "Take me
out to the ball game." And I always like playing the Star Spangled
Banner.

Old August 10th 15, 11:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 3:26:55 PM UTC-7, Lord Vath wrote:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 14:28:50 -0700 (PDT), palsing

You are the one who claimed to be fluent in Latin,
and yet you don't know how to spell a word contained
in the most common Christian prayer ever... do
your own homework...

What Christian prayer are you talking about? Can you translate?

"Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name..."

.... but still, you have a misspelled word, the one for 'hallowed'...

http://mymemory.translated.net/en/La.../sanctificetur

[...]

So did I, a very small school, so did lots of people, and I, too, was required to take Latin. the Greek was an option. My graduating class was only 50 in number, and 25 earned college scholarships, only one did not go to college at all... but he now owns several car dealerships and is stupid rich :). He owns a couple of mansions and a yacht, too... but can't play a piano to save his life...

My point was, that although I was required to take Latin in high school, the university I attended did not require it for admission, nor did any of the schools to which I applied, including any of the University of California campuses, or Stanford, or USC, and there were others that I don't recall. I just believe that your Latin teacher was wrong when he said that Latin was 'required' to go to college, that's all.
Old August 11th 15, 12:55 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 4:26:55 PM UTC-6, Lord Vath wrote:

What Christian prayer are you talking about? Can you translate?

Our Father
Who art in Heaven
Hallowed be thy name

is rather obvious enough.

John Savard
Old August 11th 15, 05:40 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On Tuesday, 11 August 2015 01:55:39 UTC+2, Quadibloc wrote:
On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 4:26:55 PM UTC-6, Lord Vath wrote:

What Christian prayer are you talking about? Can you translate?

Our Father
Who art in Heaven
Hallowed be thy name

is rather obvious enough.

The conversion of a dead language into an archaic one always impresses the [gullible] flock. Baa-baa-baa. Baa!

The medical profession still uses the dead language to hide their guilt at all the pointless blood letting, frontal lobotomies and deliberate poisoning over millennia. Nowadays its being used to hide their guilt at being bribed to sell worthless drugs, with crippling side effects, by mass [household name] poisoners listed on the stock markets. I suppose one should be grateful that the poor were [and still are] usually spared their attentions. All thanks to the doctors' inflated view of their own importance. Quack-quack! [All allegedly of course] ;ø]
Old August 11th 15, 07:33 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Sunday, August 9, 2015 at 10:57:57 PM UTC+1, Brian Denzer wrote:

The reference to degrees traveled by Earth and Saturn:

https://play.google.com/books/reader...n&pg=GBS.PA174

Thanks for any assistance that might be offered.

Kind regards,
Brian

The original heliocentric astronomers founded their interpretations on the motion of the other planets as they completed their circuits through the Zodiac. For instance, Kepler on the motion of Mars in the same time the Earth completes the same circuit.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...retrograde.jpg

"Copernicus, by attributing a single annual motion to the earth,entirely rids the planets of these extremely intricate coils,leading the individual planets into their respective orbits,quite bare and very nearly circular. In the period of time shown in the diagram, Mars traverses one and the same orbit as many times as the 'garlands' you see looped towards the center, with one extra, making nine times, while at the same time the Earth repeats its circle sixteen times " Kepler Astronomia Nova 1609

The ratio between the motion of Mars in proportion to the Earth over a 16 year period can therefore be nailed down to a more detailed value . The later astronomers such as Huygens introduced days/hours/minute values allowed by the emergence of clocks which were not available at the time of Copernicus or Kepler.

It is absolutely crucial that Kepler's 'Lenten Pretzel' diagram is viewed as a tool referring the motion of the Mars to a moving Earth therefore it is not a geocentric description as empiricists assume. They believe if you plonk the Sun in the middle of the diagram then the looping motions disappear ( hence the disruptive double modeling of Newton) but that is unintentional vandalism in light of the approach Kepler took in context of the original discovery of Copernicus.