How many more modules are to be added to ISS?

Old August 15th 04, 05:28 AM
bob haller

Default How many more modules are to be added to ISS?

How many and are they complete ready to fly?
HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Old August 15th 04, 11:54 AM
Chris Bennetts

bob haller wrote:
How many and are they complete ready to fly?

All of the remaining truss sections are at KSC and progressing towards
launch. Pressurised modules at KSC are Node 2 and the JEM. Node 3,
Columbus (I think), the centrifuge, and the JEM logistics module are yet
to arrive, possibly due to lack of room in the SSPF.

On the Russian side, the FGB backup exists, but has presumably been in
storage without any progress since about 1998. Beyond parts of the SPP
(the old design, not the current version), I would be very surprised if
any other Russian hardware exists at all.

--Chris

Old August 15th 04, 12:40 PM
bob haller

All of the remaining truss sections are at KSC and progressing towards
launch. Pressurised modules at KSC are Node 2 and the JEM. Node 3,
Columbus (I think), the centrifuge, and the JEM logistics module are yet
to arrive, possibly due to lack of room in the SSPF.

On the Russian side, the FGB backup exists, but has presumably been in
storage without any progress since about 1998. Beyond parts of the SPP
(the old design, not the current version), I would be very surprised if
any other Russian hardware exists at all.

--Chris

If we flew ONLY assemble module flights how many would there be?

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Old August 15th 04, 04:29 PM
David Anderman

I would imagine that some part of the Enterprise module exists, since
SpaceHab invested quite a bit in that project. Also, I would be amazed if
the "new" SPP systems weren't in existence, since that is mainly some sort
of mundane truss and some solar arrays. Based on the current Russian
configuration, I would imagine well over 50% of the required pieces of
modules were lying around in Moscow. Still, parts are a long ways from being
modules that are ready to fly.

DWA

Old August 15th 04, 04:57 PM
Andrew Gray

On 2004-08-15, bob haller wrote:

All of the remaining truss sections are at KSC and progressing towards
launch. Pressurised modules at KSC are Node 2 and the JEM. Node 3,
Columbus (I think), the centrifuge, and the JEM logistics module are yet
to arrive, possibly due to lack of room in the SSPF.

On the Russian side, the FGB backup exists, but has presumably been in
storage without any progress since about 1998. Beyond parts of the SPP
(the old design, not the current version), I would be very surprised if
any other Russian hardware exists at all.

--Chris

If we flew ONLY assemble module flights how many would there be?

This isn't hard to, you know, try to work out yourself.

http://www.sworld.com.au/steven/spac...e/manifest.txt

Discounting minor or secondary payloads (there's probably some minor
hardware flown on supply flights):

STS-115 (12A) has the P3/P4 truss segment
STS-xxx (12A.1) has the P5 truss segment (not yet manifested, it seems -
but would be STS-116?)
STS-117 (13A) has the S3/S4 truss segment
STS-118 (13A.1) has the S5 truss segment
STS-119 (15A) has the S6 truss segment
STS-120 (10A) has Node 2 - we're in 2007 by now, and US Core Complete?
STS-123 (1E) has Columbus; the first "barter flight".
STS-129 (1J/A) has Kibo, the Japanese module
STS-132 (9A.1) has VCC-RD1, which seems to be the Science Power Platform
and other Russian bits.
STS-134 (2J/A) has VCC-RD2, which is parts of the SPP... and finally...
STS-136 (14A) the Cupola, which I think makes International Core Complete.

So eleven, plus a couple of bits and pieces on other flights. Call it an
even dozen, maybe, out of the 24 manifested flights? I doubt you could
compress it further, although the fact that the SPP has about as much
chance of making it to the station as I do probably could shave a fight
off that number.

STS-125 (UF4) is nominally an "operations" flight, but does bring parts
of the arm equipment, which is external "infrastructure" hardware.
Incidentally, it also notes it's an EDO flight (of Atlantis) - I thought
the only EDO hardware was lost with Columbia? More to the point, is
there a specific reason for flying this particular ISS flight as EDO?
Paging Jorge... I'm curious now.

STS-137 is manifested, but has no listed payload or mission - just
"ISS-40", no LF or UF number. It may be sacrificial to the schedule if
things slip?

STS-130 (1J) isn't an assembly flight, but the US is likely bound to fly
it by international commitment with Japan even if cargo flights are
curtailed.

--
-Andrew Gray

Old August 15th 04, 05:06 PM
Andrew Gray

On 2004-08-15, Andrew Gray wrote:

So eleven, plus a couple of bits and pieces on other flights. Call it an
even dozen, maybe, out of the 24 manifested flights? I doubt you could
compress it further, although the fact that the SPP has about as much
chance of making it to the station as I do probably could shave a fight
off that number.

I missed STS-133 (UF7) which seems to be scheduled to take the
centrifuge, although it isn't noted as an assembly flight.

--
-Andrew Gray

ANN: New Version of Deepsky Software (DAS) Deepsky Astronomy Software Astronomy Misc 0 June 3rd 04 11:44 PM
ANN: New Version of Deepsky Software (DAS) Deepsky Astronomy Software Amateur Astronomy 0 June 3rd 04 11:43 PM
ICCD XX1700 Modules Ted G CCD Imaging 0 April 10th 04 07:07 AM
ISS Modules without Shuttle? Josh Gigantino Policy 10 November 27th 03 06:30 AM
Commercial ISS Modules? BenignVanilla Space Station 7 July 13th 03 03:33 PM