the moon

Old September 8th 03, 10:18 PM
Holly

Default the moon

Hey ya peeps glad i found this spot i liked to look at all the other
messages . I got some questions about the moon.
I got my telescope like 2 years ago i got it for christmas and at first i
was like oh wow a telescope whoope de doo .. and my dad set it up for me
and i looked at it like 2 times and that was it. So it was sitting in the
garage for 2 years and finaly with this mars thing going on i was hearing
it was closer to us than ever so i figured why not ? So i took out the
telescope and i figured out how to use it - its a meade and its a big white
one and its got one of them things that you can ,, the things that let you
make it move by itself with a remote control.
Im 15 by the way. So anyways,I found mars and really it wasnt that great i
mean i can tell its a planet its round but everyone was telling me that it
was red but it didnt look red to me,so no big deal there but guess what ?
I got hooked on the moon. I love looking at the moon and seeing all the
craters the only crappy par tis it hurts my eye after a while ..My freinds
like looking at the moon too.. so heres my questions. . You know how like
on the moon theres alot of craters of course,but there are also a lot of
dark areas that look flat. what are those ? Another thing is why does the
moon look bigger sometimes and other times it looks small ? I guess it must
come closer some times.
One more thing is im wondering why the moon is orange sometimes - im
guessing it has something to do like with the position of the sun.
Ok im going now if its nice tonite which it looks like it will be im going
to go out moon hunting.
If anyones got some tips for me,and i mean besides spelling and stuff,that
would be nice.
Oh yeah especialy if some1 can tell me how to finf saturn that would be
great.
Old September 8th 03, 11:04 PM
jojo

THE MOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what are those big flat areas? Those are liquid hydrogen oceans!!! Cool
huh??
I'm really glad you pulled your scope back out! It's nice to have another
fan of the moon to talk to.
Yes, the moon has an elliptical orbit, and swings quite close at times.
Scientists have calculated that in 2043 It will get close enough to be
dangerous. They are
still not 100% sure about their calculations though. Guess we will have to
wait and see.
Your question comes at a good time! Next week, the moon will begin it's
annual rotation and
you will be able to see the other side. (it is even cooler than this side)
About the pain. You might want to purchase a moon filter so that you have
less eye strain.
How powerful is your scope? Have you seen the American flag on the moon yet?
more later..

jo

"he who jests confesses"

Old September 8th 03, 11:47 PM
OG

"jojo" wrote in message

THE MOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what are those big flat areas? Those are liquid hydrogen oceans!!! Cool
huh??

jojo you're a very naughty boy.

Old September 9th 03, 03:44 AM
Holly

"jojo" wrote in
:

See i know your messin with me but thats OK because i am used to jokers.
I dint beleive that thing about liquid hydrogen oceans becuase everyone
knows theres no water on the moon for one thing ok what next ...
2043 might be true who knows the moon might crash into the earth some time.
And about the other side of the moon im not that dumb either becuase i know
that only 1 side of the moon ever faces the earth. But ok so you got a few
good laughs lol there ya go.
I probly know more about the moon than you actualy and about the flag no i
didnnt se eit but i saw a bunch of footprints .
I guess this gos to show me that if i want some answers about the moon go
to the library instead of asking some wise guys on the internet.
and about my telescope i bet its bigger than yours.

Old September 9th 03, 04:02 AM
Starlord

Wrong, the moon will NEVER crash into the Earth, it is very slowly moving
OUTWARD in it's orbit around the Earth.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

"Holly" wrote in message
"jojo" wrote in
:

"Holly" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old September 9th 03, 05:51 AM
J. Scott Miller

Okay, assuming this is straight and you are not just yanking our chains...

Holly wrote:
[...]

First, give Mars a bit of a chance. Viewing it takes a bit of patience. It is
not red, as you indicate, but appears reddish to the eye when looking at it
against the background star - concentrate orange light into a small point and
the sensitivity of the eye argues for a red color.

But, if your scope can get upwards to 100x or more, with some patience you will
be able to see dark features on its surface and the southern icecap. I have
been involved with public observations these last couple of weeks and have been
able to get those using my scope to see these things. They do not jump out and
say "Hi!". You will need to teach yourself how to look all over again, using
tricks like peripheral vision (not looking at it directly but perhaps just past
it so the more light-sensitive parts of your eye get a chance at it) and simply
waiting for the sky to stand still for a moment (it is in constant turbulent
motion, but every once in a while, things will sharpen).

