Sorry: I don't have a clue what happened. Deleting one at time.

Old December 24th 07, 10:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Ralph Hertle

Default Sorry: I don't have a clue what happened. Deleting one at time.

Peter:

Nearly simultaneously with the numerous corrupted files that were being
automatically created and posted, I was aware of the problem. I was
taking measures, for example, deleting files and turning off Windows
windows. After the computer locked up for lack of RAM, I rebooted the
machine. Eventually, I deleted the all the bad files.

It appears as if all the bad files have been deleted from my local
Mozilla Thunderbird and Outlook Express programs. I checked my Verizon
DSL email account and no bad files exist there either. Due to the
current account setup on the Verizon DSL server DSL automatically
deleted the email files as spam prior to my receiving them; and what
happened to the files beyond that, I don't know.

Whether the newsgroup files go through and get screened at Verizon I
don't know.

I'll run a Symantec full AV and registry scan, and I'll clear out the
bad temp files.

Then, hopefully, I'll be able to be sure the files posted will be ok.

Sorry for the troubles caused.

Ralph Hertle

Peter Hucker wrote:
On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 08:24:54 GMT, (Asterix)
wrote:

It appears that along with the drawing (a 646K TIFF file) you posted two
more TIFF files 64MB and 47MB in size (which I haven't looked at so I
don't really know if they *are* TIFFs). There may be more - I just
looked what came though Easynews' decoder.

Sorry - but deleting won't help very much as most news servers don't
honor cancels.

I opened the first of the two large files and saw a tiff of very high
resolution. I didn't see a small file.

Peter Hucker
Old December 24th 07, 10:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Ralph Hertle

Rick:

That's my lesson learned. Thanks.

Does a set of ethics rules and suggestions for posting exist for, A.B.P.A?
If not, why not edit your ideas and post them under the appropriate Subject?

I'll heed your concerns.

I had previously downloaded large TIFF files from NASA, etc., via the
web, and I now see that the TIFF files and large sizes are not useful
for the A.B.P.A server storage or for display.

JPEG files are mostly used for display on web sites. TIFF files,
however, can be made uncompressed at 24 or 32 bits per pixel, and are
most common for large full color raster image storage or for print
publications. If JPEG works, that is fine with me.

Thanks,

Ralph Hertle

Rick Johnson wrote:

NEVER POST TIF

If you just must a TIF available post it to the net then give us the URL.

[text omitted]
Old December 25th 07, 12:26 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Odysseus[_1_]

In article ,
Ralph Hertle wrote:

snip

JPEG files are mostly used for display on web sites. TIFF files,
however, can be made uncompressed at 24 or 32 bits per pixel, and are
most common for large full color raster image storage or for print
publications. If JPEG works, that is fine with me.

JPEG does cause some image degradation, depending on the
size-versus-quality choices made when saving the file. But there are
"lossless" compression methods, like LZW, RLE, and ZIP, whose archives
expand to a perfect copy of the original. These can be especially
effective on images that contain mostly flat colours without texture or
shading -- such as many diagrams and plots. In some cases they can
produce smaller files than even quite aggressive JPEG compression can,
without any of the artifacts or loss of legibility. The TIFF format
provides for these encodings, but not all viewers support them. At any
rate few browsers or news clients can do anything at all with TIFFs
other than download them to be viewed in another app.

Both the GIF and PNG image formats use lossless compression while being
quite Net-friendly (PNG, being newer, somewhat less so) and can achieve
remarkable reductions in the file size of non-photographic images
without sacrificing detail. GIF uses a colour palette no more than 8
bits deep; PNG supports 24-bit colour plus an eight-bit alpha
(transparency) channel. See if the software you're using to create
drawings can export in one of these; if not, there are many free
applications & utilities that can convert your TIFFs.

--
Odysseus
Old December 25th 07, 12:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

The TIFF files from my scope's shots are 45 megabytes in size, way too
big for posting. I post them in JPG format as 8 bit files are all that
can be seen on a computer monitor anyway. If someone wants to see the
TIFF, only happened once, I post it to a private web page and email them
the URL. Or you could make it public if you wish. Just that no one is
remotely interested in the TIFF. And it would take me all night to
upload it anyway.

No FAQ, most lurk before posting and pick up the idea of what's
appropriate -- that is, do as the other posters do. If thinking of
something different -- ask. Sometimes GIF for animations or PGN for
special cases. Many live in remote locations due to the nature of
astronomy and are limited in speed so large files are usually marked as
such. If posting photos available on other sites like NASA images just
use the URL. If posting a large movie then post it to a web page and
just post the URL he "Movie of gasses moving down the tail of Comet
Swan is at:
http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org/astrophotos/SWAN_10-28-06_0104UT_3X1_B3x3large.gif"
Note I even note the large nature of the file in the URL. Every now
and then someone drops off a zillion photos from the net we've all seen
and again hogs the server wiping out posts not available elsewhere on
the net. It creates a lot of ire.

