Cosmic Rays...Then and Now

Old September 8th 03, 06:29 PM
jojo

Default Cosmic Rays...Then and Now

I was watching a program the other night.....

Astronauts from early space missions were discussing a visual phenomenon.
They would see streaks of very bright light if they closed their eyes and
relaxed.
Later, scientists explained that the astronauts were seeing cosmic rays, and
showed
a microscopic view of an astronaughts helmet, with thousands of tiny
protrusions in the
helmet. The astronaut said, "wow, I wonder what would happen to me if I were
here
a really long time."

So, I was wondering. What does happen to an astronaut after a really long
time?
Are spacecraft and helmets better designed to protect from cosmic rays?
Although I say this program recently, it was not produced recently.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
jojo

Old September 13th 03, 10:21 AM
Painius

"jojo" wrote...
in message ...

[...]

'Lo jojo --

Good questions... one of the greatest barriers to long-term
space travel--such as going to Mars--is cosmic rays. These
are particle emissions, mostly high-energy protons, from
outer space. Many of them are even believed to come from
other galaxies.

A similar problem exists with the high-energy electrons and
protons that are periodically emitted from the Sun. Scientists
are working daily to provide more shielding for astronauts
when they are away from the protection of Earth's atmosphere.

And they are optimistic!...

http://skyandtelescope.com/news/curr...icle_903_1.asp

....this is an article about actual measurements of the cosmic
ray problem for human Mars explorers. It also has some other
interesting links.

hth

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
"Oh give me please the Universe keys
That unlock all those mysteries!"

"Oh give me please the Happiness keys
That ease the pain of biting fleas!"
Today you seize you need no keys,
That door is always open.

Paine Ellsworth

Old September 15th 03, 05:46 PM
jojo

Thanks for the link, a very interesting and informative article!!

jojo

"Painius" wrote in message
"jojo" wrote...
in message ...

Old September 15th 03, 05:46 PM
jojo

Thanks for the link, a very interesting and informative article!!

jojo

"Painius" wrote in message
"jojo" wrote...
in message ...