Daily Report #4404

Old July 16th 07, 05:07 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Pataro, Pete

Default Daily Report #4404

Notice: Due to the conversion of some ACS WFC or HRC observations into
WFPC2, or NICMOS observations after the loss of ACS CCD science capability
in January, there may be an occasional discrepancy between a proposal's
listed (and correct) instrument usage and the abstract that follows it.

DAILY REPORT # 4404

PERIOD COVERED: UT July 13,14,15, 2007 (DOY 194,195,196)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

NIC1/NIC2/NIC3 8793

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 4

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of NICMOS.
Dark frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA contour 23,
and every time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50 minutes of coming
out of the SAA. The darks will be obtained in parallel in all three NICMOS
Cameras. The POST-SAA darks will be non-standard reference files available
to users with a USEAFTER date/time mark. The keyword 'USEAFTER=date/time'
will also be added to the header of each POST-SAA DARK frame. The keyword
must be populated with the time, in addition to the date, because HST
crosses the SAA ~8 times per day so each POST-SAA DARK will need to have the
appropriate time specified, for users to identify the ones they need. Both
the raw and processed images will be archived as POST-SAA DARKSs. Generally
we expect that all NICMOS science/calibration observations started within 50
minutes of leaving an SAA will need such maps to remove the CR persistence
from the science images. Each observation will need its own CRMAP, as
different SAA passages leave different imprints on the NICMOS detectors.

WFPC2 11178

Probing Solar System History with Orbits, Masses, and Colors of
Transneptunian Binaries

The recent discovery of numerous transneptunian binaries {TNBs} opens a
window into dynamical conditions in the protoplanetary disk where they
formed as well as the history of subsequent events which sculpted the outer
Solar System and emplaced them onto their present day heliocentric orbits.
To date, at least 47 TNBs have been discovered, but only about a dozen have
had their mutual orbits and separate colors determined, frustrating their
use to investigate numerous important scientific questions. The current
shortage of data especially cripples scientific investigations requiring
statistical comparisons among the ensemble characteristics. We propose to
obtain sufficient astrometry and photometry of 23 TNBs to compute their
mutual orbits and system masses and to determine separate primary and
secondary colors, roughly tripling the sample for which this information is
known, as well as extending it to include systems of two near-equal size
bodies. To make the most efficient possible use of HST, we will use a Monte
Carlo technique to optimally schedule our observations.

WFPC2 11175

UV Imaging to Determine the Location of Residual Star Formation in Galaxies
Recently Arrived on the Red Sequence

We have indentified a sample of low-redshift {z = 0.04 - 0.10} galaxies that
are candidates for recent arrival on the red sequence. They have red optical
colors indicative of old stellar populations, but blue UV-optical colors
that could indicate the presence of a small quantity of continuing or very
recent star formation. However, their spectra lack the emission lines that
characterize star-forming galaxies. We propose to use ACS/SBC to obtain
high-resolution imaging of the UV flux in these galaxies, in order to
determine the spatial distribution of the last episode of star formation.
WFPC2 imaging will provide B, V, and I photometry to measure the main
stellar light distribution of the galaxy for comparison with the UV imaging,
as well as to measure color gradients and the distribution of interstellar
dust. This detailed morphological information will allow us to investigate
the hypothesis that these galaxies have recently stopped forming stars and
to compare the observed distribution of the last star formation with
predictions for several different mechanisms that may quench star formation
in galaxies.

