Apollo IB SA-210 on the pad

Old August 28th 11, 10:01 PM posted to sci.space.history
Brian Reynolds

Default Apollo IB SA-210 on the pad

I haven't peeked in here for a while, but I thought there might still
be people here who would be interested in this.

Ctein is a photographer, writer, and fine art photography printer (one
of the last still making dye transfers). In 1975 he photographed the
Apollo Saturn IB SA-210 on the launch pad at night before its launch
as part of the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project.

Ctein is also a columnist for The Online Photographer. T.O.P. is a
photography blog run by Mike Johnston, former editor of Photo
Techniques magazine. Every once in a while T.O.P. runs a print sale.
For the next few days they will be offering digital prints of
"Apollo-Soyuz in Floodlights, Cape Canaveral, 1975" for sale, as well
as some of Ctein's landscape photography.

You can see the posting describing the print offering he

"Summer Print Offer: Ctein's Big Digital Print Sale"
http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2011/08/cteins-big-print-sale.html

http://preview.tinyurl.com/44nu3zh

The sale's page is he

"Ctein's and The Online Photographer's 2011 Print Sale"
http://ctein.com/TOP/2011_TOP_Print_Sale.html

And the T.O.P. post describing the technical effort required to take
the photo is he

"No One Cares How Hard You Worked"
http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2011/05/no-one-cares-how-hard-you-worked.html

http://preview.tinyurl.com/43lr39x

You can find more photos of both the Apollo era and Shuttle era at
Kennedy Space Center on Ctein's web page.

--
Brian Reynolds | "It's just like flying a spaceship.
| You push some buttons and see
http://www.panix.com/~reynolds/ | what happens." -- Zapp Brannigan
NAR# 54438 |
Old August 29th 11, 05:00 AM posted to sci.space.history
rwalker

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 01:45:46 +0000 (UTC), Snidely
wrote:

(Brian Reynolds) scribbled something like ...

I haven't peeked in here for a while, but I thought there might still
be people here who would be interested in this.

Ctein is a photographer, writer, and fine art photography printer (one
of the last still making dye transfers). In 1975 he photographed the
Apollo Saturn IB SA-210 on the launch pad at night before its launch
as part of the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project.

Ctein is also a columnist for The Online Photographer. T.O.P. is a
photography blog run by Mike Johnston, former editor of Photo
Techniques magazine.

Thanks for the links ... a beautiful shot, and an interesting web site!

/dps

I've seen similar shots, and I've always wondered how they got the
Saturn IB up on that scaffolding that it sits on. Likewise, I've
always wondered how they got the Saturn V off the crawler and and onto
the launch pad, or on to the crawler in the first place.
Old September 14th 11, 05:35 PM posted to sci.space.history

Thanks for posting. This was the last Apollo Saturn launch, and I was
there to witness it from the Titusville area.
To this date it is the only manned space launch that I have seen in
person.
Old September 15th 11, 03:24 AM posted to sci.space.history
Andre Lieven[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

The answer is simple. The rocket was built up atop the Mobile
Launch Platform, and so when it was fully stacked, the Crawler
only had to drive up *under* the MLP, and get connected to it.

Then, once the MLP and Crawler got to the pad, the Crawler
was disconnected from the MLP, and then the Crawler drove
away.

Andre
Old September 15th 11, 02:20 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley[_2_]

In article 9f128bdd-840d-45c7-8ab0-
, says...

wrote:
[...]

Inside the VAB are some really huge overhead cranes. The vehicles were
stacked inside the VAB with those cranes.

If you Google "VAB overhead crane" and click on "Images" on the left
side of the Google search page, you'll see lots of images which show
those cranes in operation. Most of the pictures near the top are of the
shuttle orbiter behing lifted into position, but one of them shows a
Saturn V first stage being lifted.

Lots of shots of Apollo 10 being "stacked" he

http://www.apollomissionphotos.com/i...0_vintage.html

Jeff
--
" Ares 1 is a prime example of the fact that NASA just can't get it
up anymore... and when they can, it doesn't stay up long. "
Old September 15th 11, 10:06 PM posted to sci.space.history
rwalker

wrote:
[...]

Makes absolute sense. Thanks.
Old September 17th 11, 11:00 PM posted to sci.space.history
Andre Lieven[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

You're welcome. There are some very good books out that
go into this in more detail. Bilstein's Stages To Saturn is very
good.

Andre
Old September 18th 11, 03:10 AM posted to sci.space.history
rwalker

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 15:00:32 -0700 (PDT), Andre Lieven
wrote:

Makes absolute sense. *Thanks.

You're welcome. There are some very good books out that
go into this in more detail. Bilstein's Stages To Saturn is very
good.

Andre

Thanks, I'll look into that.
Old September 18th 11, 09:02 PM posted to sci.space.history
GordonD

wrote:

Makes absolute sense. Thanks.

You're welcome. There are some very good books out that
go into this in more detail. Bilstein's Stages To Saturn is very
good.

Andre

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Also Moonport: A History of Apollo Launch Facilities and Operations. Both
available on-line:

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4206/sp4206.htm

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4204/cover.html
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland

"Slipped the surly bonds of Earth...to touch the face of God."