TEC APO 160 costs $12,000 ??

Old October 16th 04, 12:58 AM
Jeff Marsh

Default TEC APO 160 costs $12,000 ??

TEC is taking orders for a 160 mm APO. But TEC's price structure is
now a bit odd:

APO 140 = $4,600 (F/7)
APO 160 = $12,000 (F/8)
APO 200 = $15,999 (F/9)

It takes an extra $7400 to go from 140mm to 160mm? Wow, that's a big
step for 20mm. And it seems that if you would spend that much for a
160 then you would go ahead and spend another $3,999 to get a 200
instead. Is that the idea?

But in a way it is an encouraging trend for high-end customers. Maybe
Yuri could make an APO 300 for, say, $18,000. : )

Jeff Marsh
(who wouldn't mind having an TEC140 someday...)
Old October 16th 04, 01:09 AM
Edward

"Jeff Marsh" wrote in message
m...
TEC is taking orders for a 160 mm APO. But TEC's price structure is
now a bit odd:

APO 140 = $4,600 (F/7)
APO 160 = $12,000 (F/8)
APO 200 = $15,999 (F/9)

From what I hear, the TEC 160 is now going to be an ultra high end scope
with a different set of specs. The scope was announced as $8000 originally
when it was to be an upscaled 140.

Regards,
Ed T.

Old October 16th 04, 01:51 AM
Ratboy99

From what I hear, the TEC 160 is now going to be an ultra high end scope
with a different set of specs. The scope was announced as $8000 originally
when it was to be an upscaled 140.

Regards,
Ed T.

I also somehow doubt (though I am not an insider by any means), that there will
be too many more 200's sold at only $15,999, either. I'd get it right now if
you are even remotely thinking about it.
rat
~( );

email: remove 'et' from .com(et) in above email address
Old October 16th 04, 02:04 AM
John Boudreau

"Jeff Marsh" wrote in message
m...
TEC is taking orders for a 160 mm APO. But TEC's price structure is
now a bit odd:

APO 140 = $4,600 (F/7)
APO 160 = $12,000 (F/8)
APO 200 = $15,999 (F/9)

It takes an extra $7400 to go from 140mm to 160mm? Wow, that's a big
step for 20mm. And it seems that if you would spend that much for a
160 then you would go ahead and spend another $3,999 to get a 200
instead. Is that the idea?

That's because the APO 160 will have a fluorite center element, not the
FPL-53 used in the APO 140 and most of the APO 200's. Originally, the APO
160 was to use FPL-53 and would have cost $8000.

Yuri announced this on the TEC Yahoo Group a few months ago.

John

Old October 16th 04, 03:01 AM
rander3127

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 00:09:27 GMT, "Edward" wrote:

"Jeff Marsh" wrote in message
om...
TEC is taking orders for a 160 mm APO. But TEC's price structure is
now a bit odd:

APO 140 = $4,600 (F/7)
APO 160 = $12,000 (F/8)
APO 200 = $15,999 (F/9)

From what I hear, the TEC 160 is now going to be an ultra high end scope
with a different set of specs. The scope was announced as $8000 originally
when it was to be an upscaled 140.

Regards,
Ed T.

That's what I like about apo makers. Every scope they bring out is
perfect, until they release the next one.

Old October 16th 04, 03:03 AM
rander3127

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 01:04:24 GMT, "John Boudreau"
wrote:

"Jeff Marsh" wrote in message
om...
TEC is taking orders for a 160 mm APO. But TEC's price structure is
now a bit odd:

APO 140 = $4,600 (F/7)
APO 160 = $12,000 (F/8)
APO 200 = $15,999 (F/9)

It takes an extra $7400 to go from 140mm to 160mm? Wow, that's a big
step for 20mm. And it seems that if you would spend that much for a
160 then you would go ahead and spend another $3,999 to get a 200
instead. Is that the idea?

That's because the APO 160 will have a fluorite center element, not the
FPL-53 used in the APO 140 and most of the APO 200's. Originally, the APO
160 was to use FPL-53 and would have cost $8000.

Yuri announced this on the TEC Yahoo Group a few months ago.

John

So does the extra $4000 account for the cost of the fluorite compared
to FPL-53 or is the fluorite that much harder to work?

Old October 16th 04, 03:43 AM
Ratboy99

That's because the APO 160 will have a fluorite center element, not the
FPL-53 used in the APO 140 and most of the APO 200's.

Well that makes sense. The APO 200 F8 (with Fluorite) is more like $24k, or is
it $28k now? All I know is I'm getting ready to take the 200 F9 out tonight.
Whoooweee!!
rat
~( );

email: remove 'et' from .com(et) in above email address
Old October 16th 04, 04:57 AM
Stephen Paul

"Ratboy99" wrote in message
That's because the APO 160 will have a fluorite center element, not the
FPL-53 used in the APO 140 and most of the APO 200's.

Well that makes sense. The APO 200 F8 (with Fluorite) is more like $24k,
or is
it $28k now? All I know is I'm getting ready to take the 200 F9 out
tonight.
Whoooweee!!

I'd be happy to get the C102 F5 out there... stupid rain.

Old October 16th 04, 05:22 AM
JJK

Ed T wrote?
From what I hear, the TEC 160 is now going to be an ultra high end scope
with a different set of specs. The scope was announced as $8000

originally
when it was to be an upscaled 140.

Ratboy99 wrote
I also somehow doubt (though I am not an insider by any means), that there

will
be too many more 200's sold at only $15,999, either. I'd get it right now

if
you are even remotely thinking about it.

Is the TEC 8" apo really worth it?

Old October 16th 04, 05:26 AM
John Boudreau

"rander3127" wrote in message

So does the extra $4000 account for the cost of the fluorite compared
to FPL-53 or is the fluorite that much harder to work?

Both. Mostly the cost of the fluorite itself, but there is also more work
involved.

I'm not sure, but I believe the crowns used to work with a fluorite element
are also somewhat more expensive than those typically used for FPL-53.

John.