Can I see these?

Old September 11th 03, 10:07 PM
jojo

Default Can I see these?

As a newbie to astronomy, I am searching the night sky.

I have a 4.5" reflector (Bushnell voyager)
4mm, 12,, and a 24mm, also a 3X barlow

I am currently concentrating my efforts on the big dipper.
I cannot view on a nightly basis, as I live in a light rich area so the
questions
I pose now are research till my next dark sky trip.

With my scope an lenses, can I hope to see some of the objects
in the area of the big dipper? M108? M81? M82?

Just trying to find out what to expect.

Thanks,
jo

Old September 11th 03, 10:55 PM
Starlord

With that scope you'll be lucky to see the moon. Please read the following:

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

"jojo" wrote in message
. ..
As a newbie to astronomy, I am searching the night sky.

I have a 4.5" reflector (Bushnell voyager)
4mm, 12,, and a 24mm, also a 3X barlow

I am currently concentrating my efforts on the big dipper.
I cannot view on a nightly basis, as I live in a light rich area so the
questions
I pose now are research till my next dark sky trip.

With my scope an lenses, can I hope to see some of the objects
in the area of the big dipper? M108? M81? M82?

Just trying to find out what to expect.

Thanks,
jo

---

Old September 12th 03, 04:16 AM
Bill Nunnelee

A 4.5-inch scope has enough light gathering power to see all of the Messier
Objects. M81 and M82 make a striking pair and can even be spotted in
binoculars. A dark sky will help though.

. ..

Old September 12th 03, 04:48 AM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

"jojo" wrote in news:Wt58b.199$L16.114
@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com:

As a newbie to astronomy, I am searching the night sky.

I have a 4.5" reflector (Bushnell voyager)
4mm, 12,, and a 24mm, also a 3X barlow

I am currently concentrating my efforts on the big dipper.
I cannot view on a nightly basis, as I live in a light rich area so the
questions
I pose now are research till my next dark sky trip.

With my scope an lenses, can I hope to see some of the objects
in the area of the big dipper? M108? M81? M82?

Just trying to find out what to expect.

Thanks,
jo

Don't even bother to try while the moon is full. Wait till the moon has
waned a bit.

Llanzlan.

Old September 12th 03, 01:50 PM
jojo

Hi,

Yes, I have actually read that FAQ, but the Bushnell is all I have to work
with right now.
With a new baby in the house, funds are more that limited and it was a gift
a few Christmas's
ago.

Honestly though, I think I got lucky. Although I have not had the
opportunity to look
through other scopes of comparable size as a comparison, I have been able to
see
wonderful detail of the moon. I was able (with patience) to distinguish the
polar cap
and the darker features on mars. It was comparable to some pictures I have
seen others post.
I have been able to distinguish Jupiter and 4 of it's satellites.

My biggest gripe about the scope is not the optics (although I know they
could be better) but the silly
finderscope. It is very poorly mounted and easily knocked out of alignment.
And the genius who put black
crosshairs in a finderscope designed for use in the black night sky was a
little off base. Also the rack and pinion
of the focus mount is stiff and jerky, making it very hard to focus higher
resolution.

But, there it is. As bad as it is it's better that the naked eye!

Thanks for the advice and link.

jojo

"Starlord" wrote in message
With that scope you'll be lucky to see the moon. Please read the

following:

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning
lingered: and along the path he once had followed, man would one day go
again."

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org