Daily Report #4400

Old July 10th 07, 04:32 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Pataro, Pete

Default Daily Report #4400

Notice: Due to the conversion of some ACS WFC or HRC observations into
WFPC2, or NICMOS observations after the loss of ACS CCD science
capability in January, there may be an occasional discrepancy between
a proposal's listed (and correct) instrument usage and the abstract
that follows it.

DAILY REPORT # 4400

PERIOD COVERED: UT July 9, 2007 (DOY 190)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

ACS/SBC 10872

Lyman Continuum Emission in Galaxies at z=1.2

Lyman continuum photons produced in massive starbursts may have played
a dominant role in the reionization of the Universe. Starbursts are
important contributors to the ionizing metagalactic background at
lower redshifts as well. However, their contribution to the background
depends upon the fraction of ionizing radiation that escapes from the
intrinsic opacity of galaxies below the Lyman limit. Current surveys
suggest escape fractions of a few percent, up to 10%, with very few
detections {as opposed to upper limits} having been reported. No
detections have been reported in the epochs between z=0.1 and z=2. We
propose to measure the fraction of escaping Lyman continuum radiation
from 15 luminous z~1.2 galaxies in the GOODS fields. Using the
tremendous sensitivity of the ACS Solar-blind Channel, we will reach
AB=30 mag., allowing us to detect an escape fraction of 1%. We will
correlate the amount of escaping radiation with the photometric and
morphological properties of the galaxies. A non-detection in all
sources would imply that QSOs provide the overwhelming majority of
ionizing radiation at z=1.3, and it would strongly indicate that the
properties of galaxies at higher redshift have to be significantly
different for galaxies to dominate reionization. The deep FUV images
will also be useful for extending the FUV study of other galaxies in
the GOODS fields.

WFPC2 11024

WFPC2 CYCLE 15 INTERNAL MONITOR

This calibration proposal is the Cycle 15 routine internal monitor for
WFPC2, to be run weekly to monitor the health of the cameras. A
variety of internal exposures are obtained in order to provide a
monitor of the integrity of the CCD camera electronics in both bays
{both gain 7 and gain 15 -- to test stability of gains and bias
levels}, a test for quantum efficiency in the CCDs, and a monitor for
possible buildup of contaminants on the CCD windows. These also
provide raw data for generating annual super-bias reference files for
the calibration pipeline.

ACS/SBC 10920

High-Resolution Imaging of Nearby Lyman Break Galaxy Analogs in the
GALEX All-Sky Survey

We have used the ultraviolet all-sky imaging survey currently being
conducted by the Galaxy Evolution Explorer {GALEX} to identify for the
first time a rare population of low-redshift starbursts with
properties remarkably similar to high-redshift Lyman Break Galaxies.
These compact UV luminous galaxies {UVLGs} resemble Lyman Break
Galaxies in terms of size, UV luminosity, star-formation rate, surface
brightness, mass, metallicity, kinematics, dust content, and color.
They have characteristic ``ages'' {stellar mass/SFR} of only a few
hundred Myr. This population of galaxies is thus worthy of study in
its own right and as a sample of local analogs of Lyman Break
Galaxies. We propose to image a sample of the 9 nearest and brightest
compact UVLGs in the near-ultraviolet, near-infrared, and H-alpha
using ACS. With these images we will 1} characterize their structure
and morphology, 2} look for signs of interactions and mergers, 3}
investigate the distribution and propagation of star formation over
varying time scales, and 4} quantify the stellar populations and star
formation history, in order to determine whether a previous generation
of stars formed long before the current burst. These data will
perfectly complement our existing Spitzer, GALEX, and SDSS data, and
will provide important information on star-formation in the
present-day universe as well as shed light on the earliest major
episodes of star formation in high-redshift galaxies.

NICMOS 8791

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 2

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of
NICMOS. Dark frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA
contour 23, and every time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50
minutes of coming out of the SAA. The darks will be obtained in
parallel in all three NICMOS Cameras. The POST-SAA darks will be
non-standard reference files available to users with a USEAFTER
date/time mark. The keyword 'USEAFTER=date/time' will also be added to
the header of each POST-SAA DARK frame. The keyword must be populated
with the time, in addition to the date, because HST crosses the SAA ~8
times per day so each POST-SAA DARK will need to have the appropriate
time specified, for users to identify the ones they need. Both the raw
and processed images will be archived as POST-SAA DARKSs. Generally we
expect that all NICMOS science/calibration observations started within
50 minutes of leaving an SAA will need such maps to remove the CR
persistence from the science images. Each observation will need its
own CRMAP, as different SAA passages leave different imprints on the
NICMOS detectors.

WFPC2 11023

WFPC2 CYCLE 15 Standard Darks - part 1

This dark calibration program obtains dark frames every week in order
to provide data for the ongoing calibration of the CCD dark current
rate, and to monitor and characterize the evolution of hot pixels.
Over an extended period these data will also provide a monitor of
radiation damage to the CCDs.

