Comet Swan Observation Oct. 21, 2006

Old October 22nd 06, 02:53 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Stephen Paul

Default Comet Swan Observation Oct. 21, 2006

I went out to look at comet Swan 7:30 local time with my grab and go 6"
F5 newt using 24mm/68deg and 13mm/80deg eyepieces.

To put a magnitude limit on that area, I was able to see Mu-1 Boo (m4.3)
and Zeta-2 CrB (m4.6) naked eye without much problem. Dimmer than that,
there wasn't much in the way of naked eye stars in the area. I was thus
able with relative ease to aim the scope using the 6x30 finder at Mu-1
with both eyes open, and that put the comet easily within the 2.2 degree
field of the 24mm eyepiece.

I wasn't able to see a tail in the 24mm. A little bit of flaring was
visible with averted vision using the 13mm, but the brightest portion
was visible in both eyepieces as a round fuzzy with a bright dot in the
middle.

Definitely an easy comet for observers with a west/northwest LM of 5,
and it's positioned high enough to clear the treetops some 200 feet
distant at the time of this observation.

I'd be curious to know if others saw the tail, and what naked eye
magnitude stars were visible in the area at the time.

Stephen Paul
42.5N 71.5W
(GMT -5:00)

Old October 22nd 06, 09:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Willie R. Meghar

Stephen Paul wrote:

I'd be curious to know if others saw the tail, and what naked eye
magnitude stars were visible in the area at the time.

On the 14th I saw 1.2 degrees of tail using tripod-mounted 25x100
binoculars. On the 15th I saw no more than 1 degree of tail using
hand-held 20x80 binoculars. Limiting magnitude was 6.0 at the comet's
altitude (6.4 around Polaris, 6.5 for the zenith).

More recently I've had clouds, rain, and snow; but tonight *might* be
clear. If I get an opportunity I'll post an observation.

For what it's worth: SWAN's tail was faint to very faint, narrow, and
straight. IMO it would not have taken much of a decrease in sky
conditions to render the tail invisible -- all except for a short,
pointy elongation of the coma.

Willie R. Meghar
Observational Notes at:
http://meghar.blogspot.com/
Old October 23rd 06, 07:27 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gary Honis

Stephen and Willie,

Observed the comet that night as well with 25X100 binoculars from a dark sky
site. Nice view in the binos. Green color was apparent. The thin tail was
not visible to me but the little bit of flaring was. I imaged it the same
night with a modified Canon Rebel and posted an image and also a 1 hour 40
minute video he

http://ghonis2.ho8.com/102106cometswan.html

Gary Honis

. ..

Old October 24th 06, 01:05 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Dave Mitsky

That's another great image, Gary.

I happened to observe C/2006 M4 (SWAN) through a friend's 20" f/10
classical Cassegrain on Saturday night at magnifications ranging from
127x to 203x,

The coma appeared to be elongated and had a central condensation. It
seemed larger than when I saw it last through a large telescope, which
was the previous Sunday night through the 17" f/15 classical Cassegrain
at the ASH Naylor Observatory. I could see a pseudonucleus for the
first time. This was the best view of this comet that I've had so far.

Dave Mitsky

Gary Honis wrote:
Stephen and Willie,

Observed the comet that night as well with 25X100 binoculars from a dark sky
site. Nice view in the binos. Green color was apparent. The thin tail was
not visible to me but the little bit of flaring was. I imaged it the same
night with a modified Canon Rebel and posted an image and also a 1 hour 40
minute video he

http://ghonis2.ho8.com/102106cometswan.html

Gary Honis

Edit