I have accidently started to post a tiff instead of the JPG. When it
didn't stop when it should have I knew something was wrong and hit the
internet lock button on my firewall that's always in a corner of the
screen. It stops all internet activity instantly, no need to reboot.
The posting program then just stops, giving an error message that it
lost the internet. In this case it gave the name of the file it was
sending which showed me what I'd done. With no end of file signal the
server ignored it and it never showed. Whew!

Rick

Old December 25th 07, 05:55 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Skywise

It would appear Supernews blcoked both the original messages and
the cancels, probably caught by one of their kagillions of
filters. Probably thought it was a flood. (which it really was
if you think about it)

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old December 25th 07, 06:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Skywise

Peter Hucker wrote in news:0a60n39c1850v2br3h7dcevd6rprr9csl8
@4ax.com:

Get yourself a proper server. Mine keeps the last x days of posts,

Snipola

Each NSP has their own set of retention rules. Being a binaries
group, the most common rule is likely a byte cap. Text groups
usually have a message count cap. What that cap is depends on
their storage space and what they feel is important. Sometimes
they leave things at a (low) default until someone brings to
the admins attention that a particular group is popular and
needs more space.

What is the distance from your phone exchange to your house? They can
send it a long long way nowadays. It gets longer every year with new
technology.

Just as a point of reference, I tried getting DSL at my house
about two years ago. Didn't work. Too far. I was measured as
being 27K feet from the SO, nearly twice as far as the signal
could go.

Oh, and I live in that big mess on the left coast known as the
Los Angeles basin. The nearest "boonies" is 20 miles away from me.

Old December 25th 07, 06:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Skywise

Ralph Hertle wrote in news:47702EF0.6080103
@verizon.net:

Rick:

That's my lesson learned. Thanks.

Does a set of ethics rules and suggestions for posting exist for, A.B.P.A?

Specifically? There may be a FAQ on file somewhere. As there is
a control message on file for the group, some rules may be posted
in that message. That control message is on file here...

ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/control...tures.astro.gz

But there doesn't appear to be any rules listed nor info on
locating a FAQ.

So that leaves us with a general answer. I recommend reading the
following two articles...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

Old December 25th 07, 06:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message

Your huge post knocked 3 months of other folks real posts off my server.
Anything sent prior to your post was deleted as was nearly all but the
last couple hundred files of your post. The rest exceeded the allocated
disk space the server has for this group. Don't hog the server for
yourself and knocks others off.

My filters must be working correctly, because the only posts I saw from
that person was his apology.

George

Old December 25th 07, 08:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Ralph Hertle

George:

George wrote:
"Rick Johnson" wrote in message

Your huge post knocked 3 months of other folks real posts off my server.
Anything sent prior to your post was deleted as was nearly all but the
last couple hundred files of your post. The rest exceeded the allocated
disk space the server has for this group. Don't hog the server for
yourself and knocks others off.

My filters must be working correctly, because the only posts I saw from
that person was his apology.

That was my post that had the apology. Thank you.

Regarding Rick's server, I can offer no help. I can't understand the
type of problem.

I had earlier installed the program called DAP, or, Download Accelerator
Plus. Previously I have had good success with that program for
downloading, opening archives, and moving downloaded files to user
created folders. It is also faster than other methods and is easy to use.

Well, I've exhausted my mental means on the matter. I'll just get on
with the fun of seeing the stars and, A.B.P.A .

BTW:

I did some extra reading on the USENET and binary participants in the
USENET system. These are only some of the many possible sources for
additional information. The Usenet is a hugely complex system that
involves the history of the computer industry. I read, however, I need a
college course to understand it.

Thank you.

Ralph Hertle

Usenet --- From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

[excerpts quoted:]

"
One notable difference from a BBS or web forum is that there
is no central server, nor central system owner. Usenet is distributed
among a large, constantly changing conglomeration of servers which
store and forward messages to one another. These servers are
loosely connected in a variable mesh.[clarify] Individual users
usually read from and post messages to a local server operated by
their ISP, university or employer. The servers then exchange the
messages between one another, so that they are available to readers
beyond the original
"

"
The standard method of uploading binary content to Usenet is to
first archive the files into RAR archives (for large files usually in
20 MB or 50 MB parts) then create Parchive files. Parity files are
used to recreate missing data. This is needed often, as not every
part of the files reach a server. These are all then encoded into
yEnc and uploaded to the selected binary groups.
"

These are some miscellaneous readings that lead to a huge selection
of sources of information:

http://www.binaries4all.com/beginners/

General information.

http://www.usenetnewsgroup.net/

General information.

http://www.usenetbinaries.com/

That is a GUI software product for binary and text newsgroups.
Has many features. For local paying subscribers.
Limited file sizes except that they also have a web server for large
files.
Access all Usenet and Usenet binaries. Has thumbnails and videos.

My comment: Seeing that the program works with all possible news groups
in the Usenet the optional sophisticated GUI is the probable future for
the
Usenet, for binaries and for A.B.P.A .

Old December 25th 07, 08:40 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Ralph Hertle

Rick Johnson:

Thanks for your observations. I have yet to read your recent post, and
that is of interest.

I found this information regarding this same site.

That's where the a.b.p.a data are stored.

Ralph Hertle

.. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

From:
http://www.binaryfeeds.com/search.ph...pname&or der=