Daily Report #4397

Old July 5th 07, 04:13 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Pataro, Pete

Default Daily Report #4397

Notice: For the foreseeable future, the daily reports may contain
apparent discrepancies between some proposal descriptions and the
listed instrument usage. This is due to the conversion of previously
approved ACS WFC or HRC observations into WFPC2, or NICMOS
observations subsequent to the loss of ACS CCD science capability in
late January.

DAILY REPORT # 4397

PERIOD COVERED: UT June 03, 04, 2007 (DOY 184, 185)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

NIC1/NIC2/NIC3 8794

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 5

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of
NICMOS. Dark frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA
contour 23, and every time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50
minutes of coming out of the SAA. The darks will be obtained in
parallel in all three NICMOS Cameras. The POST-SAA darks will be non-
standard reference files available to users with a USEAFTER date/time
mark. The keyword 'USEAFTER=date/time' will also be added to the
header of each POST-SAA DARK frame. The keyword must be populated with
the time, in addition to the date, because HST crosses the SAA ~8
times per day so each POST-SAA DARK will need to have the appropriate
time specified, for users to identify the ones they need. Both the raw
and processed images will be archived as POST-SAA DARKSs. Generally we
expect that all NICMOS science/calibration observations started within
50 minutes of leaving an SAA will need such maps to remove the CR
persistence from the science images. Each observation will need its
own CRMAP, as different SAA passages leave different imprints on the
NICMOS detectors.

WFPC2 11292

The Ring Plane Crossings of Uranus in 2007

The rings of Uranus turn edge-on to Earth in May and August 2007. In
between, we will have a rare opportunity to see the unlit face of the
rings. With the nine optically thick rings essentially invisible, we
will observe features and phenomena that are normally lost in their
glare. We will use this opportunity to search thoroughly for the
embedded "shepherd" moons long believed to confine the edges of the
rings, setting a mass limit roughly 10 times smaller than that of the
smallest shepherd currently known, Cordelia. We will measure the
vertical thicknesses of the rings and study the faint dust belts only
known to exist from a single Voyager image. We will also study the
colors of the newly-discovered faint, outer rings; recent evidence
suggests that one ring is red and the other blue, implying that each
ring is dominated by a different set of physical processes. We will
employ near- edge-on photometry from 2006 and 2007 to derive the
particle filling factor within the rings, to observe how ring epsilon
responds to the "traffic jam" as particles pass through its narrowest
point, and to test the latest models for preserving eccentricities and
apse alignment within the rings. Moreover, this data set will allow us
to continue monitoring the motions of the inner moons, which have been
found to show possibly chaotic orbital variations; by nearly doubling
the time span of the existing Hubble astrometry, the details of the
variations will become much clearer.

WFPC2 11289

SL2S: The Strong Lensing Legacy Survey

Recent systematic surveys of strong galaxy-galaxy lenses {CLASS,
SLACS, GOODS, etc.} are producing spectacular results for galaxy
masses roughly below a transition mass M~10^13 Mo. The observed lens
properties and their evolution up to z~0.2, consistent with numerical
simulations, can be described by isothermal elliptical potentials. In
contrast, modeling of giant arcs in X-ray luminous clusters {halo
masses M ~10^13 Mo} favors NFW mass profiles, suggesting that dark
matter halos are not significantly affected by baryon cooling. Until
recently, lensing surveys were neither deep nor extended enough to
probe the intermediate mass density regime, which is fundamental for
understanding the assembly of structures. The CFHT Legacy Survey now
covers 125 square degrees, and thus offers a large reservoir of strong
lenses probing a large range of mass densities up to z~1. We have
extracted a list of 150 strong lenses using the most recent CFHTLS
data release via automated procedures. Following our first SNAPSHOT
proposal in cycle 15, we propose to continue the Hubble follow-up
targeting a larger list of 130 lensing candidates. These are
intermediate mass range candidates {between galaxies and clusters}
that are selected in the redshift range of 0.2-1 with no a priori
X-ray selection. The HST resolution is necessary for confirming the
lensing candidates, accurate modeling of the lenses, and probing the
total mass concentration in galaxy groups up to z~1 with the largest
unbiased sample available to date.