So, if you are into instant gratification, Mars is not a good choice for
looking, but if you have the patience, it can be a bit satisfying. To help you
identify what might be in your scope at the moment you are looking at Mars
(assuming you go back to it), Sky and Telescope (http://www.skypub.com) has an
online program that lets you put in your date and time and it will recreate that
part of Mars facing you. At least it is a start.

I got hooked on the moon. I love looking at the moon and seeing all the
craters the only crappy par tis it hurts my eye after a while ..My freinds
like looking at the moon too.. so heres my questions. . You know how like
on the moon theres alot of craters of course,but there are also a lot of
dark areas that look flat. what are those ?

The dark areas are lava planes, much like the dark lava one sees when viewing
the active volcanos of Hawaii. They are referred to as mare (in the singular)
and maria collectively, a name that means "sea". One of those, visible in your
scope is the Sea of Tranquility, the general location of the first manned Moon
landing.

Another thing is why does the
moon look bigger sometimes and other times it looks small ? I guess it must
come closer some times.

This is really an optical illusion. To show this to be the case, look at the
Moon when it looks big (probably near the horizon) through a tube, like a paper
roll tube or toilet paper roll tube. Note how much room it takes up within the
opening. Then go out several hours later when the Moon is high in the sky and
do the same thing. I found this dramatically illustrated for me while shooting
photographs of the Moon during the last lunar eclipse and centering it within
the viewfinder of my camera for each shot.

One more thing is im wondering why the moon is orange sometimes - im
guessing it has something to do like with the position of the sun.

Actually, it is our air, and the effect is similar to that which causes an
orange/red sunset. Our air scatters out some wavelengths of light better than
others. In particular, blue gets scattered more than yellows and reds - the
reason we have blue skies during the day. Near the horizon, both the light from
both objects must pass through that much more air to get to our eyes, so that
even the yellow light begins to be scattered out.

There is another, rarer time when the Moon will appear reddish. That is during
a lunar eclipse. The next of those that you might catch, weather permitting in
in early November (8th/9th I believe, without references in front of me).

Ok im going now if its nice tonite which it looks like it will be im going
to go out moon hunting.
If anyones got some tips for me,and i mean besides spelling and stuff,that
would be nice.
Oh yeah especialy if some1 can tell me how to finf saturn that would be
great.

Saturn rises about 2 a.m. locally and is located among the stars of a
constellation called Gemini the Twins. If you would like help finding the
planets among the stars, at least the naked eye planets, you might visit a site
called Heaven's Above (http://www.heavens-above.com). After putting in your
country and city, it generates a collection of observational aids, from
satellite passes to planet locations to sky maps. The sky maps are interactive
- put in the date and time (based on a 24 hour clock rather than our more common
12 hours + 12 hours) and it creates a map. Use the black on white option to get
a printable one. If there are planets up at that time, it includes their
location in the sky.

And, another reference would be an article I post once a month on my
planetarium's web site (http://www.louisville.edu/planetarium). Click on the
"Current Sky" button and it will give you a summary of planet locations and
dates when the Moon will be passing near a planet so that the Moon can help you
locate them.

Good luck with your observing.

Old September 9th 03, 01:55 PM
jojo

Well, you have to admit, you did come off a bit "trollish".
I hope you enjoyed a bit of fun and hope I did not offend you!

To set the record straight (although I'm sure you will never trust a thing I
say now)
your right. the moon has no liquid, hydrogen or otherwise. You might find it
interesting
to know that scientists have recently begun to believe that they may have
discovered ice in
the depths of a crater. They are not sure yet.

No, the moon will never crash into earth. The moon looks closer at times
because of our atmosphere.
It acts as a magnifier. You will notice the moon always looks biggest when
it is closer to the horizon.
This is because you are looking through much more atmosphere to see it. Its
an optical illusion.

Your right of course, the moon never turns around for us. One of the
interesting things about
the far side is that it has very few "mare" (this is what the flat lava flow
areas are called) and is mostly
craters.
As far as flags and footprints, you did not see either. Not even the Hubble
space scope can see
these details on the moon.

I won't get into a ****ing contest about the size of my scope or how much
more you know than I do.
I hope you take my previous post in the light hearted and teasing manner it
was meant. I really meant no hurt
or offense.

I hope your skies are clear, your scope is big and your knowledge deep! I
would be happy to answer any
other questions you might have. I promise to be serious and no more teasing!

jojo

"Holly" wrote in message
"jojo" wrote in
:

Old September 9th 03, 02:31 PM
jojo

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/ice/ice_moon.html

the link about the ice.

"jojo" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

"Holly" wrote in message
"jojo" wrote in
:

Old September 9th 03, 05:23 PM
Todd

The moon seems to look bigger when it's closer to the horizon. This is an
optical illusion!