ASTRO: Supernova 2007be in Spiral Galaxy UGC 7800

Old April 22nd 07, 05:41 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

Default ASTRO: Supernova 2007be in Spiral Galaxy UGC 7800

By the time I got to imaging this one my brain was frazzled from spending
about 4 hours showing over a hundred people stuff like planets, open
clusters in Auriga and galaxies in Leo. As a result I didn't notice that
this image was a little out of focus.

SN 2007be is a Type II supernova discovered on April 7th by Stefano Moretti
and Salvatore Tomasell. I measured it as magnitude 17.00 at 4:10 UT on April
21, 2007.

UGC 7800 is one of the many dim background galaxies in Virgo. It's about a
arc minute long and 15th magnitude.

The image is a 15 minute exposure with an SBIG STL-1301E camera on an OGS
20-inch F/8.1 RC Cass. Measurements from TheSky show the image size is 13x16
arc minutes, with South at the top. The scale is .78 arc seconds per pixel.

For more info see: http://www.kopernik.org/images/archive/u7800.htm

George N

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	u7800.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	714

Old April 22nd 07, 12:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

George,

I was missing your supernova images :-) The galaxy itself is not too
exciting, but that's not your fault ;-)

Stefan

Old April 22nd 07, 07:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

Happy you found the time to get the image George.. Nice that the obs is
still running.

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com

Old April 24th 07, 01:36 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Stefan Lilge" wrote
George,

I was missing your supernova images :-) The galaxy itself is not too
exciting, but that's not your fault ;-)

Stefan,

I'm sure that that galaxy would rival M-31 if I was observing from 2
million light years away from it!

George N