WFPC2 11079

Treasury Imaging of Star Forming Regions in the Local Group:
Complementing the GALEX and NOAO Surveys

We propose to use WFPC2 to image the most interesting star-forming
regions in the Local Group galaxies, to resolve their young stellar
populations. We will use a set of filters including F170W, which is
critical to detect and characterize the most massive stars, to whose
hot temperatures colors at longer wavelengths are not sensitive.
WFPC2's field of view ideally matches the typical size of the
star-forming regions, and its spatial resolution allows us to measure
individual stars, given the proximity of these galaxies. The resulting
H-R diagrams will enable studies of star- formation properties in
these regions, which cover largely differing metallicities {a factor
of 17, compared to the factor of 4 explored so far} and
characteristics. The results will further our understanding of the
star-formation process, of the interplay between massive stars and
environment, the properties of dust, and will provide the key to
interpret integrated measurements of star-formation indicators {UV,
IR, Halpha} available for several hundreds more distant galaxies. Our
recent deep surveys of these galaxies with GALEX {FUV, NUV} and
ground-based imaging {UBVRI, Halpha, [OIII] and [SII]} provided the
identification of the most relevant SF sites. In addition to our
scientific analysis, we will provide catalogs of HST photometry in 6
bands, matched corollary ground-based data, and UV, Halpha and IR
integrated measurements of the associations, for comparison of
integrated star-formation indices to the resolved populations. We
envisage an EPO component.

WFPC2 11113

Binaries in the Kuiper Belt: Probes of Solar System Formation and
Evolution

The discovery of binaries in the Kuiper Belt and related small body
populations is powering a revolutionary step forward in the study of
this remote region. Three quarters of the known binaries in the Kuiper
Belt have been discovered with HST, most by our snapshot surveys. The
statistics derived from this work are beginning to yield surprising
and unexpected results. We have found a strong concentration of
binaries among low-inclination Classicals, a possible size cutoff to
binaries among the Centaurs, an apparent preference for nearly equal
mass binaries, and a strong increase in the number of binaries at
small separations. We propose to continue this successful program in
Cycle 16; we expect to discover at least 13 new binary systems,
targeted to subgroups where these discoveries can have the greatest
impact.

WFPC2 11178

Probing Solar System History with Orbits, Masses, and Colors of
Transneptunian Binaries

The recent discovery of numerous transneptunian binaries {TNBs} opens
a window into dynamical conditions in the protoplanetary disk where
they formed as well as the history of subsequent events which sculpted
the outer Solar System and emplaced them onto their present day
heliocentric orbits. To date, at least 47 TNBs have been discovered,
but only about a dozen have had their mutual orbits and separate
colors determined, frustrating their use to investigate numerous
important scientific questions. The current shortage of data
especially cripples scientific investigations requiring statistical
comparisons among the ensemble characteristics. We propose to obtain
sufficient astrometry and photometry of 23 TNBs to compute their
mutual orbits and system masses and to determine separate primary and
secondary colors, roughly tripling the sample for which this
information is known, as well as extending it to include systems of
two near-equal size bodies. To make the most efficient possible use of
HST, we will use a Monte Carlo technique to optimally schedule our
observations.

WFPC2 11229

SEEDS: The Search for Evolution of Emission from Dust in Supernovae
with HST and Spitzer

The role that massive stars play in the dust content of the Universe
is extremely uncertain. It has long been hypothesized that dust can
condense within the ejecta of supernovae {SNe}, however there is a
frustrating discrepancy between the amounts of dust found in the early
Universe, or predicted by nucleation theory, and inferred from SN
observations. Our SEEDS collaboration has been carefully revisiting
the observational case for dust formation by core- collapse SNe, in
order to quantify their role as dust contributors in the early
Universe. As dust condenses in expanding SN ejecta, it will increase
in optical depth, producing three simultaneously observable phenomena:
{1} increasing optical extinction; {2} infrared {IR} excesses; and {3}
asymmetric blue-shifted emission lines. Our SEEDS collaboration
recently reported all three phenomena occurring in SN2003gd,
demonstrating the success of our observing strategy, and permitting us
to derive a dust mass of up to 0.02 solar masses created in the SN. To
advance our understanding of the origin and evolution of the
interstellar dust in galaxies, we propose to use HST's WFPC2 and
NICMOS instruments plus Spitzer's photometric instruments to monitor
ten recent core-collapse SNe for dust formation and, as a bonus,
detect light echoes that can affect the dust mass estimates. These
space-borne observations will be supplemented by ground-based
spectroscopic monitoring of their optical emission line profiles.
These observations would continue our 2-year HST and Spitzer
monitoring of this phenomena in order to address two key questions: Do
all SNe produce dust? and How much dust do they produce? As all the SN
are within 15 Mpc, each SN stands an excellent chance of detection
with HST and Spitzer and of resolving potential light echoes.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS:

#10884 GSAcq(2,1,2) failed to RGA Hold (Gyro Control).

Upon acquisition of signal (AOS) at 190/15:59:30, the GSAcq(2,1,2)
scheduled at 190/15:51:38 - 15:59:43 had failed to RGA Hold due to a
Search Radius Limit Exceeded Error on FGS-2. Pre-acquisition OBAD1
attitude correction value not available due to LOS. OBAD2 had (RSS)
value of 122.17 arcseconds. Post-acq OBAD/MAP (without maneuver) not
scheduled.

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST: (None)

********************************* SCHEDULED SUCCESSFUL

OBAD with Maneuver********* *** * 28*************** 28

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS: (None)

Daily Report #4150 Lynn Bassford Hubble 0 July 8th 06 01:46 AM
Daily Report # 4146 Rosalie Consiglio Hubble 0 June 30th 06 07:28 PM
DAILY REPORT #3895 Lynn Bassford Hubble 0 July 20th 05 09:46 PM
Daily Report [email protected] Hubble 0 October 29th 04 04:59 PM
HST Daily Report 131 George Barbehenn Hubble 0 May 11th 04 02:48 PM