Neutronium is a super-fluid?

Old May 8th 11, 06:58 AM posted to sci.chem,sci.astro
Frisbieinstein

Default Neutronium is a super-fluid?

From a very unreliable source I heard that the neutronium in neutron
stars is super-fluid. Is that true?
Old May 8th 11, 07:11 AM posted to sci.chem,sci.astro
Androcles[_43_]

"Frisbieinstein" wrote in message
| From a very unreliable source I heard that the neutronium in neutron
| stars is super-fluid. Is that true?

Yes, the source you heard from is very unreliable.

Old May 8th 11, 05:11 PM posted to sci.chem,sci.astro
dlzc

Dear Frisbieinstein:

On May 7, 10:58*pm, Frisbieinstein wrote:
From a very unreliable source I heard that the neutronium
in neutron stars is super-fluid. *Is that true?

No, we believe we have seen emissions from an uneven surface... some
millimeters (or was it micrometers?) in height variation.

The core may be superfluid, but the surface is not. And since
neutronium cannot exist outside the gravitationally-provided pressure
of a neutron star, it cannot be tested on its own.

David A. Smith
Old May 8th 11, 07:21 PM posted to sci.chem,sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 08/05/2011 1:58 AM, Frisbieinstein wrote:
From a very unreliable source I heard that the neutronium in neutron
stars is super-fluid. Is that true?

Yes, that's the theory, that all particles inside the neutron star are
free to move around each other without friction. No one has been able to
test it yet, of course.

The theory behind it is that at this level, the electromagnetic
repulsion is miniscule, since the only major forces at work inside a
neutron star are the Strong Nuclear force and Gravity. Gravity has
overpowered all of the other forces except the Strong. Friction is an
effect of electromagnetism, and electromagnetism has been overpowered
once the star got past the white dwarf stage.

Yousuf Khan