ACS/SBC 11225

The Wavelength Dependence of Accretion Disk Structure

We can now routinely measure the size of quasar accretion disks using
gravitational microlensing of lensed quasars. The next step to testing
accretion disk models is to measure the size of accretion disks as a
function of wavelength, particularly at the UV and X-ray wavelengths
that should probe the inner, strong gravity regime. Here we focus on
two four-image quasar lenses that already have optical {R band} and
X-ray size measurements using microlensing. We will combine the HST
observations with ground-based monitoring to measure the disk size as
a function of wavelength from the near-IR to the UV. We require HST to
measure the image flux ratios in the ultraviolet continuum near the
Lyman limit of the quasars. The selected targets have estimated black
hole masses that differ by an order of magnitude, and we should find
wavelength scaling for the two systems that are very different because
the Blue/UV wavelengths should correspond to parts of the disk near
the inner edge for the high mass system but not in the low mass
system. The results will be modeled using a combination of simple thin
disk models and complete relativistic disk models. While requiring
only 18 orbits, success for one system requires observations in both
Cycles 16 and 17.

FGS 11210

The Architecture of Exoplanetary Systems

Are all planetary systems coplanar? Concordance cosmogony makes that
prediction. It is, however, a prediction of extrasolar planetary
system architecture as yet untested by direct observation for main
sequence stars other than the Sun. To provide such a test, we propose
to carry out FGS astrometric studies on four stars hosting seven
companions. Our understanding of the planet formation process will
grow as we match not only system architecture, but formed planet mass
and true distance from the primary with host star characteristics for
a wide variety of host stars and exoplanet masses. We propose that a
series of FGS astrometric observations with demonstrated 1 millisecond
of arc per- observation precision can establish the degree of
coplanarity and component true masses for four extrasolar systems: HD
202206 {brown dwarf+planet}; HD 128311 {planet+planet}, HD 160691 = mu
Arae {planet+planet}, and HD 222404AB = gamma Cephei {planet+star}. In
each case the companion is identified as such by assuming that the
minimum mass is the actual mass. For the last target, a known stellar
binary system, the companion orbit is stable only if coplanar with the
AB binary orbit.

WFPC2 11175

UV Imaging to Determine the Location of Residual Star Formation in
Galaxies Recently Arrived on the Red Sequence

We have identified a sample of low-redshift {z = 0.04 - 0.10} galaxies
that are candidates for recent arrival on the red sequence. They have
red optical colors indicative of old stellar populations, but blue
UV-optical colors that could indicate the presence of a small quantity
of continuing or very recent star formation. However, their spectra
lack the emission lines that characterize star-forming galaxies. We
propose to use ACS/SBC to obtain high- resolution imaging of the UV
flux in these galaxies, in order to determine the spatial distribution
of the last episode of star formation. WFPC2 imaging will provide B,
V, and I photometry to measure the main stellar light distribution of
the galaxy for comparison with the UV imaging, as well as to measure
color gradients and the distribution of interstellar dust. This
detailed morphological information will allow us to investigate the
hypothesis that these galaxies have recently stopped forming stars and
to compare the observed distribution of the last star formation with
predictions for several different mechanisms that may quench star
formation in galaxies.

