Anybody Interested in a DIMM/Hartman Setup Details?

Old December 7th 04, 06:43 PM
matt

Default Anybody Interested in a DIMM/Hartman Setup Details?

Hello,

before I place my home DIMM setup on Astromart, I'd like to know if anybody
is interested in it in any way .

It's basically a SBIG parallel port camera with a DIMM windows based
software that measures and logs seeing data the same exact way the largest
professional observatories do. It works with a 2 hole Hartman mask on an
8-11" regular SCT, preferably Meade which the software controls directly .
The setup also allows direct measurement of optical quality through a
Hartman analysis software , using a different multiple hole Hartman mask .
It generates a 3-D wavefront distortion map with numeric values , much like
an interferometric report .
Before I break down the setup, if anybody has any questions , I'd be glad to
answer or document some details in the hope they might be useful for others
later.

I had this setup for less than a year and it was very useful for
getting clear measurements of seeing conditions and for several scopes
optical performance . I was able to measure spherical aberration in SCT
scopes for several imaging configurations with different imaging train
length and consequently different backfocus .

best regards,
matt tudor

Old December 7th 04, 06:58 PM

matt wrote:
[...]

Is there a prism in your DIMM setup? Reason I ask is that nearly every
DIMM
setup I've researched uses one on the Hartmann mask; see:
http://thadlabs.com/ASTRO/SEEING/REFERENCES.txt

Old December 7th 04, 07:16 PM
matt

wrote in message
.com...

matt wrote:
[...]

I used a wedge at some point in the past due to reading various references
but it didn't make a difference. If using a bright enough star a simple 2
hole mask seems enough in my view and here's why .
The software calculates the 2 Airy disk centroids differential motion . For
a C11 with a fl=2800mm, assuming each of the 2 Hartman holes of 2" diameter
for example, yields an Airy disk of 78 um in size , at perfect focus . The
telescope needs a significant amount of defocus before the Airy disk becomes
much larger , and that defocus is enough to separate the 2 Airy disks on the
ccd .

best regards,
matt tudor