Ia our sun groing old before its time

Old November 12th 03, 01:17 AM
Rojan Katar

Default Ia our sun groing old before its time

With the biggest solar flares in years one could ask himself if our sun is
groing older than it should be.

We all know that it will become a giant red but some sat in 4.5 billion
years and some say in only a few thousand.

If I only rely on my astronomy courses it shoud be 4.5 billion years.

Has someone got some more insight?

Thanks

Pete!

Old November 17th 03, 02:51 PM
Abdul Ahad

"Rojan Katar" wrote in message ...
With the biggest solar flares in years one could ask himself if our sun is
groing older than it should be.

.....and some say in only a few thousand....

Sounds like old wives tales to me. The Sun taking 4.5 billion years to
reach the red gaint stage agrees with my memory checks on the topic.
The solar flaring of recent times is an erratic phenomena which in
reality no one can properly explain. The Sun is a main sequence star
of extremely good stability in light and heat output, when majority of
stars we see out there have some degree of fluctuations. Whilst the
current flaring is somewhat over and above what we expect in the 11
year solar 'cycle', I would not get too alarmed as historically the
Sun has behaved in similar ways before. There is no *trend* to suggest
the Sun is about to go super nova!

Abdul Ahad
http://uk.geocities.com/aa_spaceagent/astronomy.html

Old November 17th 03, 07:43 PM
David Knisely

"Rojan Katar" wrote in message ...
With the biggest solar flares in years one could ask himself if our sun is
groing older than it should be.

We all know that it will become a giant red but some sat in 4.5 billion
years and some say in only a few thousand.

If I only rely on my astronomy courses it shoud be 4.5 billion years.

Has someone got some more insight?

Thanks

Pete!

These solar flares are small compared to some which also occur on
sun-like stars. These "superflares" are many times more violent,
although one model may indicate that these stars have very close
companions which alter their behavior. The sun is behaving pretty
much in a normal manner. Solar flares tend to be the most violent in
the period after sunspot maximum (which we are now in). The fact that
we have recorded the largest X-ray class flare in history isn't really
all that sigificant, as we have only been observing the sun's X-ray
output since the late 1970's.
As for the sun, in a few *billion* years, it will become a red
giant, although its energy output is very slowly increasing over time,
and that may make life on our planet difficult to impossible in only
about a billion years time. Clear skies to you.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 18-23, 2004, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Old November 19th 03, 07:21 AM
unk

In article ,
(Abdul Ahad) wrote:

[...]

Abdul...it is doubtful that you have a memory that goes back 45 years
let alone 4.5 billion years. When you consider that we've been in the
scientific age with respect to the sun for less than 400 years and
compare that to the textbook 'beliefs' about the age of the sun which is
supposed to be on the order of 4.5 b.y. then we see that we have this
fractional observational window of 400/4.5e9 which is 1 part in eleven
and a quarter million. Surely you have the uniformitarianist mindset to
think that this 1 part in eleven and a quarter million is absolutely
representative of the entire spectrum of its supposedly 4.5 billion year
history.

I fantasize about newgroups not being occupied by people like you who
are only able to regurgitate what the so-called (but never proven to be)
experts have declared.
BlueJay
for email replace the 'i' in ccrider w/a 'y'

Old November 19th 03, 10:41 AM
Abdul Ahad

I fantasize about newgroups not being occupied by people like you who
are only able to regurgitate what the so-called (but never proven to be)
experts have declared.

So you don't believe in going to school and learning about scientific
concepts from text books and teachers then? No, I haven't personally
been around for 4.5 billion years, but I have a mind that can look at
the universe, make logical deductions about other stars in similar and
dis-similar leagues as our own Sun, look at stars at different stages
of their evolution and life cycles, then *project* these observations
and thoughts into the past, present and future. My statements are
reasoned within limits of human capability.

Are you capable of any of these things I wonder? If you are able to
add comments that would be *useful* in some way to this group, then
please do so.

AA

Old November 22nd 03, 06:37 AM
george

Well, it was a rather dumb question to begin with really. Sol seems fine--it
predates you and will likely continue after you are gone.

om...