NIC2 11157

NICMOS Imaging Survey of Dusty Debris Around Nearby Stars Across the
Stellar Mass Spectrum

Association of planetary systems with dusty debris disks is now quite
secure, and advances in our understanding of planet formation and
evolution can be achieved by the identification and characterization
of an ensemble of debris disks orbiting a range of central stars with
different masses and ages. Imaging debris disks in starlight scattered
by dust grains remains technically challenging so that only about a
dozen systems have thus far been imaged. A further advance in this
field needs an increased number of imaged debris disks. However, the
technical challenge of such observations, even with the superb
combination of HST and NICMOS, requires the best targets. Recent HST
imaging investigations of debris disks were sample-limited not limited
by the technology used. We performed a search for debris disks from a
IRAS/Hipparcos cross correlation which involved an exhaustive
background contamination check to weed out false excess stars. Out of
~140 identified debris disks, we selected 22 best targets in terms of
dust optical depth and disk angular size. Our target sample represents
the best currently available target set in terms of both disk
brightness and resolvability. For example, our targets have higher
dust optical depth, in general, than newly identified Spitzer disks.
Also, our targets cover a wider range of central star ages and masses
than previous debris disk surveys. This will help us to investigate
planetary system formation and evolution across the stellar mass
spectrum. The technical feasibility of this program in two-gyro mode
guiding has been proven with on- orbit calibration and science
observations during HST cycles 13, 14, and 15.

NIC2 11101

The Relevance of Mergers for Fueling AGNs: Answers from QSO Host
Galaxies

The majority of QSOs are known to reside in centers of galaxies that
look like ellipticals. Numerical simulations have shown that remnants
of galaxy mergers often closely resemble elliptical galaxies. However,
it is still strongly debated whether the majority of QSO host galaxies
are indeed the result of relatively recent mergers or whether they are
completely analogous to inactive ellipticals to which nothing
interesting has happened recently. To address this question, we
recently obtained deep HST ACS images for five QSO host galaxies that
were classified morphologically as ellipticals {GO-10421}. This pilot
study revealed striking signs of tidal interactions such as ripples,
tidal tails, and warped disks that were not detected in previous
studies. Our observations show that at least some "elliptical" QSO
host galaxies are the products of relatively recent merger events
rather than old galaxies formed at high redshift. However, the
question remains whether the host galaxies of classical QSOs are truly
distinct from inactive ellipticals and whether there is a connection
between the merger events we detect and the current nuclear activity.
We must therefore place our results into a larger statistical context.
We are currently conducting an HST archival study of inactive
elliptical galaxies {AR-10941} to form a control sample. We now
propose to obtain deep HST/WFPC2 images of 13 QSOs whose host galaxies
are classified as normal ellipticals. Comparing the results for both
samples will help us determine whether classical QSOs reside in normal
elliptical galaxies or not. Our recent pilot study of five QSOs
indicates that we can expect exciting results and deep insights into
the host galaxy morphology also for this larger sample of QSOs. A
statistically meaningful sample will help us determine the true
fraction of QSO hosts that suffered strong tidal interactions and
thus, whether a merger is indeed a requirement to trigger nuclear
activity in the most luminous AGNs. In addition to our primary science
observations with WFPC2, we will obtain NICMOS3 parallel observations
with the overall goal to select and characterize galaxy populations at
high redshifts. The imaging will be among the deepest NICMOS images:
These NICMOS images are expected to go to a limit a little over 1
magnitude brighter than HUDF-NICMOS data, but over 13 widely separated
fields, with a total area about 1.5 times larger than HUDF-NICMOS.
This separation means that the survey will tend to average out effects
of cosmic variance. The NICMOS3 images will have sufficient resolution
for an initial characterization of galaxy morphologies, which is
currently one of the most active and promising areas in approaching
the problem of the formation of the first massive galaxies. The depth
and area coverage of our proposed NICMOS observations will also allow
a careful study of the mass function of galaxies at these redshifts.
This provides a large and unbiased sample, selected in terms of
stellar mass and unaffected by cosmic variance, to study the on-going
star formation activity as a function of mass {i.e. integrated star
formation} at this very important epoch.

