NEED: Civilian/military space spending split over the years

Old December 6th 06, 11:19 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Jim Oberg[_1_]

Default NEED: Civilian/military space spending split over the years

Is there a net-accessibile table or chart that follows
the shifting split of US military and civilian space budgets
over the years, especially from the 1960s through 1990s?
I need the ratio and the changes in the ratio for a space
debate I'm engaged in -- will share results when done,
thanks!

Old December 6th 06, 11:45 PM posted to sci.space.history
David Spain

Won't the "black" programs be a problem? I don't think
those things are publicly itemized. Are you willing to
ignore those?

Dave
Old December 6th 06, 11:56 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Rusty

Jim Oberg wrote:
Is there a net-accessibile table or chart that follows
the shifting split of US military and civilian space budgets
over the years, especially from the 1960s through 1990s?
I need the ratio and the changes in the ratio for a space
debate I'm engaged in -- will share results when done,
thanks!

U.S. Space Spending - Civilian, Military and Commercial
Congressional Research Service - Library of Congress - 4/2003
Page 12 has a chart 1959-2007

http://usinfo.state.gov/usa/infousa/...e/programs.pdf

Rusty

Old December 7th 06, 12:21 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
David Spain

David Spain wrote:
Won't the "black" programs be a problem? I don't think
those things are publicly itemized. Are you willing to
ignore those?

Dave

From Rusty's reference to .pdf file:

[quote]
The National Aeronautics and Space
Administration (NASA) conducts the most
visible space activities. NASA requested
$15.0 billion for FY2003; Congress approved
$15.3 billion (adjusted for the 0.65% acrossthe-
board rescission, from which the shuttle
program was exempted). The FY2004 request
is $15.5 billion.

The Department of Defense (DOD) has
a less visible but equally substantial space
program. Tracking the DOD space budget is
extremely difficult since space is not identified
as a separate line item in the budget.
DOD sometimes releases only partial
information (omitting funding for classified
programs) or will suddenly release without
explanation new figures for prior years that
are quite different from what was previously
reported. The most recent figures from DOD
show a total (classified and unclassified) space
budget of $15.7 billion for FY2002, $18.4
billion for FY2003, and a FY2004 request of
$20.4 billion. DOD space issues include
management of programs to develop new
early warning and missile tracking satellites,
and management of military and intelligence
space activities generally.
[end quote]

Answers my question. On page 9 there's a chart
that shows one outpacing the other from 1961
till 1981 and then they cross, cross again
in 1991 and 1993, 1999, 2001, and then one
wildly diverges from the other in 2002 to 2008.
But since this report was prepared in April 2003,
presumably anything after 2002 is a projection?
And I'll be danged if I can tell from the chart
which is which. Was this supposed to be in color?

Reading the text in this paragraph would indicate
that the top line ending in '07 is DOD spending
and the bottom line is NASA spending. Therefore
according to the char NASA *slightly* exceeded DOD
from 1961 to 1981, during the 80's DOD exceeded NASA,
they meet briefly in the early 90's, then DOD exceeds NASA
again in late 90's and then really heads off in the 00's...

Dave
Old December 7th 06, 12:27 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Rusty

David Spain wrote:
David Spain wrote:
Won't the "black" programs be a problem? I don't think
those things are publicly itemized. Are you willing to
ignore those?

Dave

From Rusty's reference to .pdf file:

[quote]
The National Aeronautics and Space
Administration (NASA) conducts the most
visible space activities. NASA requested
$15.0 billion for FY2003; Congress approved
$15.3 billion (adjusted for the 0.65% acrossthe-
board rescission, from which the shuttle
program was exempted). The FY2004 request
is $15.5 billion.

But since this report was prepared in April 2003,
presumably anything after 2002 is a projection?
And I'll be danged if I can tell from the chart
which is which. Was this supposed to be in color?

The top line in the 1960's is NASA (~$ 5-billion). Notice how it drops
off
after the moon landing. The original chart must have been in color.

Rusty

Old December 7th 06, 12:40 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Derek Lyons

"Rusty" wrote:

The top line in the 1960's is NASA (~$ 5-billion). Notice how it drops
off after the moon landing. The original chart must have been in color.

Actually the curve begins to roll off right where it should, around
1965-67, by 1969 it is already well down from its peak.

Further proof however that the referenced line is NASA's is the
presence of the post Challenger peak and the Freedom/ISS 'hump'.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old December 7th 06, 02:10 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Jim Oberg wrote:

Is there a net-accessibile table or chart that follows
the shifting split of US military and civilian space budgets
over the years, especially from the 1960s through 1990s?
I need the ratio and the changes in the ratio for a space
debate I'm engaged in -- will share results when done,
thanks!

This page might be a step in the right direction:
http://www.afa.org/magazine/Dec2005/1205CBO.asp

Pat
Old December 7th 06, 04:15 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

David Spain wrote:

Therefore
according to the char NASA *slightly* exceeded DOD
from 1961 to 1981, during the 80's DOD exceeded NASA,
they meet briefly in the early 90's, then DOD exceeds NASA
again in late 90's and then really heads off in the 00's...

The stuff I found showed considerably raised year-to-year DOD space
budgets peaking around 2015:
http://www.afa.org/magazine/Dec2005/1205CBO.asp
At least that's how in looked in December of 2005.
In fact, the article states that DOD space budgets might _double_ within
five years.

Pat