Can You identify this Rocket?

Old September 30th 11, 10:54 PM posted to sci.space.history
giantELF

Default Can You identify this Rocket?

Hello. I am trying to identify what kind of rocket this is:

http://public.iwork.com/document/?d=...&a=p1339670446

I am working on a school project and wish to find out more about this
vehicle. It is 1950s era -- I am guessing -- and was clipped from a
youtube video that shows it blowing up on the pad. Two subsequent
videos showed same model rocket leaving the pad only to explode a few
minutes into flight. And a third that rises 20 or so feet then falls
back onto itself on the pad.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Robert
Old September 30th 11, 11:08 PM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 1/10/2011 7:54 AM, giantELF wrote:
Hello. I am trying to identify what kind of rocket this is:

http://public.iwork.com/document/?d=...&a=p1339670446

I am working on a school project and wish to find out more about this
vehicle. It is 1950s era -- I am guessing -- and was clipped from a
youtube video that shows it blowing up on the pad. Two subsequent
videos showed same model rocket leaving the pad only to explode a few
minutes into flight. And a third that rises 20 or so feet then falls
back onto itself on the pad.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Robert

Looks like a first stage prototype of the Titan (either I or II). I'd
have to see the vids to be sure. If you can post the links, it would be
of great assistance.

Good luck with your school project.
Old October 2nd 11, 05:23 PM posted to sci.space.history
ed kyle

http://public.iwork.com/document/?d=...on.key&a=p1339....

I am working on a school project and wish to find out more about this
vehicle. *It is 1950s era *-- I am guessing -- and was clipped from a
youtube video that shows it blowing up on the pad. *Two subsequent
videos showed same model rocket leaving the pad only to explode a few
minutes into flight. *And a third that rises 20 or so feet then falls
back onto itself on the pad.

Any help is appreciated. *Thanks.

Robert

That is a Titan I. The image aspect ratio is "squished". This page
has what appears to be the same, or a similar, rocket displayed
correctly.
http://www.afspacemuseum.org/missiles/Titan/index.htm

- Ed Kyle
Old October 2nd 11, 05:35 PM posted to sci.space.history
ed kyle

On Oct 2, 11:23*am, Ed Kyle wrote:
On Sep 30, 4:54*pm, giantELF wrote:

Hello. *I am trying to identify what kind of rocket this is:

http://public.iwork.com/document/?d=...on.key&a=p1339...

I am working on a school project and wish to find out more about this
vehicle. *It is 1950s era *-- I am guessing -- and was clipped from a
youtube video that shows it blowing up on the pad. *Two subsequent
videos showed same model rocket leaving the pad only to explode a few
minutes into flight. *And a third that rises 20 or so feet then falls
back onto itself on the pad.

Any help is appreciated. *Thanks.

Robert

That is a Titan I. *The image aspect ratio is "squished". *This page
has what appears to be the same, or a similar, rocket displayed
correctly.http://www.afspacemuseum.org/missiles/Titan/index.htm

*- Ed Kyle

To be more specific, this would likely have been one of the first two
Titan I launches performed with a "live" second stage. These flights
- there were at least two in February 1960 (by Missiles B-7A and C-4)
- had an aerodynamic nose cone fairing in place of the eventual Mark
IV warhead type nose cone.

- Ed Kyle