NIC2 11157

NICMOS Imaging Survey of Dusty Debris Around Nearby Stars Across the Stellar
Mass Spectrum

Association of planetary systems with dusty debris disks is now quite
secure, and advances in our understanding of planet formation and evolution
can be achieved by the identification and characterization of an ensemble of
debris disks orbiting a range of central stars with different masses and
ages. Imaging debris disks in starlight scattered by dust grains remains
technically challenging so that only about a dozen systems have thus far
been imaged. A further advance in this field needs an increased number of
imaged debris disks. However, the technical challege of such observations,
even with the superb combination of HST and NICMOS, requires the best
targets. Recent HST imaging investigations of debris disks were
sample-limited not limited by the technology used. We performed a search for
debris disks from a IRAS/Hipparcos cross correlation which involved an
exhaustive background contamination check to weed out false excess stars.
Out of ~140 identified debris disks, we selected 22 best targets in terms of
dust optical depth and disk angular size. Our target sample represents the
best currently available target set in terms of both disk brightness and
resolvability. For example, our targets have higher dust optical depth, in
general, than newly identified Spitzer disks. Also, our targets cover a
wider range of central star ages and masses than previous debris disk
surveys. This will help us to investigate planetary system formation and
evolution across the stellar mass spectrum. The technical feasibility of
this program in two-gyro mode guiding has been proven with on-orbit
calibration and science observations during HST cycles 13, 14 and 15.

WFPC2 11079

Treasury Imaging of Star Forming Regions in the Local Group: Complementing
the GALEX and NOAO Surveys

We propose to use WFPC2 to image the most interesting star-forming regions
in the Local Group galaxies, to resolve their young stellar populations. We
will use a set of filters including F170W, which is critical to detect and
characterize the most massive stars, to whose hot temperatures colors at
longer wavelengths are not sensitive. WFPC2's field of view ideally matches
the typical size of the star-forming regions, and its spatial resolution
allows us to measure indvidual stars, given the proximity of these galaxies.
The resulting H-R diagrams will enable studies of star- formation properties
in these regions, which cover largely differing metallicities {a factor of
17, compared to the factor of 4 explored so far} and characteristics. The
results will further our understanding of the star-formation process, of the
interplay between massive stars and environment, the properties of dust, and
will provide the key to interpret integrated measurements of star-formation
indicators {UV, IR, Halpha} available for several hundreds more distant
galaxies. Our recent deep surveys of these galaxies with GALEX {FUV, NUV}
and ground-based imaging {UBVRI, Halpha, [OIII] and [SII]} provided the
identification of the most relevant SF sites. In addition to our scientific
analysis, we will provide catalogs of HST photometry in 6 bands, matched
corollary ground-based data, and UV, Halpha and IR integrated measurements
of the associations, for comparison of integrated star-formation indices to
the resolved populations. We envisage an EPO component.

ACS/SBC/WFPC2 10904

Star formation in extended UV disk {XUV-disk} galaxies

The Galaxy Evolution Explorer {GALEX} has discovered the existence of
extended UV-disk {XUV-disk} galaxies. This class of intriguing spiral
galaxies is distinguished by UV-bright regions of star formation located at
extreme galactocentric radii, commonly reaching many times the optical
extent of each target. XUV-disks represent a population of late-type
galaxies still actively building, or significantly augmenting, their stellar
disk in the outer, low-density environment. Prior to GALEX, such regions
were considered to be far more stable against star formation than now
realized. Our work on these targets has led to the recognition of the XUV
phenomenon as probing a diverse population of galaxies which, although
having certain commonality in terms of their present XUV star formation,
have apparently experienced different star formation histories {as judged by
their outer disk UV-optical colors and morphology}. In ordinary spirals,
disk formation occurred at a much earlier epoch, making today's XUV-disks
useful templates for commonplace, high z galaxies. The diverse XUV-disks in
our sample may represent snapshots of different phases in the disk building
process. We seek to characterize the demographics of star forming regions
occupying this environmental range, especially in contrast to their inner
disk counterparts. HST imaging is needed to accurately characterize the
massive stars and clusters which have, in fact, managed to form. The GALEX
observations are limited by 5" resolution. Deep ACS FUV, B, V, I, and
H-alpha imaging {along with parallel WFPC2 data} will allow: {1} photometric
classification of the OB star population, {2} constraint on the cluster mass
function and age distribution, {3} critical accounting for possible leakage
of Lyman continuum photons in a porous ISM or an IMF change, and {4}
population synthesis modeling of the field SFH on Gyr timescales. We benefit
from extensive archival HST observations of our target galaxies, although
the outer disk has yet to be probed.