WFPC2 11079

Treasury Imaging of Star Forming Regions in the Local Group:
Complementing the GALEX and NOAO Surveys

We propose to use WFPC2 to image the most interesting star-forming
regions in the Local Group galaxies, to resolve their young stellar
populations. We will use a set of filters including F170W, which is
critical to detect and characterize the most massive stars, to whose
hot temperatures colors at longer wavelengths are not sensitive.
WFPC2's field of view ideally matches the typical size of the
star-forming regions, and its spatial resolution allows us to measure
individual stars, given the proximity of these galaxies. The resulting
H- R diagrams will enable studies of star-formation properties in
these regions, which cover largely differing metallicities {a factor
of 17, compared to the factor of 4 explored so far} and
characteristics. The results will further our understanding of the
star-formation process, of the interplay between massive stars and
environment, the properties of dust, and will provide the key to
interpret integrated measurements of star-formation indicators {UV,
IR, Halpha} available for several hundreds more distant galaxies. Our
recent deep surveys of these galaxies with GALEX {FUV, NUV} and
ground-based imaging {UBVRI, Halpha, [OIII] and [SII]} provided the
identification of the most relevant SF sites. In addition to our
scientific analysis, we will provide catalogs of HST photometry in 6
bands, matched corollary ground-based data, and UV, Halpha and IR
integrated measurements of the associations, for comparison of
integrated star-formation indices to the resolved populations. We
envisage an EPO component.

NIC1 11063

NICMOS Focus Monitoring

This program is a version of the standard focus sweep used since cycle
7. It has been modified to go deeper and uses more narrow filters for
improved focus determination. For Cycle14 a new source has been added
in order to accommodate 2-gyro mode: the open cluster NGC1850. The old
target, the open cluster NGC3603, will be used whenever available and
the new target used to fill the periods when NGC3603 is not visible.
Steps: a} Use refined target field positions as determined from cycle
7 calibrations b} Use MULTIACCUM sequences of sufficient dynamic range
to account for defocus c} Do a 17- point focus sweep, +/- 8mm about
the PAM mechanical zeropoint for each cameras 1 and 2, in 1.0mm steps.
d} Use PAM X/Y tilt and OTA offset slew compensations refined from
previous focus monitoring/optical alignment activities.

NIC3 11062

NICMOS non-linearity tests

This program incorporates a number of tests to analyse the count rate
dependent non- linearity seen in NICMOS spectro-photometric
observations. We will observe a field with stars of a range in
luminosity in NGC3603 with NICMOS in NIC1: F090M, F110W, F140W, F160W
NIC2: F110W, F160W, F187W, F205W, and F222M NIC3: F110W, F150W, F160W,
F175W, and F222M. We will repeat the observations with flatfield lamp
on, creating artificially high count-rates, allowing tests of NICMOS
linearity as function of count rate. We first take exposures with the
lamp off, then exposures with the lamp on, and repeat at the end with
lamp off. Finally, we continue with taking darks during occultation.
We will furthermore observe spectro-photometric standard P041C using
the G096, G141, and G206 grisms in NIC3, and repeat the lamp
off/on/off test to artificially create a high background.

WFPC2 11029

WFPC2 CYCLE 15 Intflat Linearity Check and Filter Rotation Anomaly
Monitor

Intflat observations will be taken to provide a linearity check: the
linearity test consists of a series of intflats in F555W, in each gain
and each shutter. A combination of intflats, visflats, and earthflats
will be used to check the repeatability of filter wheel motions.
{Intflat sequences tied to decons, visits 1-18 in prop 10363, have
been moved to the cycle 15 decon proposal xxxx for easier scheduling.}
Note: long-exposure WFPC2 intflats must be scheduled during ACS
anneals to prevent stray light from the WFPC2 lamps from contaminating
long ACS external exposures.

WFPC2 11028

WFPC2 Cycle 15 UV Earth Flats

Monitor flat field stability. This proposal obtains sequences of earth
streak flats to improve the quality of pipeline flat fields for the
WFPC2 UV filter set. These Earth flats will complement the UV earth
flat data obtained during cycles 8-14.

