Sound waves in space?

Old September 15th 03, 03:47 AM
Rusty Shackleford

Default Sound waves in space?

Ok, I have seen the Sci-Fi movies where there are sounds of explosions and
energy weapons blasting away and the humming drone of warp drives etc. etc.
but as we all know there are no sounds in space right? Well checking out
APOD I see a beautiful picture of the Perseus Cluster
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap030912.html with an explanation that
there are sound waves generated by a black hole of 57 octaves below B-flat,
above middle c. Is this an Aetherist interpretation of sound?
--
Rusty Shackleford

'What ever happens, happens necessarily'

Remove NOSPAM from E-mail address to reply.

Old September 15th 03, 04:27 AM
Jay Windley

"Rusty Shackleford" wrote in message
m...

| Is this an Aetherist interpretation of sound?

No. The black hole in question sits in a big gas cloud, which provides a
medium in which sound can propagate.

If a black hole farts in a cloud of gas, and no one is there to hear it,
does it make a sound? Yes! The alternating zones of compaction and
rarefaction -- which is how physicists define sound -- can be seen in the
photographs. Whether those waves are detected mechanically by a membrane or
optically by a telescope makes little difference.

Estimates of the density of the the material and the measurable wavelength
give us the frequency.

--

The universe is not required to conform | Jay Windley
to the expectations of the ignorant. | webmaster @ clavius.org

Old September 15th 03, 04:27 AM
Jay Windley

Old September 15th 03, 04:51 AM
Rusty Shackleford

"Jay Windley" wrote in message

"Rusty Shackleford" wrote in message
m...

| Is this an Aetherist interpretation of sound?

No. The black hole in question sits in a big gas cloud, which provides a
medium in which sound can propagate.

If a black hole farts in a cloud of gas, and no one is there to hear it,
does it make a sound? Yes! The alternating zones of compaction and
rarefaction -- which is how physicists define sound -- can be seen in the
photographs. Whether those waves are detected mechanically by a membrane

or
optically by a telescope makes little difference.

Estimates of the density of the the material and the measurable wavelength
give us the frequency.

--

The universe is not required to conform | Jay Windley
to the expectations of the ignorant. | webmaster @ clavius.org

Can you actually see in real-time the motion of this sound? Everything in
deep space always seems so stationary except maybe comet tails and a few
other items, However; 57 octaves below middle C is real slow as far as sound
waves go. Seeing this through a VLT you would think that you would see the
movement of the longitudinal wave in real time?

Old September 15th 03, 04:51 AM
Rusty Shackleford

Old September 15th 03, 05:06 AM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

"Rusty Shackleford" wrote in
m:

Ok, I have seen the Sci-Fi movies where there are sounds of explosions
and energy weapons blasting away and the humming drone of warp drives
etc. etc. but as we all know there are no sounds in space right? Well
checking out APOD I see a beautiful picture of the Perseus Cluster
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap030912.html with an explanation
that there are sound waves generated by a black hole of 57 octaves
below B-flat, above middle c. Is this an Aetherist interpretation of
sound? --

Sound is just a pressure wave. Normal everyday sound can't travel through
a medium once the gas density has gone below a certain value because the
molecules mean free path exceeds the wavelength of the sound. My guess is
that in this case the wavelngth is so long that it can be supported in an
extremely rarefied gas. The gaseous spiral arms of galaxies are also
thought to be pressure waves of a sort, so I guess they could be
considered to be "sound waves" too.

L.

Old September 15th 03, 04:09 PM
Jay Windley

"Rusty Shackleford" wrote in message
m...

| Can you actually see in real-time the motion of this sound?

I don't think so. The evidence that it's a sound wave seems to be the
geometry of the pattern itself.

Old September 15th 03, 04:09 PM
Jay Windley

Old September 15th 03, 05:01 PM
Bill Sheppard

Can you actually see in real-time the
motion of this sound?

I don't think so. The evidence that it's a
sound wave seems to be the geometry of the pattern itself.

Since there's no long-term observations to determine actual velocity of
the waves, the question remains open as to whether they're 'gravity
waves' propagating at c or sound waves in interstellar gas.

IF they are GWs, their chaotic pattern suggests a violent event in the
object's past. Possibly the merger of a binary BH pair and subsequent
ringdown to the now-quiescent state. oc

Anti-spam address: oldcoot88atwebtv.net
Change 'at' to@