WFPC2 10884

The Dynamical Structure of Ellipticals in the Coma and Abell 262 Clusters

We propose to obtain images of 13 relatively luminous early type galaxies in
the Coma cluster and Abell 262 for which we have already collected ground
based major and minor axis spectra and images. The higher resolution HST
images will enable us to study the central regions of these galaxies which
is crucial to our dynamical modelling. The complete data set will allow us
to perform a full dynamical analysis and to derive the dark matter content
and distribution, the stellar orbital structure, and the stellar population
properties of these objects, probing the predictions of galaxy formation
models. The dynamical analysis will be performed using an up-to- date
axi-symmetric orbit superposition code.

NIC3 10874

Search for Extremely Faint z7 Galaxy Population with Cosmic Lenses

Deep UDF/NICMOS observations find a significant decrease in the number of
galaxy candidates between redshift z=6 and 7, but the sample at z7 is too
small to draw conclusions. From our observations of 15 clusters we have
found a number of bright z-dropouts, aided by the lensing amplification. We
propose deep NICMOS observations of the best cases of cluster centers where
a rare combination of a significant lensing effect and the richness in
z-band dropouts in background may dramatically increase the discovery rate.
The NICMOS images will reach an unprecendented depth of AB~27.8, or AB~30 in
nonlensed intrinsic magnitude, and may find many faint {~0.05L*} galaxies at
z=7-10, at a level that the UDF reaches for z~6 objects. We produce
precision mass distribution maps from weak-lensing models, which enable us
to derive the candidates' intrinsic magnitudes and their luminosity
function. The knowledge of such faint galaxy population at z7 will
facilitate the models of the IGM reionization and future JWST planning.

WFPC2 10818

Very Young Globular Clusters in M31 ?

We propose to use HST's unique high spatial resolution imaging capabilities
to conclusively confirm or refute the presence of alleged very young
globular clusters in M31. Such young globular clusters with ages 3 Gyr are
not present in our galaxy, and, if real, would lead to a striking difference
in the age distribution of the GCs between M31 and the Millky Way. If the
apparent presence of very young globular clusters in M31 is confirmed
through our proposed ACS imaging {now WFPC2 imaging} with HST, this would
suggest major differences in the history of assembly of the two galaxies,
with probable substantial late accretion into M31 which did not occur in our
own galaxy.

ACS/SBC 10810

The Gas Dissipation Timescale: Constraining Models of Planet Formation

We propose to constrain planet-formation models by searching for molecular
hydrogen emission around young {10-50 Myr} solar-type stars that have
evidence for evolved dust disks. Planet formation models show that the
presence of gas in disks is crucial to the formation of BOTH giant and
terrestrial planets, influences dust dynamics, and through tidal
interactions with giant planets leads to orbital migration. However, there
is a lack of systematic information on the presence and lifetime of gas
residing at planet-forming radii. We will use a newly identified broad
continuum emission feature of molecular hydrogen at 1600 Angstrom to search
for residual gas within an orbital radius of 5-10 AU around young stars that
have evolved beyond the optically thick T Tauri phase. These observations
will enable the most sensitive probe to date of remant gas in circumstellar
disks, detecting surfaces densites of ~0.0001 g/cm^2, or less than 10^-5 of
the theoretical "mininum mass" solar nebula from which our solar system is
thought to have formed. Our observations are designed to be synergistic with
ongoing searches for gas emission that is being performed using the Spitzer
Space Telescope in that the proposed HST observations are ~100 times more
sensitive and will have 50 times higher angular resolution. These combined
studies will provide the most comprehensive view of residual gas in proto-
planetary disks and can set important constraints on models of planet
formation.

