IC5146 Cocoon Nebula

Old September 18th 04, 08:43 PM
Dennis Persyk

Default IC5146 Cocoon Nebula

I imaged IC5146, the Cocoon Nebula for 72 minutes.

The Cocoon Nebula is often referred to as a "stellar nursery", as it
is the birthplace of forming stars.

This nebula contains all three of the major types of nebulosity:
emission, reflection, and absorption. The red color is due to
recombination of hydrogen ions. The blue color arises from the
reflection of blue light from the central star. The dark' obscuring
lines are dust lanes, rivers of dust that block the light from getting
out, and are the absorption regions of the nebula.

I actually saw a hint of the nebula through the eyepiece of the scope.
An eyepiece view is included on my New Images page link below.

The image is an RGB of 24 minutes per component, each component a sum
of 4-minute unguided frames. The scope is a Takahashi E160 f/3.3
astrograph, mount a AP1200GTO, and camera an MX716. Please take a
look.

Images at
http://home.att.net/~dpersyk/new.htm

Thank you for visiting my site.

Clear skies,

Dennis Persyk
Igloo Observatory Home Page http://dpersyk.home.att.net
Hampshire, IL
Old September 19th 04, 03:35 AM
Lloyd Bentsen

Excellent. I tried to capture the same object last weekend. Had clouds cover
the sky before I could finish. Nevertheless, I tried to process just the
half hour of exposure. Very disappointing.. My compliments to a great
looking outcome. I am inspired to try again!

Lloyd
"Dennis Persyk" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Outer Space/NASA Pictures . Space Station 0 September 8th 03 04:03 PM
Outer Space Pictures . Space Station 0 September 8th 03 03:51 PM
Whats in the sky today [email protected] Amateur Astronomy 3 July 14th 03 04:24 AM
Soho Nasa Pictures SpaceTraveler Solar 0 June 27th 03 06:52 PM