Jupiter

Old April 18th 05, 10:17 AM
Ruth & Dave

Default Jupiter

Hi Folks
I need some advice re Jupiter and the cloud next to it. This is very basic
but---- I thought I was looking at Mars-- turns out I could see a couple of
stripes and it turns out to be Jupiter-- I think--!. What is the wispy cloud
formation to the left of Jupiter-- most impressive-- looks like smoke??
I am looking from Auckland NZ.
Perhaps as an ex Pom I have raised the IQ of both countries!
Regards Dave R

Old April 18th 05, 10:51 AM
Philippe Gautier

Ruth & Dave wrote:
Hi Folks
I need some advice re Jupiter and the cloud next to it. This is very basic
but---- I thought I was looking at Mars-- turns out I could see a couple of
stripes and it turns out to be Jupiter-- I think--!. What is the wispy cloud
formation to the left of Jupiter-- most impressive-- looks like smoke??
I am looking from Auckland NZ.
Perhaps as an ex Pom I have raised the IQ of both countries!
Regards Dave R

Hi,
Could it be that you are looking through a window? When I'm too lazy to
go outside and have a quick look through my (double glazed) windows at
low magnification, I always see a reflection that you could describe as
a small cloud formation on the side of a bright obeject....

Philippe
Old April 18th 05, 12:04 PM
Ruth & Dave

Hi a Philippe----- Thanks for that----- No I am looking through a 60 power
rifle spotting scope-- no window-- and the cloud -- smoke- was there two
nights running.
Looking at Saturn-- no smoke formation!!
Cannot get to the scope tonight-- Visiting lady in the scope room!!-- wife
in the other!!
Regards Dave R

Old April 18th 05, 12:10 PM
DH

Ruth & Dave wrote:

(sorry, my reply doesn't allow for HTML in the OP.)

I dont think there was anything anywhere near Jupiter that is well known as a
celestial object. The nearest is the Sombrero at 8.5 degrees away.

Internal reflections is my best guess too.... especially if you are not using an
astro type scope with good internal blackening.

Try looking at the moon and moving the scope around, Im pretty sure you will see
more wisps of smoke (reflections..)

--
Best Regards,

David Harris
Old April 18th 05, 12:25 PM
Ruth & Dave

Thanks Guys-- I will re post after trying some other objects
It sounds like an internal reflection then-- No wander I could not find
anything like it in astro photos eh eh!!
regards Dave R

--
Ruth & Dave
Tel:+64-09-2922112

Old April 18th 05, 02:01 PM
Martin Frey

"Ruth & Dave" wrote:

Hi Folks
I need some advice re Jupiter and the cloud next to it. This is very basic
but---- I thought I was looking at Mars-- turns out I could see a couple of
stripes and it turns out to be Jupiter-- I think--!. What is the wispy cloud
formation to the left of Jupiter-- most impressive-- looks like smoke??
I am looking from Auckland NZ.
Perhaps as an ex Pom I have raised the IQ of both countries!
Regards Dave R

Does Ruth smoke?

Cheers

Martin

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
Old April 19th 05, 08:43 AM
Ruth & Dave

Hi folks. Yes I am sorted.
I turned the telescope in its mount an lo and behold, the heavenly smoke has
gone over to the other side of Jupiter. Ruth does not smoke Martin but I
checked that out also. Thanks Philippe-- and Dave-- you were spot on.
regards Dave R