Belt mode noise comparison vs. gear

Old January 18th 19, 03:14 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

Default Belt mode noise comparison vs. gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE0FK0KDROw

I think, I can used this belt drive?
My Vixen GP/D EQ gears gets very noisy too in the silence at night!
Old January 19th 19, 06:24 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Friday, 18 January 2019 09:34:36 UTC-5, StarDust wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE0FK0KDROw

I think, I can used this belt drive?
My Vixen GP/D EQ gears gets very noisy too in the silence at night!

Meade ETX was one of the worst for this. Not sure how good they are now.
Old January 20th 19, 02:03 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 9:24:30 AM UTC-8, RichA wrote:
On Friday, 18 January 2019 09:34:36 UTC-5, StarDust wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE0FK0KDROw

I think, I can used this belt drive?
My Vixen GP/D EQ gears gets very noisy too in the silence at night!

Meade ETX was one of the worst for this. Not sure how good they are now.

I owned an ETX 90 long time ago for while, sounded like a coffee grinder.
New redesigned version is out, not sure how good is it?
Newer ones the OTA removable!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Uy88iEZ_c
Old January 20th 19, 04:32 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Saturday, 19 January 2019 20:03:43 UTC-5, StarDust wrote:
On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 9:24:30 AM UTC-8, RichA wrote:
On Friday, 18 January 2019 09:34:36 UTC-5, StarDust wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE0FK0KDROw

I think, I can used this belt drive?
My Vixen GP/D EQ gears gets very noisy too in the silence at night!

Meade ETX was one of the worst for this. Not sure how good they are now.

I owned an ETX 90 long time ago for while, sounded like a coffee grinder.
New redesigned version is out, not sure how good is it?
Newer ones the OTA removable!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Uy88iEZ_c

Technically, so are the old ones, but it's difficult. They do have tripod mounts to act as spotters.
Old February 16th 19, 11:44 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
corvastro

On Friday, January 18, 2019 at 6:34:36 AM UTC-8, StarDust wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE0FK0KDROw

I think, I can used this belt drive?
My Vixen GP/D EQ gears gets very noisy too in the silence at night!

It looks like that middle gear may be too loose on the fixed shaft and is wobbling. You could try removing the gear and putting a thin layer of heavy grease on the shaft before reinstalling the gear.

All three gears could stand a thin layer of grease on the teeth to cut down on friction wear.