Hubble status

Old February 6th 15, 06:51 PM posted to sci.space.station
David Spain[_4_]

Default Hubble status

On Friday, February 6, 2015 at 6:23:41 AM UTC-5, Jeff Findley wrote:
Yes, a docking/grapple fixture was installed on the aft end. This could

be used for a servicing mission or a deorbit mission.

See below...

You don't want Hubble to come down uncontrolled like Skylab, especially with that big, heavy mirror which will surely survive reentry.

Yeah I had thought of that as well. Its 40" main mirror is of considerable heft and made of temp resistant glass. Hubble's equivalent to Skylab's lead-lined film vault. Quite capable of making a lasting impression somewhere, ahem. However there is another alternative (see below).

Until it can't do science anymore.

Which is a pretty broad and somewhat subjective definition.
I'm of the firm opinion that once the Webb comes on-line, Congress will have as much interest in Hubble as high schooler's have in last year's Homecoming Queen. Does that have anything to do with science? Come come. Were talking national space policy here! When has that *ever* had anything to do with science? ;-)

Estimates of the actual date depend on the details, like do we
anticipate a "make work" Orion/SLS mission to service it "one last
time"? I wouldn't rule that out, even though I've not read anything
about such a proposal in the "popular press".

There's some form of poetic justice at work here. An enormously expensive rocket is sent off on a one-way mission to trash an enormously expensive one-of-a-kind space instrument. Perhaps it's only mission? Would a single SLS mission EQUAL the cost of Hubble over its entire lifetime? Another "interesting question".

Ah so the alternative?

Sell it. Maybe SpaceX would be an interested buyer. Or another international consortia. Perhaps the ESA? In fact, I'd line up a buyer right now, while it is still operational. IF the buyer is SpaceX or someone who contracts SpaceX to service it or heck if SpaceX just gets there first (esp. if the latter), I recommend everyone on the Dragon-2 crew wear eyepatches and schedule the mission for arrival at Hubble on September 19th*! Aye, that'd be for certain, arrrh. I have me a little telescope here. Slightly used. Now who's down for a few quid to not 'ave it your way. Or to let's say, I dunna put it down on yer house eh? Arrrr.... 3P-}

Dave

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...e_a_Pirate_Day

Old February 6th 15, 08:16 PM posted to sci.space.station
David Spain[_4_]

On Friday, February 6, 2015 at 12:51:46 PM UTC-5, David Spain wrote:
On Friday, February 6, 2015 at 6:23:41 AM UTC-5, Jeff Findley wrote:
Yes, a docking/grapple fixture was installed on the aft end. This could

be used for a servicing mission or a deorbit mission.

See below...

You don't want Hubble to come down uncontrolled like Skylab, especially with that big, heavy mirror which will surely survive reentry.

Yeah I had thought of that as well. Its 40" main mirror is of considerable heft and made of temp resistant glass.

Ah crap: 2.4 meter ~7.9 feet ~94.5 inches*. I can't rely on my memory for anything anymore....

Dave

*http://hubblesite.org/hubble_discove...pe/about.shtml

Hubble status Brian Gaff[_2_] Space Station 0 February 6th 15 10:45 AM
Hubble status -- update 10/25 Ltown Amateur Astronomy 0 October 28th 08 11:56 PM
Hubble status? Ltown Amateur Astronomy 6 October 15th 08 10:24 PM
Hubble Space Telescope Status Report Klaatu Amateur Astronomy 0 June 28th 06 04:12 PM
Hubble Status Report - November 2004 Jacques van Oene News 0 November 29th 04 11:13 PM