Crop Circles from BBC helicopter footage

Old May 16th 11, 03:55 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Lawrence13

Default Crop Circles from BBC helicopter footage

On May 16, 3:19*pm, Joe Egginton wrote:
On 16/05/2011 12:15, Martin Brown wrote:

I am generally fairly sceptical about most crop circles as so many have
been faked. But I happened to notice on the Doomsday programme on
Saturday night that one of their tracking aerial helicopter views of Old
Sarum, Wiltshire included by chance what looks to me like a genuine and
fairly complex crop circle at the bottom left corner of the frame.

The relevant part can be seen using BBC iPlayer at 54:15-54:24 into the
programme with best overall view at 54:19:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sj8fc/Domesday/

The crop circle looks to be new with sharply defined edges as compared
to the tractor lines which are also visible where it turned at the field
boundaries. It looks natural enough...

Regards,
Martin Brown

I've always been of the opinion that most crop circles are fake, the few
that are genuine are probably something to do with local strong magnetic
fields.

Joe Egginton
Wolverhampton
175m asl- Hide quoted text -

How are crops affected my magnetic fields?

Be handy for the farmers when harvesting just a couple of these and
job done http://www.magnet-services.co.uk/mac...omponents.html
Old May 16th 11, 05:46 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Joe Egginton

On 16/05/2011 15:42, Martin Brown wrote:
On 16/05/2011 15:19, Joe Egginton wrote:
On 16/05/2011 12:15, Martin Brown wrote:
I am generally fairly sceptical about most crop circles as so many have
been faked. But I happened to notice on the Doomsday programme on

[snip]
The crop circle looks to be new with sharply defined edges as compared
to the tractor lines which are also visible where it turned at the field
boundaries. It looks natural enough...

I've always been of the opinion that most crop circles are fake, the few
that are genuine are probably something to do with local strong magnetic
fields.

Have to be one heck of a magnetic field to do that to straw!

Spiral whirlwinds touching down might well be the explanation. It would
be really nice if someone saw one being created and videoed it.

Regards,
Martin Brown

http://tinyurl.com/3dxl2m9
Old May 16th 11, 07:11 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On May 16, 6:46*pm, Joe Egginton wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/3dxl2m9

The author admits that there has never been any evidence for circles
related to tornadoes or whirlwinds. Few remain stationary anyway. So
would leave an untidy linear design. A brief but exciting 20ft high
"twister" in a crop right outside our garden resulted in no visible
change on the ground despite considerable airborne debris. The vast
majority of circles are strangely localised to circles of hoaxers in
the west of England. Though I'd be fascinated to see exactly how they
manage a complex design.

Old May 17th 11, 12:37 AM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Zoolook

On 16/05/2011 12:15, Martin Brown wrote:
I am generally fairly sceptical about most crop circles as so many have
been faked. But I happened to notice on the Doomsday programme on
Saturday night that one of their tracking aerial helicopter views of Old
Sarum, Wiltshire included by chance what looks to me like a genuine and
fairly complex crop circle at the bottom left corner of the frame.

The relevant part can be seen using BBC iPlayer at 54:15-54:24 into the
programme with best overall view at 54:19:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sj8fc/Domesday/

The crop circle looks to be new with sharply defined edges as compared
to the tractor lines which are also visible where it turned at the field
boundaries. It looks natural enough...

Regards,
Martin Brown

With all the talk of Crop-circles, and some people linking them to
aliens and such... it might be worth mentioning there is a difference
between DOOMsday, and the subject of the program - DOMEsday!

--
A mad boxer shot a quick, gloved jab to the jaw of his dizzy opponent.
Old May 17th 11, 12:48 AM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Zoolook

On 16/05/2011 14:19, Androcles wrote:

This easter egg is a Tornado:
51°34'44.95"N
1°43'46.72"W

Looks like a steam train to me

--
Pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs.
Old May 17th 11, 01:21 AM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Androcles[_43_]

"Zoolook" wrote in message
| On 16/05/2011 14:19, Androcles wrote:
|
| This easter egg is a Tornado:
| 51°34'44.95"N
| 1°43'46.72"W
|
| Looks like a steam train to me

This one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF2Jgg1LpzU

Neat how it got caught in the aerial photograph for Google Earth, huh?

Old May 17th 11, 07:15 AM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On May 17, 2:21*am, Andrex muttered:

Neat how it got caught in the aerial photograph for Google Earth, huh?

