ESA Funding question

Old July 31st 03, 03:10 AM
Rand Simberg

Default ESA Funding question

On 31 Jul 2003 01:45:18 GMT, in a place far, far away, Jim Davis
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such
a way as to indicate that:

Derek Lyons wrote:

You are uninterested in having a discussion, rather your main
aim is to justify a bias, by lies, misleading statements,
evasions, and deliberate misunderstanding of basic English.

Where have you been the last few weeks, Derek? We've missed you. :-)

And notice, *I* didn't even rise to the bait this time.

Of course, I've got my blog to keep my juices pumping these days...

Old July 31st 03, 09:50 AM
C. Heise

I thought this is a moderated sci.space newsgroup.

Old August 1st 03, 03:35 AM
News Admin

"C. Heise" wrote ...
I thought this is a moderated sci.space newsgroup.

It is.

However it operates on a dual 'hand moderation' / 'white list' basis.

The original post
http://www.google.com/groups?selm=1c...g .google.com
was fair enough for a moderated group.

http://www.google.com/groups?selm=r9...vf%404 ax.com
was (IMO) OK, but inviting trouble. Most of the 30-odd posts following on from that should
probably (IMO) have been better off blocked as off-topic and conducive to a long and 'flamable'
thread.

However it is likely that most of the participants were white-listed, and while off-topic the posts
probably weren't such as to make it clear that the poster should be removed from the white list
(c.f. "Personal attacks, abusive content, or material that is inflammatory or
otherwise inappropriate for example, may result in an approved
poster being removed from the whitelist." )

Unfortunately s.p.moderated hasn't exactly flourished - despite plenty of events in other space
groups that would suggest it's needed. People would (apparently) rather have their post seen
in 5 minutes on an un-moderated group irregardless* of what rubbish is also posted alongside
it than wait for it to filter through the moderation system.

* I say 'Hah!' to you. Mr. Standard English. :-P

Old August 1st 03, 09:50 AM
Paul Blay

"News Admin" wrote in message ...

*ahem*

"Paul Blay" wrote in message ...

Thank-you-very-much.

Somewhere between my computer (going out) and arrival in newsgroup my identification went "bye-bye".

"C. Heise" wrote ...