Reading suggestions - History of Astronomy?

Old July 22nd 03, 10:18 AM
Tony Flanders

Default Reading suggestions - History of Astronomy?

Anyone have a favorite book on
the history of astronomy they would like to recommend?

Brian Tung responded:

Sure. Michael Hoskin, Cambridge Illustrated History of Astronomy.

I second that recommendation! As far as I know, it is the best
overall history of astronomy currently in print in English, and
as the title indicates, it is lavishly (and intelligently)
illustrated.

- Tony Flanders
Old July 22nd 03, 05:08 PM
Russell Martin

(Jeff Marsh) wrote in message om...
Here are three recommendations, none of which are general histories of
astronomy but would be of interest to amateur astronomers and
telescope lovers. BUT checking with amazon.com it is disappointing to
see that all three are now out of print. Amazon says they may be
available used and perhaps libraries may have them.

1. "The Astronomical Scrapbook", by Joseph Ashbrook, a former editor
of Sky and Telescope. A collection of 83 of Ashbrook's "Astronomical
Scrapbook" columns which ran in Sky and Telescope for 23 years. This
is a perfect book to sample for a few minutes when you want to enjoy
something astronomical, historical and invariably interesting. The
topics are very much selected with amateur astronomer interest in
mind. Wonderful.

I second this.

2. "The History Of The Telescope" by Henry King. It's what the title
says, covering up to about the 1960's. Very readable and entertaining
for those interested in telescopes.

Second this, too.

_Alvan Clark & Sons: Artists in Optics_ is another choice for some
telescope history.

SAA people may especially like
reading of the refractor vs reflector battles over various centuries!
One wonders what Fraunhofer would have been like as a poster. : )

Someone would have complained that he and the Clarks didn't build scopes
fast enough to keep up with demand. ;-)

3. "The Perfect Machine" by Ronald Florence. Well written history of
the epic building of the 200 inch reflector at Palomar. I believe
there are several books on this subject - I read this one and liked
it. If you have never read about Palomar and you like telescopes,
history and astronomy then do yourself a favor and find an account of
this incredible story.

Jeff Marsh
Pittsburgh, PA

Agreed.

Regards,
Russell
Old July 25th 03, 05:23 AM
socalsw

Thanks to you all for your suggestions. I will likely look to the
library for a number of the out of print books, so no worries there.
I was surprised to see that _The Perfect Machine_ is out of print. I
am up at Palomar visiting family every so often, and this book is
available both at the Observatory gift shop and at the general store
up on the mountain, as well as a number of places here in San Diego.
I have actually begun it as well. Thanks again for the advice.

Erik
socalsw

[...]

for those interested in telescopes. SAA people may especially like