Are we now blaming steam trains for crop circles? Has this particular
locomotive caused the strange (alien) markings on the nearby
roundabout? The egg shape is surely highly symbolic and offers the
chance of interpretation by even by the most foolish of ufologists?
Old May 17th 11, 09:16 AM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown

On 16/05/2011 13:20, Chris.B wrote:
On May 16, 1:15 pm, Martin
wrote:

The relevant part can be seen using BBC iPlayer at 54:15-54:24 into the
programme with best overall view at 54:19:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sj8fc/Domesday/

iPlayer is not available outside the UK.

Ah. I hadn't thought of that! Here are a couple of temporary links to my
original best frame grab from the program and a perspective corrected
one to better show the pattern (assuming right angled field boundaries).
It is circular and surprisingly complex inside.

If it was a hoax someone went to a lot of trouble making it.

http://www.nezumi.demon.co.uk/temp/cropc.jpg
http://www.nezumi.demon.co.uk/temp/cropc2.jpg

I may have to take them down if the Beeb objects but I think this
probably constitutes fair usage for the purposes of commentary.
Taken from BBC "Doomsday documentary" iPlayer framegrab at 54:19.

BTW can you (or any other volunteer) read Danish scientific papers?

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old May 17th 11, 09:29 AM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On May 17, 10:16*am, Martin Brown
wrote:

If it was a hoax someone went to a lot of trouble making it.

http://www.nezumi.demon.co.uk/temp/cropc.jpg

http://www.nezumi.demon.co.uk/temp/cropc2.jpg

Indeed! Thanks for the links.

BTW can you (or any other volunteer) read Danish scientific papers?

In what context? New or Old Danish?

Why not just use a free online translator and interpolate? OCR can
also be useful.
Old May 17th 11, 10:34 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown

Default Thiele's 1880 paper (was Crop Circles from BBC helicopter footage)

On 17/05/2011 09:29, Chris.B wrote:
On May 17, 10:16 am, Martin
wrote:

If it was a hoax someone went to a lot of trouble making it.

http://www.nezumi.demon.co.uk/temp/cropc.jpg

http://www.nezumi.demon.co.uk/temp/cropc2.jpg

Indeed! Thanks for the links.

BTW can you (or any other volunteer) read Danish scientific papers?

In what context? New or Old Danish?

Scientific paper 1880 publication date. I don't know.

I am afraid there is no money in it but there is the kudos of killing
one of the raving anti-Einstein nutters cherished Urban Legends about a
Danish astronomer called Thiele explaining Brownian motion stone dead.

So far we have established beyond reasonable doubt from a French
translation of his 1880 paper on least squares model fitting that he did
derive the Kalman filter but published only in Danish. It wasn't
rediscovered again until 1960 by Kalman & Bucy. It would be useful to
have someone check the rambling prose of the original Danish paper just
in case he actually did explain Brownian motion in it somewhere and the
paragraph was "lost in translation". It is highly unlikely though.

The original thread is in sci.astro and titled
"Antisemitic ramblings against Einstein"
(which is a pretty good description of some of the rants)

If you pick it up from msgid that
contains the links to the online version of the paper as an image scan.
I couldn't make it work so Jerry saved me a copy of the French
translation. The important question to answer is did he actually ever
mention the keywords "Brownian motion" in this 1880's paper?
And if so did he explain how and why the pollen moves?
(it certainly isn't in the French translation)

He also made novel contributions to 3 body theory that also went ignored
and unacknowledged because of his Danish only publications.

Why not just use a free online translator and interpolate? OCR can
also be useful.

I haven't been able to find a free online translator that would take in
Danish and give me English. In addition having to go through OCR first
would make it pretty hairy. I have to admit to some curiosity at how his
papers Danish title is actually much longer than the French!

I found the paper title in French (now have a full copy)
"Sur la Compensation de quelques Erreurs quasi-systematiques ar la
Methode des moinders Carres"
and it translates to
"On the compensation of some quasi-systematic errors by the method of
least squares"

The French title translation also speaks volumes about the rambling
nature of the guys prose style. The original Danish reads (excuse lost
accents)

"Om Anvendelse af mindste Kwadraters Methode i nogle Tilfaelde, hvor en
Kmoplikation af visse Slags uensartede tilfaeldige Fejlkilder giver
Fejlene en 'systematisk' Karacter."

It is rare to see any phrase where the French translation is not the
longest. A direct translation of the Danish title into English would be
handy.

It is largely thanks to a few of his fans in modern statistics groups
that this early work has come to light.

You can't help but feel sorry for this guy. He was several decades ahead
of his time in terms of the techniques he pioneered but didn't manage to
communicate them to anyone outside Denmark.

Regards,
Martin Brown