Atlas 5A rocket at Canada Science and Techology Museum

Old March 22nd 18, 06:26 AM posted to sci.space.history
Michael Gallagher

Default Atlas 5A rocket at Canada Science and Techology Museum

Some years ago, I was reading a book on Canada and stumbled on a
picture of an Atlas 5A rocket on display at the Canada Science and
Techonolgy museum. I went and saw it in person.

Fast forward to reading in Spaceflight that the Museum had closed and
the rocket scrapped. I recently looked into it again and found the
museum had been rebuilt after mold had been discovered in it. As to
the rocket, it had been built in the 1950s and set outside in Ottawa
in the 1970s. The weather had taken its toll, and there was concern
that even with an air compressor keeping it pressurized, the rocket
could collapse. So they scrapped it.

A local liked the rocket and shot drone footage of it before it was
taken down. It was posted on Youtube at this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPmplphBQO4

Enjoy.

Old March 22nd 18, 12:15 PM posted to sci.space.history
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Michael Gallagher" wrote in message

Some years ago, I was reading a book on Canada and stumbled on a
picture of an Atlas 5A rocket on display at the Canada Science and
Techonolgy museum. I went and saw it in person.

Fast forward to reading in Spaceflight that the Museum had closed and
the rocket scrapped. I recently looked into it again and found the
museum had been rebuilt after mold had been discovered in it. As to
the rocket, it had been built in the 1950s and set outside in Ottawa
in the 1970s. The weather had taken its toll, and there was concern
that even with an air compressor keeping it pressurized, the rocket
could collapse. So they scrapped it.

A local liked the rocket and shot drone footage of it before it was
taken down. It was posted on Youtube at this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPmplphBQO4

Enjoy.

Nice video.
I'm a little confused about the designation. I'm not aware of any Atlas that
was called an Atlas 5.
The current model (which this obviously isn't) is the Atlas V.
The early ones were Atlas A-H.

IT Disaster Response -
https://www.amazon.com/Disaster-Resp...dp/1484221834/

Old March 22nd 18, 04:33 PM posted to sci.space.history
Michael Gallagher

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 07:15:57 -0400, "Greg \(Strider\) Moore"
wrote:

"Michael Gallagher" wrote in message
.. .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPmplphBQO4

Enjoy.

Nice video.
I'm a little confused about the designation. I'm not aware of any Atlas that
was called an Atlas 5.
The current model (which this obviously isn't) is the Atlas V.
The early ones were Atlas A-H.

You'll have to ask the Air Force about how they designated what.
Here's its entry on Wikipedia. Hope that clears this up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SM-65_Atlas#Survivors

Old March 28th 18, 01:05 AM posted to sci.space.history
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

wrote:

"Michael Gallagher" wrote in message
. ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPmplphBQO4

Enjoy.

Nice video.
I'm a little confused about the designation. I'm not aware of any Atlas
that
was called an Atlas 5.
The current model (which this obviously isn't) is the Atlas V.
The early ones were Atlas A-H.

You'll have to ask the Air Force about how they designated what.
Here's its entry on Wikipedia. Hope that clears this up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SM-65_Atlas#Survivors

Thanks. I missed that when I looked earlier.

Interesting. I'm even MORE curious now how it got its designation :-)

Thanks for the video.

Old March 30th 18, 03:10 PM posted to sci.space.history
Peter Stickney[_2_]

wrote:

"Michael Gallagher" wrote in message

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPmplphBQO4

Enjoy.

Nice video.
I'm a little confused about the designation. I'm not aware of any Atlas
that was called an Atlas 5.
The current model (which this obviously isn't) is the Atlas V.
The early ones were Atlas A-H.

You'll have to ask the Air Force about how they designated what.
Here's its entry on Wikipedia. Hope that clears this up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SM-65_Atlas#Survivors

Thanks. I missed that when I looked earlier.

Interesting. I'm even MORE curious now how it got its designation :-)

It's simple, really - it was hull number 5 in the initial run of the
prototype A series (X-11) Atlases, and, as a static test article, wasn't
flown.
So, it's Atlas A, #5.
16 Atlas As were built, and 8 were flown (to varying degrees of success)

--
Pete Stickney
“A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many
Old March 30th 18, 03:43 PM posted to sci.space.history
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

wrote:

"Michael Gallagher" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Thanks. I figured it might be something like that.

Old April 1st 18, 02:10 AM posted to sci.space.history
Michael Gallagher

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 20:05:46 -0400, "Greg \(Strider\) Moore"
wrote:

...Thanks for the video.

You're welcome.

Old April 1st 18, 02:11 AM posted to sci.space.history
Michael Gallagher

On Fri, 30 Mar 2018 10:10:43 -0400, Peter Stickney
wrote:

... it was hull number 5 in the initial run of the
prototype A series (X-11) Atlases, and, as a static test article, wasn't
flown.
So, it's Atlas A, #5.
16 Atlas As were built, and 8 were flown (to varying degrees of success)

Thanks for filling thst in.