Satellite tracking programs

Old September 13th 03, 03:58 PM
John Penta

Default Satellite tracking programs

For WinXP.

Recommendations on programs to track said things?

Old September 13th 03, 06:30 PM
Allen Thomson

John Penta wrote

For WinXP.

Recommendations on programs to track said things?

There are many; see

http://satobs.org/orbsoft.html
http://www.celestrak.com/software/sa...sat-trak.shtml

A lot of these are free/share/cheapware, so I'd suggest you
try a few and see what suits you. STSPlus, SkyMap and SatSpy
are popular graphics-oriented programs that, AFAIK, run under XP
although their roots go back years.

Quicksat is a text-based one used by many serious amateurs.

Note that a number of general-purpose commercial astronomy programs
like Starry Night and Project Pluto now incorporate satellite
tracking capability.

Old September 16th 03, 04:49 AM
tad danley

John Penta wrote:
For WinXP.

Recommendations on programs to track said things?

Nova and SatPC32 are available from the Radio Amateur Satellite
Corporation at http://www.amsat.org

--
* Do NOT use Reply *

Reply to K3TD via contesting dot com

Tad, K3TD

Old September 27th 03, 08:14 PM
David Findlay

A lot of these are free/share/cheapware, so I'd suggest you
try a few and see what suits you. STSPlus, SkyMap and SatSpy
are popular graphics-oriented programs that, AFAIK, run under XP
although their roots go back years.

I used to love STSPlus, but it doesn't seem to be maintained anymore.
Thanks,

David

Old October 11th 03, 04:24 PM
G.Beat

"David Findlay" wrote in message
. au...
A lot of these are free/share/cheapware, so I'd suggest you
try a few and see what suits you. STSPlus, SkyMap and SatSpy
are popular graphics-oriented programs that, AFAIK, run under XP
although their roots go back years.

I used to love STSPlus, but it doesn't seem to be maintained anymore.
Thanks,

David

David Ransom, author of the program, is retired. He has had recent health
problems.
Here is his latest note - July 4, 2003:

"Thanks for all the inquiries! Vicki and I are in the process of moving from
Sedona, Arizona, back to Pacific Palisades in Southern California.
That should all be completed by the end of July, a major project of course.
My health has been causing some concern but we'll muddle through.

Meanwhile, David Cottle is keeping the TLEs up to date. Thanks,

David!

David H. Ransom, Jr.
1492 Paseo de Oro
Pacific Palisades, CA 90272 USA