[OT] Navy releases photos of U.S.S. San Francisco

Old January 31st 05, 10:49 AM
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

...Actually, he has anchor and chain tattooed on his...no, wait. I
won't stoop that low :-P

Anchor? I would have thought a _ball_ and...oh, I see... tattoos like
that are just plain nuts. ;-)

Pat
Old January 31st 05, 11:12 AM
Pat Flannery

Reed Snellenberger wrote:

On the other hand, do we really want to be able to see all of the
ball-eyed kelp monsters that Irwin Allen predicted? Bad enough to see
them during the initial run...

That's the one everybody remembers, isn't it? It was also on the
Viewmaster reels of VTTBOTS.
Seriously, the Navy looked into blue-green lasers to allow submarines to
communicate with satellites while at moderate depths.

Pat
Old January 31st 05, 02:41 PM
stmx3

OM wrote:
On 27 Jan 2005 20:42:01 -0800, "stmx3" wrote:

Can you tell me what your reference is for this confirmation? I

have
3rd hand knowledge to the contrary and I'd like to set them

straight.

...Official statements have been made and carried on the news
services, including the one currently running on CNN. I've also heard
from an old NROTC buddy who's keeping up with this one whose own
sources match what's being reported in the news services.

...Now, your turn. What's your source to the contrary, and what's
being said?

OM

My source is a Navy contractor who heard from a civil servant
researcher (PhD type) who heard from a senior officer with intimate
knowledge of the case that, although the seamount didn't appear on the
original chart, a pen&ink change was made to the chart to indicate the
presence of the mountain and highlighted. The ship's projected track
took them within a mile of the seamount.

I'm not vouching for any of this info...but that was my source and
that's what he said. However, I would still like to see something
officially Naval that says there was no hazard on the charts or in the
Notice to Mariners. A.P. doesn't cut it when I'm arguing with my
source.

-stmx3

Old January 31st 05, 02:51 PM
OM

On 31 Jan 2005 06:41:41 -0800, "stmx3" wrote:

My source is a Navy contractor who heard from a civil servant
researcher (PhD type) who heard from a senior officer with intimate
knowledge of the case that, although the seamount didn't appear on the
original chart, a pen&ink change was made to the chart to indicate the
presence of the mountain and highlighted. The ship's projected track
took them within a mile of the seamount.

....My old NROTC buddy had heard this one as well, and his source
denies this report, noting also that some more recent Russian charts
failed to note the seamount as well. However, he did note that from
his experience working in Washington, when **** hits the fan and a
civil servant is involved, it's pretty much a guarantee that at least
two or three major facts will get twisted, and one to three "facts"
will get inserted that are about as valid as 2+2=5, but are made to
sound valid only to score ego/brownie points for the civil flunkey.

I'm not vouching for any of this info...but that was my source and
that's what he said. However, I would still like to see something
officially Naval that says there was no hazard on the charts or in the
Notice to Mariners. A.P. doesn't cut it when I'm arguing with my
source.

....Agreed. I tend to only use AP as a source when giving a general
report of an event, and cite AP as the source in a sort of "here's the
grain of salt, toss over shoulders as you see fit." In this case, my
source corroborated AP's statements, and so far nobody official at the
Pentagon has denied the map update situation and/or the Skipper's
current status.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old January 31st 05, 02:56 PM
OM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 04:49:22 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Anchor? I would have thought a _ball_ and...oh, I see... tattoos like
that are just plain nuts. ;-)

....Plain? Where do you think he tattooed the crank?

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old January 31st 05, 02:58 PM
Neil Gerace

"Christopher M. Jones" wrote in message

It does
seem odd, though, an undersea mount definitely falls into the
class of things you'd think they could spot from a mile away.

At least they should have charts that can be trusted. A mountain (if that's
what it was) is not ordinarily something that's not there one day and then
there the next, like a (Japanese fishing) boat.

Those boats are also pretty danged manouverable, it's hard to
see how this sort of thing could have happened.

I bet it can't stop in its own length from its top speed, like an iron ore
train can

Old January 31st 05, 03:00 PM
Neil Gerace

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message

Next time you are at the beach, try and look a mile away through the
water. Then ponder the lack of windows on a submarine.

