Focusing systems on telescopes?

Old September 1st 03, 05:22 PM
Chris Cooper

Default Focusing systems on telescopes?

I have a new toy, a Meade ETX-70AT. Very cool. It seems like it has some
relatively decent optics, the little computer control handset has a really
bad user interface (I'm sure I'll get used to it), the one thing that seems
kind of clunky is the focusing.

It's just got a little knurled knob that you have to turn (and turn and turn
and turn) and sometimes, depending on where the scope is pointing, the knob
is in the small area between the scope and the base and it's not especially
easy to get to.

Are there other scopes with different/better focusing systems?

Thanks!
Chris

Old September 1st 03, 05:34 PM
Roger Hamlett

"Chris Cooper" wrote in message
I have a new toy, a Meade ETX-70AT. Very cool. It seems like it has some
relatively decent optics, the little computer control handset has a really
bad user interface (I'm sure I'll get used to it), the one thing that

seems
kind of clunky is the focusing.

It's just got a little knurled knob that you have to turn (and turn and

turn
and turn) and sometimes, depending on where the scope is pointing, the

knob
is in the small area between the scope and the base and it's not

especially
easy to get to.

Are there other scopes with different/better focusing systems?

Yes.
However they cost a lot more...
One 'accessory', which is cheap, and works well for the ETX focussers, is
the spring extension available from Scopetronics. This is a flexible spring,
with an attachment to replace the focusser knob, so that you can have the
actual focussing knob away from the scope (and avoid vibration when you
touch it), and still get at it when the scope is pointing higher in the sky.
Look at:
http://www.scopetronics.com/

Select the 'ETX60/70' page, and go down it till you find the 'Flexi-focus'.
It really does work very well.

Best Wishes

Old September 2nd 03, 05:03 AM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

"Chris Cooper" wrote in
:

I have a new toy, a Meade ETX-70AT. Very cool. It seems like it has
some relatively decent optics, the little computer control handset has
a really bad user interface (I'm sure I'll get used to it), the one
thing that seems kind of clunky is the focusing.

It's just got a little knurled knob that you have to turn (and turn
and turn and turn) and sometimes, depending on where the scope is
pointing, the knob is in the small area between the scope and the base
and it's not especially easy to get to.

Are there other scopes with different/better focusing systems?

Thanks!
Chris

There are focusers out there that cost much more than your entire scope.
Not really applicable to your scope but top of the line focusers come
from Van Slyke Engineering and Starlight Instruments (Feathertouch
focusers). JMI also make focusers for various scopes at more moderate
prices.

Llanzlan

http://www.observatory.org/vsengr.htm
Old September 2nd 03, 07:07 AM
Bob Weber

There are flexible extensions that you can use on your ETX focusing
problems. There are commercial ones at http://www.scopetronix.com/ and
other sites or try one guys solution of taping a flexible drinking straw to
the knob.

Bob

"Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th" wrote in message
7.6...
"Chris Cooper" wrote in
: