Orion Expanse E.P. Review

Old July 25th 03, 03:05 PM
Jon Isaacs

Default Orion Expanse E.P. Review

Hi:

Did not notice any.

Peace,
Rod Mollise

Curious. Try putting a bright star, at the edge of the FOV and see if you
notice something. Others with earlier versions of this eyepiece have noticed
significant problems.

jon
Old July 25th 03, 03:07 PM
Jon Isaacs

Jon,

Why not unscrew and remove the top and bottom assemblies to access and
flock the lower half of the middle housing I.D.? You would find it
incredibly easy and quick to accomplish. Will need to leave portion
unflocked where the top section goes back in. That's it, and should
take care of most of the problem.

I did separate the top and bottom halves and "flocked" it using some black
paper. Unfortunately it made absolutely no difference. :-(

jon
Old July 25th 03, 11:09 PM
Rod Mollise

Curious. Try putting a bright star, at the edge of the FOV and see if you
notice something. Others with earlier versions of this eyepiece have
noticed
significant problems.

Hi Jon:

I'll try that this weekend, but I'd think that if I didn't get
ghosting/reflectiond with Mars, I wouldn't get 'em with anything. I mean that
puppy is bright now! :-)

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html
Old July 25th 03, 11:46 PM
Rod Mollise

2. The optics in that NextStar 11 are so bad and there is so much scattered
light, you are unable to see the added glare that is apparent in a optically
superior scope like a Newtonian. :-)

Well...

Sorry...that WAS in one of your beloved Newtonians. :-)

But I noticed similar results in the C11 and the C8.

Old July 28th 03, 12:26 AM
Zan Hecht

I just got the 6mm and the 20mm, and tried them out this weekend. The 20mm
was horrible, IMHO. It was very touchy about eye positioning, and took far
too much effort to look through. The 6mm, however, was very nice, and
provided sharp views of mars and other small objects (such as the
double-double). The 20mm is going back, but I am keeping the 6mm.