You don't need windows to "see".

Hmm... No way to see outside, and the bottom of the ocean is..
'poorly mapped'.

Why travel in an area that's poorly mapped? In time of war one may have to,
but right now? Why is a seamount only 500 feet below the surface not on
these maps?

Old January 31st 05, 03:09 PM
stmx3

Pat Flannery wrote:
snip

Do you know if the section around the sonar sphere is a free-flood

area,
or is it just kept full of water or oil for sound conductivity from

the
sonar gear to the outer water? I can't see it being a free-flood

area
as aquatic organisms would get in there and foul the sonar gear (I

can't
picture a hydrophone working well with a barnacle attached to it).

Pat

Typically the bow dome is filled with freshwater. It's not a free
flood area, but it does have water in it.

-stmx3

Old January 31st 05, 03:22 PM
OM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 04:44:23 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

OM wrote:

...Well, guess that *really* makes the Seaview a technical
impossibility :-(

Of course she had her bow floodlight.

....On a side note, one of the interesting things that were discovered
not that long ago was proof that a certain rumor about the Seaview's
design was in fact true. Pre-production on the movie started in 1960,
and Jack Martin Smith, 20th Century Fox's supervising art director,
was assigned by the studio to manage both set and minature design.
Working with LB Abbott and Hermann Blumenthal, it was decided that
since VTTBTS was to be a Sci-Fi film based in Science Fact, the
Seaview's design had to be believable yet acceptably beyond the state
of the art. Originally, the concept called for this:

http://www.vttbots.com/Graphics/scan0004.jpg

....However, as Irwin Allen got involved, the observation bubble behind
the sail got moved to the bow, which in turn got turned into a series
of windows when the bubble was axed in favor of a set design that
would have more easily facilitated the rear-screen projection of what
was outside the Seaview. So, the conical shape of the bow was changed
to something more angular, almost shovel-shaped in a way. This design
called for 12 windows, but was later cut to eight for two reasons:

1) 8 windows were cheaper than 12 WRT the set design for reasons only
a beancounter would get his panties wet over.

2) The outside of the bow was about to get another design change.

....It was decided to modify the basic Polaris design to something more
futuristic, and yet something more visibly suitable for a deep-sea
environment. Using a manta ray for inspiration, side fins were added
to the Seaview's bow, which required the dropping of two windows on
the port and starboard sides. However, only one sketch has ever been
leaked out of what the "shovel nose' Seaview looked like, which had a
lot of "Voyage" researchers wondering if it were a myth.

....Over the years, the Seaview model has landed somewhat halfway
intact into the hands of a couple of collectors. The entire manta head
was cut off so the Seaview could be raped into the Nautilus for
Irwin's "Captain Nemo" three episode series in the 70's, but has since
been reunited with the body and somewhat restored. During the
restoration, it was discovered that after years of water damage, the
paint and putty had flaked off enough on both sides to reveal not only
where the manta fins had been added on, but the other 4 windows that
had been covered up. Sure enough, the "shovel nose" design had been
completed before the "manta ray nose" was finally built up, and they
even found paint *under* the fins, proving that the model had been
finished with 12 windows.

....On a totally off the wall note, check these out:

http://www.mil.ufl.edu/subjugator/design.html

http://www.vttbots.com/ted_koch_cutaway.html

http://www.vttbots.com/nifty_model.html

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old January 31st 05, 04:24 PM
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

Originally, the concept called for this:

http://www.vttbots.com/Graphics/scan0004.jpg

A Skipjack with a piano bar?! What comes out of the missile hatches?
Tiki torches and fake palm trees?

...On a totally off the wall note, check these out:

http://www.mil.ufl.edu/subjugator/design.html

http://www.vttbots.com/ted_koch_cutaway.html

http://www.vttbots.com/nifty_model.html

Some really nice model work (although I don't understand what they are
getting at with the Flying Sub)
But the model with the detailed bow innards needs two things added:
1.) If you shake the model, the instrument panels should explode into
flames.
2.) A tiny figure of Barbara Eden gyrating her hips.
Look in the bow window, and you should see this:
http://members.tgforum.com/corafmnoi...rces/eden2.jpg

Pat