ASTRO: news from SBIG

Old July 1st 07, 03:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Default ASTRO: news from SBIG

http://www.sbig.com/sbwhtmls/announc...rowband_f2.htm

looks like a great move from them.

Old July 1st 07, 04:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Yep, and it reminds me that I wanted to get one of the 7nm Halpha filters...

Stefan

. net...

Old July 4th 07, 02:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Richard Crisp" wrote...

http://www.sbig.com/sbwhtmls/announc...rowband_f2.htm

looks like a great move from them.

Richard,

Thanks. I missed that one! I'll have to start saving my pennies!! The
equipment available just keeps getting better and better.

BTW: At NEAF the SBIG guys told me, that despite what the say
officially, my old AO-7 *will* work on the smaller chip STL cameras, (like
my 1301E) just not the 11k and 6303. I will need to have an adapter
machined, and they said that if the software didn't work they would re-write
CCDops so that it would. However, I still think I'll end up with an AO-L at
some point, perhaps using one of SBIG's new OAG's or their new 'artificial
star' technique. However, I already have a Lumicon giant OAG that might
work.

George N

Old July 4th 07, 04:22 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"George Normandin" wrote in message

"Richard Crisp" wrote...

http://www.sbig.com/sbwhtmls/announc...rowband_f2.htm

looks like a great move from them.

Richard,

Thanks. I missed that one! I'll have to start saving my pennies!! The
equipment available just keeps getting better and better.

BTW: At NEAF the SBIG guys told me, that despite what the say
officially, my old AO-7 *will* work on the smaller chip STL cameras, (like
my 1301E) just not the 11k and 6303. I will need to have an adapter
machined, and they said that if the software didn't work they would
re-write CCDops so that it would. However, I still think I'll end up with
an AO-L at some point, perhaps using one of SBIG's new OAG's or their new
'artificial star' technique. However, I already have a Lumicon giant OAG
that might work.

George N

That just underscores what I have been thinking for years which is that I
never believe the spin from SBIG, especially from that lawyer guy they have
for a mouthpiece. My operating assumption is that they just say whatever
happens to suit their business agenda of the day and that's the sole
criteria they use for making public statements. My opinion of course but
that's how I see it. As a result, I always try to figure out the "angle" of
their statements, because I think there always is one that isn't discussed.

Back on the subject though, it appears to me that whatever marriage of
convenience SBIG had with AstroDon may be out the window. According to
something AstroDon told me about three years ago, they fought him tooth and
nails when he first popped up on the filter scene and really tried very hard
to prevent his products from being successful. When Don told me this he was
complaining bitterly about it at that time; he was really ****ed off at them
too, that was my key takeaway from that conversation.

But market forces prevailed and he managed to overcome their resistance,
presumably due to a lack of viable competition at the time in my opinion.
But now it looks to me that he has some credible competition that just
happens to be the German Dealer for SBIG and it sure looks to me that
Goldman may be on his way out at SBIG. For example they don't even list his
50mm filters on their pricelist anymore, at least I couldn't find them (I
looked) today (July 3,2007) http://www.sbig.com/sbwhtmls/Pricelist_u.htm

I applaud that development because I think his filters are way overpriced
for the quality and performance delivered. I see nothing exceptional about
his filters other than the price: which is ridiculously expensive in my
opinion. I used a set for over two years so I have lots of experience using
them.

I say the buying public is the big winner the it has been prohibitively
expensive for many people to try emission line color imaging until now. But
now that Baader is establishing a new price point in the industry, it looks
no more expensive to do tricolor emission line imaging than RGB, or very
close to the same price. That's really a very positive development in my
opinion.

I'm sure glad I unloaded my set of AstroDon emission line filters before
this new price point was established. I wonder how much longer he will be
able to get top dollar for those filters and how much longer a person can
still unload their AD narrowbands and still get close to what they paid for
them.

Old July 4th 07, 05:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Richard Crisp" wrote

BTW: At NEAF the SBIG guys told me, that despite what the say
officially, my old AO-7 *will* work on the smaller chip STL cameras,
(like my 1301E) just not the 11k and 6303. I will need to have an adapter
machined, and they said that if the software didn't work they would
re-write CCDops so that it would.

Richard,

Just to clarify: Alan H and the other SBIG guys said that they thought
that CCDops already had the ability to operate an AO-7 attached to an STL
camera, but just in case it does not, they would be willing to add that
capability for me. I'm still not sure that is the way to go, but they
recommended it as being cheaper than selling the AO-7 (along with my old
ST-9) and buying an AO-L, and just as functional with a 1301E. I assumed
that SBIG's "AO-7 won't work on an STL" stance was taken because that is
correct for the two biggest chips. Also the AO-7 produces some sort of error
(rotation?) that only becomes appearent on really big chips. In any event:
I'm all for "cheap is best"! Since I already have an AO-7 and I can get a
friend to machine the adapter, I might as will try it.

SBIG also recommended keeping the ST-9E and using it as a seperate guide
camera rather than purchase of one of the guide heads. However that may be
too much heavy equipment for me to deal with since I have to set everything
up each time.

....That just underscores what I have been thinking for years which is

that I
never believe the spin from SBIG, especially from that lawyer guy they
have for a mouthpiece.

Lawyers at SBIG? I thought that FLI was the New York based camera maker!
FLI should be the ones with the lawyers - considering how many we have here
in New York!!

I say the buying public is the big winner the it has been prohibitively
expensive for many people to try emission line color imaging until now.
But now that Baader is establishing a new price point in the industry, it
looks no more expensive to do tricolor emission line imaging than RGB, or
very close to the same price. That's really a very positive development in
my opinion...........

I have two friends who have been big fans of Baader products of all types.
They've not found any defects in their produces, despite the substantially
lower prices. I've not tried their stuff myself, but I certainly would
consider buying from them. Let competition rule!!

Clear skies,

George Normandin

Old July 4th 07, 05:51 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

the us has half the lawyers in the world

california has half the lawyers in the us