ACS/HRC 10806

Accretion in the closest binary systems known

Recently, three variable stars have been identified as likely accreting
binary systems with ultra- short orbital periods. Optical and X-ray
observations have revealed periodicities of 5-10 minutes, making them the
closest binaries known as well as strong sources of gravitational wave
emission. Such short-period accreting binaries form the cornerstone to our
understanding of binary formation and evolution, in particular of the large
double white dwarf population in our galaxy, a candidate progenitor
population for Type Ia supernovae. We propose to obtain the first UV
spectroscopy of these objects using the ACS prisms in order to {i} determine
the temperature of the primary and the composition of their donor stars,
{ii} correlate the UV variability with other wavebands and determine if the
periods are indeed orbital. These UV observations are essential in order to
unequivocally determine whether these are indeed the most compact binaries
known.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

Significant Spacecraft Anomalies: (The following are preliminary reports of
potential non-nominal performance that will be investigated.)

HSTARS:

#10892 OBAD Failed Quaternion (ESB 1903) & OBAD Too few stars (ESB 1901).

At 194/19:00:38 "OBAD Failed Quaternion". At 19:01:37 equation F2SOB flagged
indicating entering Stuck-on-Bottom. At 19:05:42 F2SOB returned back in
bounds due to start of OBAD #2. At 19:08:26 received error "OBAD Too few
stars". At 19:09:31 equation F2SOB flagged indicating Stuck-on-Bottom.
Unable to perform OBAD table dumps as forward ended at 19:01:01. OBAD #1: V1
673.57, V2 -1769.09, V3 -336.61, RSS 1922.68 OBAD #2: Same numbers as above
OBAD MAP: V1 593.88, V2 -1714.43, V3 -423.05, RSS 1863.05 GSAcq scheduled at
19:10:43 was not attempted.

#10893 GSAcq (1,2,2) failed due to Search Radius Limit Exceeded on FGS 1.

At AOS (195/01:05:57) GSAcq (1,2,2) scheduled from 195/00:00:14-00:07:34
failed due to search radius limit exceeded on FGS 1. OBAD data unavailable
due to LOS. OBAD MAP RSS: 49.95

#10894 GSacq(2,1,2) failed, Search Radius Limit exceeded on FGS 2.

Upon acquisition of signal at 195/19:25:25 vehicle was in RGA control with
FGS2 Search Radius Limit and Stop flags set. GSacq(2,1,2) scheduled at
19:11:56 failed with search radius limit exceeded on FGS 2. Post-acquisition
OBAD/MAP at 19:20:00 had RSS error of 20.16 arcseconds. OBADs prior to GSACQ
are not available. REACQ(2,1,2) at 20:44:12 was successful.

#10895 GSaqc(1,2,2) failed to RGA control.

The GSacq(1,2,2) scheduled at 195/22:21:07 failed during LOS due to search
radius limit exceeded on FGS 1. The map at 22:28:27 showed errors of
V1=o.33, V2=-3.53, V3=61.25, and RSS= 61.35.

#10896 OBAD Failed Identification (ESB 1902).

OBAD1 scheduled at 195/23:47:00 failed during LOS. OBAD2 and the GSacq was
successful.

#10897 REacq(1,3,1) failed, Search Radius Limit exceeded on FGS 2.

REacq(1,3,1) at 196/11:07:23 failed at 11:13:04 with search radius limit
exceeded on FGS 1. OBADs prior to REacq at 11:03:03 had RSS error of 59.84
arcseconds, Post-acquisition OBAD/MAP at 11:15:27 had RSS error of 62.24
arcseconds.

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST:

#17597-9 FHST Stuck-on-Bottom Macro Execution @ 196/0136z & 196/0322z

SCHEDULED SUCCESSFUL

FGS GSacq 25 21
FGS REacq 18 17
OBAD with Maneuver 86 83

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS: (None)

Daily Report #4333 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 April 4th 07 03:43 PM
DAILY REPORT #3901 Lynn Bassford Hubble 0 July 20th 05 09:47 PM
Daily Report [email protected] Hubble 0 October 29th 04 04:59 PM
HST Daily Report 131 George Barbehenn Hubble 0 May 11th 04 02:48 PM