WFPC2 10841

A Proper Motion Search for Intermediate Mass Black Holes in Globular
Clusters {2nd Epoch Observations}

Establishing the presence or absence of intermediate-mass black holes
{IMBH} in globular clusters is crucial for understanding the evolution
of dense stellar systems. Observationally, this search has been
hampered by the low number of stars with known velocities in the
central few arcseconds. This limits our knowledge of the velocity
dispersion in the region where the gravitational influence of any IMBH
would be felt. In Cycle 13, we successfully obtained ACS/HRC images of
the centers of five carefully chosen Galactic globular clusters
{GO-10401} for a new proper motion study. Although the science case
was approved and the first epoch images obtained, the requested future
cycle observations were not granted {due to a general policy decision
based on the strong uncertainties at the time concerning the immediate
future of HST}. We have now assessed the quality of the first epoch
observations. The HRC resolution reveals many isolated stars in to the
very center of each cluster that remained blended or unresolved in
previous WFPC2 data. Given a two year baseline, we are confident that
we can achieve the proper motion precision required to place strict
limits on the presence of an IMBH. Therefore, we request the
second-epoch, follow-up observations to GO-10401 in order to measure
the proper motions of stars in our target clusters. These velocity
measurements will allow us to: {i} place constraints on the mass of a
central black hole in each cluster; {ii} derive the internal velocity
dispersion as a function of cluster radius; {iii} verify or reject
previous reports of cluster rotation; and {iv} directly measure
velocity anisotropy as a function of radius. If no second epoch data
are obtained then the observing time already invested in the first
epoch will have been wasted.

WFPC2 10787

Modes of Star Formation and Nuclear Activity in an Early Universe
Laboratory

Nearby compact galaxy groups are uniquely suited to exploring the
mechanisms of star formation amid repeated and ongoing gravitational
encounters, conditions similar to those of the high redshift universe.
These dense groups host a variety of modes of star formation, and they
enable fresh insights into the role of gas in galaxy evolution. With
Spitzer mid-IR observations in hand, we have begun to obtain high
quality, multi-wavelength data for a well- defined sample of 12 nearby
{4500km/s} compact groups covering the full range of evolutionary
stages. Here we propose to obtain sensitive BVI images with the
ACS/WFC, deep enough to reach the turnover of the globular cluster
luminosity function, and WFPC2 U-band and ACS H-alpha images of
Spitzer-identified regions hosting the most recent star formation. In
total, we expect to detect over 1000 young star clusters forming
inside and outside galaxies, more than 4000 old globular clusters in
40 giant galaxies {including 16 early-type galaxies}, over 20 tidal

features, approximately 15 AGNs, and intragroup gas in most of the 12
groups. Combining the proposed ACS images with Chandra observations,
UV GALEX observations, ground-based H-alpha imaging, and HI data, we
will conduct a detailed study of stellar nurseries, dust, gas
kinematics, and AGN.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS:

#10878 GSacq (1,2,1) failed to RGA control.

GSacq(1,2,1) scheduled at 184/15:52:25 failed during LOS due to
receiving a stop flag on FGS 2. OBAD1 at 15:47:26 showed errors of
V1=-19.30, V2=1449.10, V3=-565.83, RSS=1555.77. OBAD2 showed errors of
V1=13.76, V2=5.33, V3=2.58, RSS=14.98

#10879 GSacq(1,3,3) failed to RGA control.

GSacq(1,3,3) scheduled at 185/11:08:28 failed during LOS due to
receiving a stop flag on FGS 1. The map at 11:15:27 showed errors of
V1=-0.13, V2=3.33, V3=5.72, RSS=6.62.

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST: (None)

****************************** SCHEDULED SUCCESSFUL

OBAD with Maneuver************ 56************* 56

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS: (None)

Daily Report # 4346 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 April 23rd 07 02:25 PM
Daily Report #4333 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 April 4th 07 03:43 PM
Daily Report #4150 Lynn Bassford Hubble 0 July 8th 06 01:46 AM
Daily Report [email protected] Hubble 0 October 29th 04 04:59 PM
HST Daily Report 131 George Barbehenn Hubble 0 May 11th 04 02:48 PM